Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default fa: New, sealed, late 70s huge Mitutoyo micrometer head

here's the link

I was able to find the manual page for this on line, so that link is on the
auction page - very nice, very huge - I wonder what its original application
was - anyone got a Mitutoyo catalog from about 1980? Can you look up
252-372 micrometer head and tell me what it was supposed to be used for?
Just curious.

--
Bill -
www.wbnoble.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
here's the link

I was able to find the manual page for this on line, so that link is on
the auction page - very nice, very huge - I wonder what its original
application was - anyone got a Mitutoyo catalog from about 1980? Can you
look up 252-372 micrometer head and tell me what it was supposed to be
used for? Just curious.

--
Bill -
www.wbnoble.com

It goes on a optical camparator like this one:
http://www.solomonmachinery.com/othe...oyoPH350-1.jpg
http://www.solomonmachinery.com/othe...oyoPH350-2.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 21:34:37 -0700, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

here's the link

I was able to find the manual page for this on line, so that link is on the
auction page - very nice, very huge - I wonder what its original application
was - anyone got a Mitutoyo catalog from about 1980? Can you look up
252-372 micrometer head and tell me what it was supposed to be used for?
Just curious.

Not shown in 1975 catalog 1100
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Noble wrote:
here's the link

I was able to find the manual page for this on line, so that link is on
the auction page - very nice, very huge - I wonder what its original
application was - anyone got a Mitutoyo catalog from about 1980? Can you
look up 252-372 micrometer head and tell me what it was supposed to be
used for? Just curious.

I've seen micrometer heads nearly this big on
chambers of scanning electron microscopes.

They are used to move the internal stage.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-01, Bill Noble wrote:
here's the link

I was able to find the manual page for this on line, so that link is on the
auction page - very nice, very huge - I wonder what its original application
was - anyone got a Mitutoyo catalog from about 1980? Can you look up
252-372 micrometer head and tell me what it was supposed to be used for?
Just curious.

Well ... if the digits are oriented so it can be read with the
thimble on top and the spindle down, it could be for a "Cadillac gauge",
which is a stack of 1/2" gauge blocks alternating in and out to provide
precise 1/2" spacings which is driven vertically by a large diameter
micrometer thimble (and double-checked by a large diameter 1" travel
dial indicator) to allow setting the steps to precise heights for
setting a height gauge. I know that both Starrett and B&S made them
(though the catalogs did not call them "Cadillac gauges", I've heard
that elsewhere).

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"anorton" wrote in message
m...

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
here's the link

I was able to find the manual page for this on line, so that link is on
the auction page - very nice, very huge - I wonder what its original
application was - anyone got a Mitutoyo catalog from about 1980? Can you
look up 252-372 micrometer head and tell me what it was supposed to be
used for? Just curious.

--
Bill -
www.wbnoble.com

It goes on a optical camparator like this one:
http://www.solomonmachinery.com/othe...oyoPH350-1.jpg
http://www.solomonmachinery.com/othe...oyoPH350-2.jpg

thanks - that's it all right, and the counters make sense, run to one edge,
zero the counter, then run to the other edge and get reading - do the same
on the reference with the other counter?