Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Machinery moving

I moved my Interact 2 mill in its intended permanent place. It was on
casters, but moving took about 4 hours and left me completely
exhausted. This Interact 2 weighs 5,500 lbs and the urethane casters
had a lot of friction. Everything was difficult, such as turning the
mill around, moving it, etc. Every millimeter needed to be moved with
a prybar or a chaon from my pickup. The work ended at 3:30am.

As of now, the new mill is in its permanent place and I am completely
exhausted.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

---------------chain----

As of now, the new mill is in its permanent place and I am completely
exhausted.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus14340 wrote:

I moved my Interact 2 mill in its intended permanent place. It was on
casters, but moving took about 4 hours and left me completely
exhausted. This Interact 2 weighs 5,500 lbs and the urethane casters
had a lot of friction. Everything was difficult, such as turning the
mill around, moving it, etc. Every millimeter needed to be moved with
a prybar or a chaon from my pickup. The work ended at 3:30am.

As of now, the new mill is in its permanent place and I am completely
exhausted.

Have a beer, you earned it.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You need some neighbors - or some bigger kids.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 13:09:20 -0500, Ignoramus14340
wrote:

I moved my Interact 2 mill in its intended permanent place. It was on
casters, but moving took about 4 hours and left me completely
exhausted. This Interact 2 weighs 5,500 lbs and the urethane casters
had a lot of friction. Everything was difficult, such as turning the
mill around, moving it, etc. Every millimeter needed to be moved with
a prybar or a chaon from my pickup. The work ended at 3:30am.

As of now, the new mill is in its permanent place and I am completely
exhausted.

Next time..use steel wheels or pipe. Goes much easier.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Until next time. :-)

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 9/18/2010 1:09 PM, Ignoramus14340 wrote:
I moved my Interact 2 mill in its intended permanent place. It was on
casters, but moving took about 4 hours and left me completely
exhausted. This Interact 2 weighs 5,500 lbs and the urethane casters
had a lot of friction. Everything was difficult, such as turning the
mill around, moving it, etc. Every millimeter needed to be moved with
a prybar or a chaon from my pickup. The work ended at 3:30am.

As of now, the new mill is in its permanent place and I am completely
exhausted.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I moved my Interact 2 mill in its intended permanent place. It was on
casters, but moving took about 4 hours and left me completely
exhausted. This Interact 2 weighs 5,500 lbs and the urethane casters
had a lot of friction. Everything was difficult, such as turning the
mill around, moving it, etc. Every millimeter needed to be moved with
a prybar or a chaon from my pickup. The work ended at 3:30am.

As of now, the new mill is in its permanent place and I am completely
exhausted.

Next time..use steel wheels or pipe. Goes much easier.

Prybars cannot easily lift this mill, so it is hard to use pipe. It is
very heavy. I wished I ha da toe jack. I did something weird to lift
the mill, but ot was iffy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I moved my Interact 2 mill in its intended permanent place. It was on
casters, but moving took about 4 hours and left me completely
exhausted. This Interact 2 weighs 5,500 lbs and the urethane casters
had a lot of friction. Everything was difficult, such as turning the
mill around, moving it, etc. Every millimeter needed to be moved with
a prybar or a chaon from my pickup. The work ended at 3:30am.

As of now, the new mill is in its permanent place and I am completely
exhausted.

Next time..use steel wheels or pipe. Goes much easier.

Prybars cannot easily lift this mill, so it is hard to use pipe. It is
very heavy. I wished I ha da toe jack. I did something weird to lift
the mill, but ot was iffy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Simplex-84-A-Rai...-/270634589161
http://cgi.ebay.com/Simplex-No-86-5-...-/220670536871

While you are out at auction sites...keep your eyes out for these. The
84 and 85 models. One just lifts a bit taller than the other. Shrug.
They are utterly invaluable if used properly for this sort of thing
Ive got a number of them and they have been a job saver par excellance!!

The most Ive ever paid for one was $50

Ive made some "extenders" that bring the hook out a bit farther, that I
can drive under a machine, then slide the jack under it..and lift. Lift
and stick pipe under it, etc. Very easy to do.

They are ****ing marvelous if you use them carefuly.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I moved my Interact 2 mill in its intended permanent place. It was on
casters, but moving took about 4 hours and left me completely
exhausted. This Interact 2 weighs 5,500 lbs and the urethane casters
had a lot of friction. Everything was difficult, such as turning the
mill around, moving it, etc. Every millimeter needed to be moved with
a prybar or a chaon from my pickup. The work ended at 3:30am.

As of now, the new mill is in its permanent place and I am completely
exhausted.

Next time..use steel wheels or pipe. Goes much easier.

Ig's the type to have built his own machinery skates by now, I'da
thunk. He made casters for his drill press, IIRC.

--
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for
anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I moved my Interact 2 mill in its intended permanent place. It was on
casters, but moving took about 4 hours and left me completely
exhausted. This Interact 2 weighs 5,500 lbs and the urethane casters
had a lot of friction. Everything was difficult, such as turning the
mill around, moving it, etc. Every millimeter needed to be moved with
a prybar or a chaon from my pickup. The work ended at 3:30am.

As of now, the new mill is in its permanent place and I am completely
exhausted.

Next time..use steel wheels or pipe. Goes much easier.

Ig's the type to have built his own machinery skates by now, I'da
thunk. He made casters for his drill press, IIRC.

Not for the drill press, no.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I moved my Interact 2 mill in its intended permanent place. It was on
casters, but moving took about 4 hours and left me completely
exhausted. This Interact 2 weighs 5,500 lbs and the urethane casters
had a lot of friction. Everything was difficult, such as turning the
mill around, moving it, etc. Every millimeter needed to be moved with
a prybar or a chaon from my pickup. The work ended at 3:30am.

As of now, the new mill is in its permanent place and I am completely
exhausted.

Next time..use steel wheels or pipe. Goes much easier.

Ig's the type to have built his own machinery skates by now, I'da
thunk. He made casters for his drill press, IIRC.

One has to be VERY careful when using skates. Ive seen more than one
machine turned over when it fell off improperly used skates. And when
many machines fall over..they become "scrap". Skates are for people who
do machinery moving for a living..or have much experience.

Seriously.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I moved my Interact 2 mill in its intended permanent place. It was on
casters, but moving took about 4 hours and left me completely
exhausted. This Interact 2 weighs 5,500 lbs and the urethane casters
had a lot of friction. Everything was difficult, such as turning the
mill around, moving it, etc. Every millimeter needed to be moved with
a prybar or a chaon from my pickup. The work ended at 3:30am.

As of now, the new mill is in its permanent place and I am completely
exhausted.

Next time..use steel wheels or pipe. Goes much easier.

Ig's the type to have built his own machinery skates by now, I'da
thunk. He made casters for his drill press, IIRC.

Not for the drill press, no.

Thinking, thinking, OH, it was for your -hydraulic- press, wasn't it?

--
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for
anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one
tumble down the stairs.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

One has to be VERY careful when using skates. Ive seen more than one
machine turned over when it fell off improperly used skates. And when
many machines fall over..they become "scrap". Skates are for people who
do machinery moving for a living..or have much experience.

Seriously.

Hmm, what's the big deal? I've moved stuff with skates for years. I
guess if you got **** for brains and let a skate come out or don't
keep them well spaced, you'll tip something very heavy. Just go slow
and use common sense.

karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 11:34:50 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

One has to be VERY careful when using skates. Ive seen more than one
machine turned over when it fell off improperly used skates. And when
many machines fall over..they become "scrap". Skates are for people who
do machinery moving for a living..or have much experience.

Seriously.

Hmm, what's the big deal? I've moved stuff with skates for years. I
guess if you got **** for brains and let a skate come out or don't
keep them well spaced, you'll tip something very heavy. Just go slow
and use common sense.

And whatever you do, if it starts to fall, get the **** out of the
way. Don't try to stop 1+ ton of mass with mere mortal muscle like
you would try with a washer, fridge, or armoire. That kind of weight
will take limbs right off ya.

--
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for
anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one
tumble down the stairs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I moved my Interact 2 mill in its intended permanent place. It was on
casters, but moving took about 4 hours and left me completely
exhausted. This Interact 2 weighs 5,500 lbs and the urethane casters
had a lot of friction. Everything was difficult, such as turning the
mill around, moving it, etc. Every millimeter needed to be moved with
a prybar or a chaon from my pickup. The work ended at 3:30am.

As of now, the new mill is in its permanent place and I am completely
exhausted.

Next time..use steel wheels or pipe. Goes much easier.

Ig's the type to have built his own machinery skates by now, I'da
thunk. He made casters for his drill press, IIRC.

Not for the drill press, no.

Thinking, thinking, OH, it was for your -hydraulic- press, wasn't it?

I do not have a -hydraulic- press. :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a jaw of life hydrologic machine. Instead of a beak - I use
extension rods and push upwards to lift off my Lathe so I might put
steel flats under the legs. I level the lathe with the feet off concrete
so the feet might not rust.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

One has to be VERY careful when using skates. Ive seen more than one
machine turned over when it fell off improperly used skates. And when
many machines fall over..they become "scrap". Skates are for people who
do machinery moving for a living..or have much experience.

Seriously.

Hmm, what's the big deal? I've moved stuff with skates for years. I
guess if you got **** for brains and let a skate come out or don't
keep them well spaced, you'll tip something very heavy. Just go slow
and use common sense.

karl

True indeed. And then someone hits a crack in the floor and a skate
comes loose or turns sideways....

As I said....one has to be VERY careful when using skates

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus14340 wrote:
I moved my Interact 2 mill in its intended permanent place. It was on
casters, but moving took about 4 hours and left me completely
exhausted. This Interact 2 weighs 5,500 lbs and the urethane casters
had a lot of friction. Everything was difficult, such as turning the
mill around, moving it, etc. Every millimeter needed to be moved with
a prybar or a chaon from my pickup. The work ended at 3:30am.

I just moved a 1000 Lb sheet metal shear into my shop. I used a comealong
and extension cable. Yes, it was tiring, but not horrible.

I moved my 3500 Lb. Sheldon lathe on 1/2" black iron pipe rollers, and
was easily
able to start it rolling with just me pushing. I did have to stop
frequently to
reposition the rollers.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-20, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus14340 wrote:
I moved my Interact 2 mill in its intended permanent place. It was on
casters, but moving took about 4 hours and left me completely
exhausted. This Interact 2 weighs 5,500 lbs and the urethane casters
had a lot of friction. Everything was difficult, such as turning the
mill around, moving it, etc. Every millimeter needed to be moved with
a prybar or a chaon from my pickup. The work ended at 3:30am.

I just moved a 1000 Lb sheet metal shear into my shop. I used a comealong
and extension cable. Yes, it was tiring, but not horrible.

I moved my 3500 Lb. Sheldon lathe on 1/2" black iron pipe rollers,
and was easily able to start it rolling with just me pushing. I did
have to stop frequently to reposition the rollers.

This Interact was by far the heaviest (5,500 lbs if I am to believe
some people on the internet) and it was very painful. I should have
spent the $$$ on steel wheeled casters, then it would be easy.

I moved my Clausing 14x40 lathe and my old Bridgeport easily. I even
lifted the BP with a chain hoist once and lever hoist another time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I moved my Interact 2 mill in its intended permanent place. It was on
casters, but moving took about 4 hours and left me completely
exhausted. This Interact 2 weighs 5,500 lbs and the urethane casters
had a lot of friction. Everything was difficult, such as turning the
mill around, moving it, etc. Every millimeter needed to be moved with
a prybar or a chaon from my pickup. The work ended at 3:30am.

As of now, the new mill is in its permanent place and I am completely
exhausted.

Next time..use steel wheels or pipe. Goes much easier.

Ig's the type to have built his own machinery skates by now, I'da
thunk. He made casters for his drill press, IIRC.

Not for the drill press, no.

Thinking, thinking, OH, it was for your -hydraulic- press, wasn't it?

I do not have a -hydraulic- press. :-)

Hmm, I thought that was you. Who here DID make the wheelie thang for
the press? It was a solid metal project, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't
someone from the Wreck...

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 23:34:33 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Ignoramus14340 wrote:
I moved my Interact 2 mill in its intended permanent place. It was on
casters, but moving took about 4 hours and left me completely
exhausted. This Interact 2 weighs 5,500 lbs and the urethane casters
had a lot of friction. Everything was difficult, such as turning the
mill around, moving it, etc. Every millimeter needed to be moved with
a prybar or a chaon from my pickup. The work ended at 3:30am.

I just moved a 1000 Lb sheet metal shear into my shop. I used a comealong
and extension cable. Yes, it was tiring, but not horrible.

It was about that time that you wished you owned one of the $49 HF
winches, wasn't it? Every time I use my comealong I think of that.

I moved my 3500 Lb. Sheldon lathe on 1/2" black iron pipe rollers, and
was easily
able to start it rolling with just me pushing. I did have to stop
frequently to
reposition the rollers.

Mechanical advantage is wondrous, isn't it?

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I have a Fasco 5C, a huge ratcheting press, that is on a welding table
which I put on casters.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus14340 wrote:
I moved my Interact 2 mill in its intended permanent place. It was on
casters, but moving took about 4 hours and left me completely
exhausted. This Interact 2 weighs 5,500 lbs and the urethane casters
had a lot of friction. Everything was difficult, such as turning the
mill around, moving it, etc. Every millimeter needed to be moved with
a prybar or a chaon from my pickup. The work ended at 3:30am.

I just moved a 1000 Lb sheet metal shear into my shop. I used a comealong
and extension cable. Yes, it was tiring, but not horrible.

It was about that time that you wished you owned one of the $49 HF
winches, wasn't it? Every time I use my comealong I think of that.

It's safer to use the comealong, or a ratchet puller. An electric winch
doesn't give you the fine control you need to move heavy stuff safely.

A Port-o-Power hydraulic kit is really a required thing to have if you
do any sort of heavy rigging / moving. It functions as a lifting wedge,
toe jack, pusher, and with optional accessories as a puller as well, and
all with slow, precise hydraulic movement. The separate hose connected
hand pump also lets you control it from a safer position, and extension
hoses are available for more distance.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I moved my 3500 Lb. Sheldon lathe on 1/2" black iron pipe rollers, and
was easily
able to start it rolling with just me pushing. I did have to stop
frequently to
reposition the rollers.

Mechanical advantage is wondrous, isn't it?

There was no mechanical advantage at all. The boxy legs of the lathe
were on pairs of rollers each. I just gave it a shove, and it started
rolling. I have a remarkably smooth concrete floor. When I first moved
in 20+ years ago, I got my Bridgeport in the door, and then went
upstairs to get my crowbar. By the time I got back, two friends of mine
had shoved the Bridgeport entirely across the floor to the opposite
end of the room, with nothing but a little hip-butting! No rollers!
I was amazed.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just moved a 1000 Lb sheet metal shear into my shop. I used a comealong
and extension cable. Yes, it was tiring, but not horrible.

It was about that time that you wished you owned one of the $49 HF
winches, wasn't it? Every time I use my comealong I think of that.

It's safer to use the comealong, or a ratchet puller. An electric winch
doesn't give you the fine control you need to move heavy stuff safely.

We were winching this up a bit of incline on a sheet of plywood, with
some aluminum scraps under the legs to provide a bit of a sliding
surface, so the legs didn't dig into the plywood. Also, the handy place
to hitch the comealong was not a perfect line to the doorway, so we had
to keep prying the shear over in line with the door. I really don't
think a power winch would have been much good due to all the
repositioning. Also, the feel on the comealong would tell me when the
feet were digging into the wood, or similar jam-up.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I moved my 3500 Lb. Sheldon lathe on 1/2" black iron pipe rollers, and
was easily
able to start it rolling with just me pushing. I did have to stop
frequently to
reposition the rollers.

Mechanical advantage is wondrous, isn't it?

There was no mechanical advantage at all. The boxy legs of the lathe
were on pairs of rollers each.

Hmm, I suppose I did use that term improperly. Let's see: drag across
the floor or roll across the floor on pipes. It was a definite and
advantageous use of of physics which helped reduce your efforts.

I just gave it a shove, and it started
rolling. I have a remarkably smooth concrete floor. When I first moved
in 20+ years ago, I got my Bridgeport in the door, and then went
upstairs to get my crowbar. By the time I got back, two friends of mine
had shoved the Bridgeport entirely across the floor to the opposite
end of the room, with nothing but a little hip-butting! No rollers!
I was amazed.

Great! Sometimes you find two flat pieces which just happen create
that cushion of air. Air pucks can now be used on smooth, flat
surfaces to float machines around. They work wonderfully once you
bump that mass into motion.

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-20, Jon Elson wrote:

[ ... ]

I just moved a 1000 Lb sheet metal shear into my shop. I used a comealong
and extension cable. Yes, it was tiring, but not horrible.

I moved my 3500 Lb. Sheldon lathe on 1/2" black iron pipe rollers,
and was easily able to start it rolling with just me pushing. I did
have to stop frequently to reposition the rollers.

This Interact was by far the heaviest (5,500 lbs if I am to believe
some people on the internet)

How many old style power supplies did you pull out and replace
with switching power supplies? I figure that when I strip the mag amps
and a bunch of the power supply transformers for my Bridgeport Series-I
BOSS-3 out I will have lost 800 pounds or more of the original 3500
pounds. :-)

I would say, 60 lbs worth or so is the net weight difference.

and it was very painful. I should have
spent the $$$ on steel wheeled casters, then it would be easy.

Well ... *easier* at least. There are some things for which
yielding casters are not right. :-)

I moved my Clausing 14x40 lathe and my old Bridgeport easily. I even
lifted the BP with a chain hoist once and lever hoist another time.

Of course, the old BP did not have the electronics and the servo
or stepper motors that your new one does/did. I figure that I'll lose
20 pounds just from the change from steppers to servos. :-)

I lost 5 lbs working on this mill.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-20, Jon Elson wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I guess it depends on the speed. I got a dandy one for getting stuff
out of the basement up a plywood ramp. It has a pendant control,
worked great. It was slow enough to allow stops for inspection, etc.

I posted a few pics back when, last October?

Pete Keillor

Machinery moving skates Mike M[_3_] Metalworking 3 January 21st 10 11:43 AM
Moving machinery RoyJ Metalworking 5 October 29th 08 11:04 PM
Machinery-moving mattock (pry bar) -- new project page Richard J Kinch Metalworking 8 February 11th 05 09:30 PM
The IDEAL Machinery Moving Trailer? dhost Metalworking 0 February 11th 04 11:02 PM
The IDEAL Machinery Moving Trailer? Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 56 January 12th 04 06:01 PM