Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I-Beam Trolley Ideas

I've been forgetting to ask if there are any great ways to design a
I-beam trolley for a winch. Awhile back we unloaded a machine and the
chain slipped around a cast part and jarred the whole crane
contraption I have in the shop. The light weight electric hoist
trolley that wasn't in use jumped up and pivoted right off and came
slamming down.

Anyhow, now I don't trust this thing and have to make one myself.
Pictures would probably be enough to go on. I just come up with
bearings on bolts or I could make pins, but unsure if I should mill up
some sides and then weld up a channel and then weld the pins in place
or what. Four wheels, or 6, and should they be slightly angled to
match the tapered beam? The end of the beam doesn't have access.

Maybe I'm just hung up on the idea of being able to take it apart. Is
that really necessary? Hmmm I guess it would be a bitch cutting the
thing off if (?) I destroy it.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 21, 1:38*pm, Sunworshipper wrote:
[...]

This is a 1 Ton HF trolley on rails made of 3" channel iron:
http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/F...88504883032706

I had to turn the trolley wheels down to fit into the channel.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-p...ley-97392.html
The text is wrong, there are no gears and the bearings on mine weren't
sealed.
It disassembles easily by removing the nuts on the large shaft.

Three inch channel is marginal or inadequate for a ton but I don't
think I've lifted half that with it yet.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Sunworshipper wrote:

I've been forgetting to ask if there are any great ways to design a
I-beam trolley for a winch. Awhile back we unloaded a machine and the
chain slipped around a cast part and jarred the whole crane
contraption I have in the shop. The light weight electric hoist
trolley that wasn't in use jumped up and pivoted right off and came
slamming down.

A properly designed and installed trolley should not be able to jump
off, even if the wheels are destroyed. However, it's all too common that
they are not installed correctly, especially if they are also adjustable
to fit multiple sizes of beam. IIRC, it was one of those (locking pins
not installed) that ended the long run of no lost time accidents at the
local paper mill at a bit over half-a-million manhours. It hurts when
one falls on your head, even if you did remember your hard-hat.

Anyway, the design should include flanges that are secured running close
enough to the web that there is no way to get the trolley off without
taking it apart, and means of securing it together that cannot become
unscrewed (cotter pins or the like on nuts and bolts). It's hopefully
obvious that the flanges need to be strong enough to support the entire
load plus considerable safety factor, as they would only come into play
if the wheels are destroyed, probably indicating an overload condition.

There's probably also a good argument for not building one yourself, as
opposed to buying one that's properly designed and then properly
installing it, overhead lifting devices being the load of liability that
they are, but I suspect you don't want to hear that. If you happen to
have a licensed mechanical engineer friend, have them sign off on the
design...and be willing to pay a few bucks for that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 11:04:42 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

[...]

Maybe two large bolts with large dia. bushings to hold it together.
I'll have to think about that, but that is what I'm looking for in
ideas. The beam is 6" tall X 4"

Thanks

Oh, where are you? I was looking at your bike saw mill, interesting.
I've only seen one in action, round tires and the blade doesn't come
off? The uncle inlaw is making a large one, someday I need to find
some trees and make some cool furniture.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 14:05:57 -0400, Ecnerwal
wrote:

In article ,
Sunworshipper wrote:

[...]

Yeah yeah, I know. Hey, it will be better than what was up there.

http://hoists.apluswhs.com/hoist-tro...adius-trolley/

Wow, they are pricey, A? Well, I don't like it anymore.

I hear ya, sounds like good advice except the hiring and Engineer.

I almost got killed by one way back when. Was doing diesel cranks and
set one in one of the three machines and rolled the hoist out of the
way a bit with the chain. Then turned back to one of the other
machines for a special tool and heard chain links piling up. Ya should
have seen the dent in the machine and the floor. The boss was ****ed,
he was SCREAMING at me " That thing has been up there since 1951 and
nobody else ran it off the end before ! They didn't even drill a hole
in the end and put a bolt for a stop!

SW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Sunworshipper" wrote in message
[...]

To start off, I'm not really sure what you're talking about totally, so if I
step on my proboscis, pardon me. I had a sweet! I beam dolly setup once.
All it was consisted of a 4" i beam and a Dayton trolley. Then the hoist
rolled on the I beam. Look at Dayton stuff, and probably like
NorthernTools.com and see if that's what you're looking for. Good stuff,
and very accurate. If you're not going to need a high safe working load,
you can probably go with one of the Chinese brands. However, I suggest if
you are going to push 75% of SWL, bite the bullet and get a good one. When
they fail, it's usually messy. Overhead installation and support is a whole
nuther thing, but no biggie for a welder/metalworker.

They DO make trolleys to match beams exactly, and there's no way you can get
them off except off the ends. They are simple, and sweet.

Steve

Get your free book while they last. They're electronic, and the supply is
endless, but they are going FAST! ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 21, 5:12*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
...Look at Dayton stuff, and probably like
NorthernTools.com and see if that's what you're looking for. *Good stuff,
and very accurate. *If you're not going to need a high safe working load,
you can probably go with one of the Chinese brands. *However, I suggest if
you are going to push 75% of SWL, bite the bullet and get a good one. *When
they fail, it's usually messy. *...

Steve

The HF trolley I bought had pressed-in wheel axles and only shielded
bearings, two of them open on one side. The cast iron wheels machined
about like cheap pipe fittings. If one of the nuts holding it together
wasn't tight enough or worked loose crossing uneven track joints it
could fall apart. IMHO it's OK in a careful home shop but I wouldn't
buy one for industrial use.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 12:38:23 -0500, Sunworshipper wrote:

[...]

As a side note..Ive got a near new 1 ton electric hoist on a 2 ton
Ingersoll Rand powered traveler available at a very fair price....
http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/ForSale#

Also a 1 ton 110vt hoist (same page). Which while not "new" is in very
very very good shape.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Far, far away.

Before stripping it the previous owner burned big smoking circles in
the street until the rear tire was down to the cords. I only had to
even it up a little to get a workable amount of crown. The unworn
front tire took a lot of work with a big angle grinder to flatten.

I don't remember what I finally used to check the tracking, I tried
several metal straps and ways to join them.

Look at the crown on the wheels of a wood bandsaw. When the wheels are
in line and the axles parallel the blade should ride up to the highest
spot and stay there. Little tension is needed, the blade doesn't have
to stretch.

The supplier told me to run their blades at about 5000 feet per
minute:
http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have the small one since I use it for light metal - hundred or so.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...n+push+trolley

It has gears. I searched for 5 ton and got their 1/2 and 1 ton.

The 1/2 has gears for the motor. - It is 120v ac - and runs fast.
It should be above creep moving a heavy load.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 8/21/2010 1:04 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Aug 21, 1:38 pm, wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Aug 21, 1:38*pm, Sunworshipper wrote:

[ ... trolly fell off when load slipped ... ]

This is a 1 Ton HF trolley on rails made of 3" channel iron:
http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/F...88504883032706

I had to turn the trolley wheels down to fit into the channel.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-p...ley-97392.html
The text is wrong, there are no gears and the bearings on mine weren't
sealed.
It disassembles easily by removing the nuts on the large shaft.

Three inch channel is marginal or inadequate for a ton but I don't
think I've lifted half that with it yet.

jsw

Maybe two large bolts with large dia. bushings to hold it together.
I'll have to think about that, but that is what I'm looking for in
ideas. The beam is 6" tall X 4"

Note that the wheels on the shown trolley are tapered to match
the angle of the flanges of the channel iron. Something to bear in
mind when you make your own.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Aug 21, 1:38*pm, Sunworshipper wrote:

[ ... trolly fell off when load slipped ... ]

We had a chain hoist chained over the beam and the other one was
towards the end out of the way and not being used. The chain around
the machine slipped over a rounded spot and moved maybe 1/2", thus
shaking the whole set up. Then the unused one just jumped right off. I
had the thing on there as tight as the wheels would go. ****ty design
or maybe it isn't made to be on that kind of I-beam.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 21, 11:06*pm, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:
This is a 1 Ton HF trolley ...
I had to turn the trolley wheels down to fit into the channel.

* * * * Note that the wheels on the shown trolley are tapered to match
the angle of the flanges of the channel iron. *Something to bear in
mind when you make your own.
* * * * * * * * DoN.

The wheel taper didn't match the channel angle very well. Perhaps it
fits a larger beam better?

One 6203 bearing supports each wheel.
http://www.gizmology.net/bearings.htm

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Aug 21, 11:06 pm, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:
This is a 1 Ton HF trolley ...
I had to turn the trolley wheels down to fit into the channel.

Note that the wheels on the shown trolley are tapered to match
the angle of the flanges of the channel iron. Something to bear in
mind when you make your own.
DoN.

The wheel taper didn't match the channel angle very well. Perhaps it
fits a larger beam better?

One 6203 bearing supports each wheel.
http://www.gizmology.net/bearings.htm

jsw

My first choice is that I would not cut, nor would I use any trolley that
has been altered. They make them for specific beams, so just buy the right
one. Unless you are poor boying it, and not using it for more than 50% of
SWL.

Steve

Get a free electronic book before they run out!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 22, 11:16*am, "Steve B" wrote:

My first choice is that I would not cut, nor would I use any trolley that
has been altered. *They make them for specific beams, so just buy the right
one. *Unless you are poor boying it, and not using it for more than 50% of
SWL.

Steve

Maybe you didn't notice that I felt that way about it BEFORE modifying
it. But the heaviest log in there weighed 700 Lbs green.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The bolts through and washers adjust the wheels so they are captive.

It sounds like the person who installed it was a bit lazy or didn't read.

The load drops from the center and under the wheels.
The washers set the width of the wheels and center the load loop.
It sounds as if someone loosened it to get it over the beam and then
just tightened it back up. Not reading the instructions or ever having them.

Mine can swing side to side - be standing to the side when you lift several
hundred pound sheet of 1/2" steel and it swings towards you finding center.
One hopes the 2 ton magnet holds. I should get another and a spreading bar.

Someday when more flush in cash.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 8/21/2010 10:54 PM, Sunworshipper wrote:
On 22 Aug 2010 03:06:49 GMT, "DoN.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 22, 10:42*pm, "Martin H. Eastburn"
Mine can swing side to side - be standing to the side when you lift several
hundred pound sheet of 1/2" steel and it swings towards you finding center.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks.
I'll look into it. Now to buy another magnet. Ugh. money money.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 8/22/2010 10:11 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Aug 22, 10:42 pm, "Martin H.
Mine can swing side to side - be standing to the side when you lift several
hundred pound sheet of 1/2" steel and it swings towards you finding center.
One hopes the 2 ton magnet holds. I should get another and a spreading bar.

Someday when more flush in cash.

Martin

I bought one of these years ago for half this price from Homier:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-c...eler-5402.html

I used it only once to align engine mounts and many times as a
spreader bar to hoist appliances etc into the truck.

jsw

Computer Trolley Dave Farrance UK diy 11 March 19th 09 07:51 PM
ideas to cover an ugly beam? [email protected] Home Repair 6 December 10th 05 12:26 AM
Golf Trolley Seafarer Electronics Repair 5 May 9th 05 06:13 PM
Electric golf trolley Harry Hotspur Electronics Repair 9 October 1st 04 03:26 AM
diy trolley for heavy amp! Ian Stirling UK diy 19 July 15th 04 11:21 AM