Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sorry to say, but it had to happen eventually

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 12:16:10 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message ...
8 people were killed and 12 were seriously injured in a San Bernardino
offroad race when one of the cars crashed and went into the crowd.

"The crowd was standing within 10 feet of the track with no guard rails
separating them from the speeding vehicles".
AP Writer

I have seen a lot of videos of crashes all over the world, and wondered when
one of these would happen. I think there are times when the crowds are so
close, particularly in some foreign countries where they run over road
courses, that a death toll of 50-100 would be possible.

I was in Sandy Eggo harbor watching a Thunderboat race (Miss Budweiser
won, again) eons ago. We were on the outside of a turn, standing hip
deep in the water with a sixer in each hand. The boats were at most
50' away doing about 90kph and sliding sideways. If one had lost it,
at least a hundred people would have died or been severaly mashed,
including my friends and me. I haven't done anything stupid like that
since I sobered up.

I have been to these races, and they are exciting to watch. At the first
one, a dirt race truck kicked out a softball size rock that went about five
feet over my head. I was fairly close to the track. Ever since, I pick my
looking spots with safety in mind.

Ayup, always upwind, on the inside of the curve, or whatever.

Condolences to families and friends.

Ditto.