Hank Gillette

Default Link Belt Source?

I bought a 1/2 inch link belt for my General Table Saw

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...ge=30051&categ
ory=1,240,41067

Unfortunately, the 1/2 inch is too wide for my saw and keeps slipping
off. I understand that the manufacturer also makes a 3/8 inch version,
but non of the usual sources (Lee Valley, Rocker, Woodcraft) mention
anything but the 1/2 inch version. Does anyone know a source for the
narrower belt?

Thank,

--
Hank Gillette
TeamCasa

Why a link belt? They are inherently weaker and do not transfer 100% of the
motor power to the blade. The only advantage I can see is they may reduce
some vibration in applications where the device does not get used often
enough to keep a standard v-belt flexible enough.

After all, they were originally designed as an emergency fan belt
replacement and never intended for a permanent replacement.

Dave

"Hank Gillette" wrote in message
I bought a 1/2 inch link belt for my General Table Saw

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...ge=30051&categ
ory=1,240,41067

Unfortunately, the 1/2 inch is too wide for my saw and keeps slipping
off. I understand that the manufacturer also makes a 3/8 inch version,
but non of the usual sources (Lee Valley, Rocker, Woodcraft) mention
anything but the 1/2 inch version. Does anyone know a source for the
narrower belt?

Thank,

--
Hank Gillette

Jeff

Hank Gillette wrote:
I bought a 1/2 inch link belt for my General Table Saw

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...ge=30051&categ
ory=1,240,41067

Unfortunately, the 1/2 inch is too wide for my saw and keeps slipping

off. I understand that the manufacturer also makes a 3/8 inch

version,
but non of the usual sources (Lee Valley, Rocker, Woodcraft) mention
anything but the 1/2 inch version. Does anyone know a source for the
narrower belt?

Thank,

--
Hank Gillette

Grizzly has then, I have one on my G0444Z, makes for a lot less
vibration than the belt that came with the saw.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G3639

Jeff

LP

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 10:38:42 -0500, Hank Gillette
wrote:

I bought a 1/2 inch link belt for my General Table Saw

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...ge=30051&categ
ory=1,240,41067

Unfortunately, the 1/2 inch is too wide for my saw and keeps slipping
off. I understand that the manufacturer also makes a 3/8 inch version,
but non of the usual sources (Lee Valley, Rocker, Woodcraft) mention
anything but the 1/2 inch version. Does anyone know a source for the
narrower belt?

Thank,

Go to http://www.grizzly.com and use their search tool to find "link
belt" (without quotes of course). They have them in 3 different
sizes; 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8".
Hank Gillette

In article , "TeamCasa"
wrote:

Why a link belt? They are inherently weaker and do not transfer 100% of the
motor power to the blade. The only advantage I can see is they may reduce
some vibration in applications where the device does not get used often
enough to keep a standard v-belt flexible enough.

After all, they were originally designed as an emergency fan belt
replacement and never intended for a permanent replacement.

The main reason I got one was because my saw came missing the belt and I
figured this was the quickest way to get up and running. Second, I've
heard several good comments about the reduction in vibration.

Fenner (the manufacturer) certainly doesn't position them as a temporary
replacement.

--
Hank Gillette

Hank Gillette

In article ,
LP wrote:

Go to http://www.grizzly.com and use their search tool to find "link
belt" (without quotes of course). They have them in 3 different
sizes; 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8".

Thanks for the pointer.

--
Hank Gillette
Bob

"TeamCasa" wrote in message

After all, they were originally designed as an emergency fan belt
replacement and never intended for a permanent replacement.

What's your source for that information?

Bob

srwood

I disagree, I have link belts on all my machines with no loss of power.
The reduction of vibration is exceptional and they are as tough as
nails.

TeamCasa

Since I was a kid, JCWhitney, PepBoys, United Auto, along with many
independent auto parts houses sold them as emegency fan belts.

The number one manufacturer sells them as emergency belts as well
http://www.cptbelts.com/products/vbe...ist/index.html

Dave

"Bob" wrote in message
news

"TeamCasa" wrote in message

After all, they were originally designed as an emergency fan belt
replacement and never intended for a permanent replacement.

What's your source for that information?

Bob

My Old Tools

Try your local bearing supply house.

--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com
"Hank Gillette" wrote in message
I bought a 1/2 inch link belt for my General Table Saw

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...ge=30051&categ
ory=1,240,41067

Unfortunately, the 1/2 inch is too wide for my saw and keeps slipping
off. I understand that the manufacturer also makes a 3/8 inch version,
but non of the usual sources (Lee Valley, Rocker, Woodcraft) mention
anything but the 1/2 inch version. Does anyone know a source for the
narrower belt?

Thank,

--
Hank Gillette

Darrell Dorsey

"TeamCasa" wrote in message
Why a link belt? They are inherently weaker and do not transfer 100% of
the motor power to the blade.......

What is the source of this info????

Darrell

Slowhand

Woodworkers supply has the 3/8" link belt you were looking for.
SH

patrick conroy

"TeamCasa" wrote in message

Since I was a kid, JCWhitney, PepBoys, United Auto, along with many
independent auto parts houses sold them as emegency fan belts.

Me too - but I think they've grown up.

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:44:47 -0800, "TeamCasa"
wrote:

Since I was a kid, JCWhitney, PepBoys, United Auto, along with many
independent auto parts houses sold them as emegency fan belts.

The number one manufacturer sells them as emergency belts as well
http://www.cptbelts.com/products/vbe...ist/index.html

Dave

"Bob" wrote in message
news

"TeamCasa" wrote in message

After all, they were originally designed as an emergency fan belt
replacement and never intended for a permanent replacement.

What's your source for that information?

Bob

Are those Carlisle belts anywhere near as good as the " la-di-dah
brand? They're extremely inexpensive relatively!! Worth trying for the
vibration reducement.
Thanks,
Art

TeamCasa wrote:
Since I was a kid, JCWhitney, PepBoys, United Auto, along with many
independent auto parts houses sold them as emegency fan belts.

The number one manufacturer sells them as emergency belts as well
http://www.cptbelts.com/products/vbe...ist/index.html

The red link belt material sold by WW places is an industrial product,
not a temporary auto emergency belt. Check the manufacturer's page at
http://www.fennerindustrial.com/prod...twist_ind.html for
details. (The Engineering Data link includes a picture of a 200 HP saw
drive with this stuff that outlasts regular v-belts four to one.)

Tim

Lawrence Wasserman

In article , TeamCasa wrote:
Since I was a kid, JCWhitney, PepBoys, United Auto, along with many
independent auto parts houses sold them as emegency fan belts.

The number one manufacturer sells them as emergency belts as well
http://www.cptbelts.com/products/vbe...ist/index.html

Dave

..snipped...

It's interesting that the instructions included with Fenner link belts
explicitly say NOT to be used in automotive applications. maybe the
JCW belts are different.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Are those Carlisle belts anywhere near as good as the " la-di-dah
brand? They're extremely inexpensive relatively!! Worth trying for

the
vibration reducement.
Thanks,
Art

Art,
Where did you find the Thoro-twist belt at a good price? I've got the
green Harbor Freight link belt (five feet for US$20) on my drill press,
and now I want to get a new belt for my jointer. If I can find the
Thoro-twist for less, I would definitely give it a shot.
Lewis

Ba r r y

wrote:

Since I was a kid, JCWhitney, PepBoys, United Auto, along with many
independent auto parts houses sold them as emegency fan belts.

The number one manufacturer sells them as emergency belts as well
http://www.cptbelts.com/products/vbe...ist/index.html

"Thoro-Twist V-Belting is a perfect candidate for
v-belt drives that have no take-up adjustment capability or, as an
emergency replacement v-belt when the standard v-belt size is not
available. Thoro-Flex can be assembled by hand and rolled onto the
drive just like a bicycle chain. Strong and flexible,
fabric-reinforced urethane rubber construction.

Available in 3L, A, B, & C cross-sections in 100 foot continuous
length rolls."

Was that an "or" in there? G

Barry
My Old Tools

Your local bearing supply house will have it, usually cheaper than the mail
order places.

--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com
wrote:

Since I was a kid, JCWhitney, PepBoys, United Auto, along with many
independent auto parts houses sold them as emegency fan belts.

The number one manufacturer sells them as emergency belts as well
http://www.cptbelts.com/products/vbe...ist/index.html

"Thoro-Twist V-Belting is a perfect candidate for
v-belt drives that have no take-up adjustment capability or, as an
emergency replacement v-belt when the standard v-belt size is not
available. Thoro-Flex can be assembled by hand and rolled onto the
drive just like a bicycle chain. Strong and flexible,
fabric-reinforced urethane rubber construction.

Available in 3L, A, B, & C cross-sections in 100 foot continuous
length rolls."

Was that an "or" in there? G

Barry

rhncue

Machinery belts and automotive belts look the same but actually have a
different pitch. Interchanging them will cause slipping of the belt.
Dick

--
Richard H. Neighbors
Building fine pool cues for real pool players at affordable prices.