Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default fa: New, sealed, late 70s huge Mitutoyo micrometer head

On 2010-09-01, Bill Noble wrote:
here's the link

I was able to find the manual page for this on line, so that link is on the
auction page - very nice, very huge - I wonder what its original application
was - anyone got a Mitutoyo catalog from about 1980? Can you look up
252-372 micrometer head and tell me what it was supposed to be used for?
Just curious.

Well ... if the digits are oriented so it can be read with the
thimble on top and the spindle down, it could be for a "Cadillac gauge",
which is a stack of 1/2" gauge blocks alternating in and out to provide
precise 1/2" spacings which is driven vertically by a large diameter
micrometer thimble (and double-checked by a large diameter 1" travel
dial indicator) to allow setting the steps to precise heights for
setting a height gauge. I know that both Starrett and B&S made them
(though the catalogs did not call them "Cadillac gauges", I've heard
that elsewhere).

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564