Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mitutoyo reader head

Got a sweet Leblond Tool & Diemaker lathe last week from HGR Surplus in
Euclid, Ohio. The Mitutoyo y axis scale reader head has its' signal
wires pulled off the heads' circuit board. Might anyone have the color
code diagram for one of these heads? No model # on the assembly - looks
like late 70's or early 80's vintage. Called Mitutoyo, they won't fix it
- obsolete based on pictures emailed - but will supply me with a modern
replacement for $325.00. Shame to waste $ for some pulled out wires...
Any help would be appreciated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 18, 11:01*pm, syoung wrote:

Any help would be appreciated.

Can you post a photo or two somewhere?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 19, 4:01 pm, syoung wrote:
Got a sweet Leblond Tool & Diemaker lathe last week from HGR Surplus in
Euclid, Ohio. The Mitutoyo y axis scale reader head has its' signal
wires pulled off the heads' circuit board. Might anyone have the color
code diagram for one of these heads? No model # on the assembly - looks
like late 70's or early 80's vintage. Called Mitutoyo, they won't fix it
- obsolete based on pictures emailed - but will supply me with a modern
replacement for $325.00. Shame to waste $ for some pulled out wires...
Any help would be appreciated.

Assuming it has a Y axis DRO of the same vintage/make, the colour
codes SHOULD be the same....put the covers off, have a look

Andrew VK3BFA.

Andrew VK3BFA
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 19, 2:23*am, N Morrison wrote:
On Jun 18, 11:01*pm, syoung wrote:

Any help would be appreciated.

Can you post a photo or two somewhere?

Posted at the Metalworking dropbox as "mitutoyowiring". Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 19, 2:57*am, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
On Jun 19, 4:01 pm, syoung wrote:

Got a sweet Leblond Tool & Diemaker lathe last week from HGR Surplus in
Euclid, Ohio. The Mitutoyo y axis scale reader head has its' signal
wires pulled off the heads' circuit board. Might anyone have the color
code diagram for one of these heads? No model # on the assembly - looks
like late 70's or early 80's vintage. Called Mitutoyo, they won't fix it
- obsolete based on pictures emailed - but will supply me with a modern
replacement for $325.00. Shame to waste $ for some pulled out wires...
Any help would be appreciated.

Assuming it has a Y axis DRO of the same vintage/make, the colour
codes SHOULD be the same....put the covers off, have a look

Andrew VK3BFA.

Andrew VK3BFA

The X axis is different than y axis.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 19, 5:33*am, steve wrote:

Can you post a photo or two somewhere?

Posted at the Metalworking dropbox as "mitutoyowiring". Thanks

??? Where ???
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If the reader heads of the X and Y scales appear to be nearly identical,
removing the small cover from the scale that is working could very likely
reveal the wiring order on the one with the pulled wires.
If the little covers have sealant applied to them, cleaning off the old
sealer and replacing it with some new sealer should insure that liquid
drippage will be kept out of the reader head housings.

Checking the individual leads for continuity while flexing and rolling the
lead bundle slightly with your fingertips could confirm that there aren't
any other intermittent breaks in the cable leads before concluding that the
repair is finished.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"syoung" wrote in message
Got a sweet Leblond Tool & Diemaker lathe last week from HGR Surplus in
Euclid, Ohio. The Mitutoyo y axis scale reader head has its' signal wires
pulled off the heads' circuit board. Might anyone have the color code
diagram for one of these heads? No model # on the assembly - looks like
late 70's or early 80's vintage. Called Mitutoyo, they won't fix it -
obsolete based on pictures emailed - but will supply me with a modern
replacement for $325.00. Shame to waste $ for some pulled out wires... Any
help would be appreciated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 19, 11:08 am, N Morrison wrote:
On Jun 19, 5:33 am, steve wrote:

Can you post a photo or two somewhere?

Posted at the Metalworking dropbox as "mitutoyowiring". Thanks

??? Where ???

Here - http://metalworking.com/ click on "Dropbox Files"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 19, 5:33 am, steve wrote:

Can you post a photo or two somewhere?
Posted at the Metalworking dropbox as "mitutoyowiring". Thanks

??? Where ???

Here - http://metalworking.com/ click on "Dropbox Files"

http://metalworking.com/dropbox/mitutoyowiring.txt
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/mitutoyowiring.JPG

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:33:22 -0700 (PDT), steve
wrote:

On Jun 19, 2:23*am, N Morrison wrote:
On Jun 18, 11:01*pm, syoung wrote:

Any help would be appreciated.

Can you post a photo or two somewhere?

Posted at the Metalworking dropbox as "mitutoyowiring". Thanks

Hey Steve,

I would expect them to go on in the same order as they "lay". Looking
at your pix, the blue wire is still attached, and all the wires appear
to be still "trapped". I'd re-solder in that order.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

syoung wrote:
Got a sweet Leblond Tool & Diemaker lathe last week from HGR Surplus in
Euclid, Ohio. The Mitutoyo y axis scale reader head has its' signal
wires pulled off the heads' circuit board. Might anyone have the color
code diagram for one of these heads? No model # on the assembly - looks
like late 70's or early 80's vintage. Called Mitutoyo, they won't fix it
- obsolete based on pictures emailed - but will supply me with a modern
replacement for $325.00. Shame to waste $ for some pulled out wires...
Any help would be appreciated.

What model of display box does it have? I have a
DRO called a "PL Counter" with two
different styles of scales on it. A "standard"
scale on the Z, and a "mini" scale on the X.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:
syoung wrote:
Got a sweet Leblond Tool & Diemaker lathe last week from HGR Surplus
in Euclid, Ohio. The Mitutoyo y axis scale reader head has its' signal
wires pulled off the heads' circuit board. Might anyone have the color
code diagram for one of these heads? No model # on the assembly -
looks like late 70's or early 80's vintage. Called Mitutoyo, they
won't fix it - obsolete based on pictures emailed - but will supply me
with a modern replacement for $325.00. Shame to waste $ for some
pulled out wires... Any help would be appreciated.

What model of display box does it have? I have a DRO called a "PL
Counter" with two
different styles of scales on it. A "standard" scale on the Z, and a
"mini" scale on the X.

Jon

Your box sounds like the one I have - 325 PL. Mine has the mini scale on
the y axis.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Jun 19, 2:23 am, N Morrison wrote:
On Jun 18, 11:01 pm, syoung wrote:

Any help would be appreciated.
Can you post a photo or two somewhere?

Posted at the Metalworking dropbox as "mitutoyowiring". Thanks

Hey Steve,

I would expect them to go on in the same order as they "lay". Looking
at your pix, the blue wire is still attached, and all the wires appear
to be still "trapped". I'd re-solder in that order.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

I think I'll give it a try, thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 02:01:53 -0400, syoung wrote:

Got a sweet Leblond Tool & Diemaker lathe last week from HGR Surplus in
Euclid, Ohio. The Mitutoyo y axis scale reader head has its' signal
wires pulled off the heads' circuit board. Might anyone have the color
code diagram for one of these heads? No model # on the assembly - looks
like late 70's or early 80's vintage. Called Mitutoyo, they won't fix it
- obsolete based on pictures emailed - but will supply me with a modern
replacement for $325.00. Shame to waste $ for some pulled out wires...
Any help would be appreciated.

I think...think I have a complete Mity rig out in the trailer...Ill be
unloading today and tommorow. Ill check for you.

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

syoung wrote:
Jon Elson wrote:
syoung wrote:
[...]

Ugh. The problem is it is quite involved to get
the scale off the machine and back on and properly
aligned. As you've discovered, they are also a
bit delicate, so there is some possibility of
damage in taking it all apart. So, I'm kind of
hesitant to take mine apart to get a look at the
wire ordering. I hope somebody else has one off a
machine to look at.

Oh, yeah, the "Y" business. Mine is labeled "Y"
also, but by definition, it should be Z for the
carriage and X for the cross slide.

Jon