Richard J Kinch

Default Machinery-moving mattock (pry bar) -- new project page

This new page describes my mattock tool, a kind of pry bar for moving heavy
machinery by hand:

http://www.truetex.com/mattock.htm

May I suggest sharpening the tip of the tongue so it can be driven
under an object setting on a floor. Your tool looks a little like the
"bird's foot" tool I picked up from an abandonded railroad track
several years go.

Paul

Grant Erwin

Richard J Kinch wrote:

This new page describes my mattock tool, a kind of pry bar for moving heavy
machinery by hand:

http://www.truetex.com/mattock.htm

I've heard these called "Johnson bars". Interesting to see your take on it.
Contrast with another rcm'er-made bar at http://www.dogpatch.com/bobp/shop/mover.htm

GWE
Greg Postma

Grant Erwin wrote:

I've heard these called "Johnson bars".

This is what we called "Johnson Bars"

http://www.gilmorekramer.com/more_in..._dollies.shtml

I once asked a grizzled old rigger why they were called "Johnson bars",
he replied"Cuz if ya slip when you're using one, it jump right up and
slaps ya in your Johnson". He then added, " The name Johnson bar sounds
a whole lot better than "Nut Crusher".

I had to agree.

Richard J Kinch

Grant Erwin writes:

http://www.truetex.com/mattock.htm

I've heard these called "Johnson bars".

No, that's a different item in both design and function. The J-bar is
designed to roll with minimum lift height. Mine is designed to stay put
and lift high enough to get 1" roller-bars underneath.

Don Foreman

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:49:37 -0600, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Grant Erwin writes:

http://www.truetex.com/mattock.htm

I've heard these called "Johnson bars".

No, that's a different item in both design and function. The J-bar is
designed to roll with minimum lift height. Mine is designed to stay put
and lift high enough to get 1" roller-bars underneath.

In Minnesota, land of many Johnsons, the Johnson bar is basicially a
hooked bar lacking the Kinch improvement of the load-spreading roller.
The degree of hook defines the range of lift. My J-bar has enough
hook to lift a mill so pipes can be placed to roll it around.

Load-spreading roller is a good idea, but it's still line contact on
the floor. Another approach is to use a load-spreading plate of
1/4 or thicker steel under the Jbar.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
This new page describes my mattock tool, a kind of pry bar for moving

heavy
machinery by hand:

http://www.truetex.com/mattock.htm

I'm not surprised the handle stub bent. But I am surprised that those
glommy welds didn't bust. Be careful under heavy loads, Richard. Even a
drop of one inch on an old Cincy#2 will hurt you, the floor, or the machine!

BTW... many of the old machines had a recess here and there on the base
skirt under which to get a purchase for prying. Even if you couldn't do it
in one lift, you could get an edge up with a flattened pry bar, then shim it
up until you got the big Johnson under it.

LLoyd

LLoyd

Richard J Kinch

Don Foreman writes:

Load-spreading roller is a good idea, but it's still line contact on
the floor.

Thus my suggestion to insert a cushion of hard polyethylene. This spreads
the force well below concrete's compression strength. Or a sandwich
including a steel plate; the principle is one of "impedance matching".
Wild Bill

I've used the Johnson type, wooden handled with 2 cast iron wheels. It's one
of those very effective basic tool designs of yesteryear. I suppose the
wheels help prevent slippage, in the way that wheels on a floor jack allow
it to move as the load is lifted.

Maybe Johnson bar contributed to the expression
A real man would lift that with his dick

WB