Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sunworshipper[_3_] Sunworshipper[_3_] is offline

Default I-Beam Trolley Ideas

I've been forgetting to ask if there are any great ways to design a
I-beam trolley for a winch. Awhile back we unloaded a machine and the
chain slipped around a cast part and jarred the whole crane
contraption I have in the shop. The light weight electric hoist
trolley that wasn't in use jumped up and pivoted right off and came
slamming down.

Anyhow, now I don't trust this thing and have to make one myself.
Pictures would probably be enough to go on. I just come up with
bearings on bolts or I could make pins, but unsure if I should mill up
some sides and then weld up a channel and then weld the pins in place
or what. Four wheels, or 6, and should they be slightly angled to
match the tapered beam? The end of the beam doesn't have access.

Maybe I'm just hung up on the idea of being able to take it apart. Is
that really necessary? Hmmm I guess it would be a bitch cutting the
thing off if (?) I destroy it.

SW