Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I-Beam Trolley Ideas

The bolts through and washers adjust the wheels so they are captive.

It sounds like the person who installed it was a bit lazy or didn't read.

The load drops from the center and under the wheels.
The washers set the width of the wheels and center the load loop.
It sounds as if someone loosened it to get it over the beam and then
just tightened it back up. Not reading the instructions or ever having them.

Mine can swing side to side - be standing to the side when you lift several
hundred pound sheet of 1/2" steel and it swings towards you finding center.
One hopes the 2 ton magnet holds. I should get another and a spreading bar.

Someday when more flush in cash.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 8/21/2010 10:54 PM, Sunworshipper wrote:
On 22 Aug 2010 03:06:49 GMT, "DoN.

On 2010-08-21, wrote:
On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 11:04:42 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Aug 21, 1:38 pm, wrote:

[ ... trolly fell off when load slipped ... ]

We had a chain hoist chained over the beam and the other one was
towards the end out of the way and not being used. The chain around
the machine slipped over a rounded spot and moved maybe 1/2", thus
shaking the whole set up. Then the unused one just jumped right off. I
had the thing on there as tight as the wheels would go. ****ty design
or maybe it isn't made to be on that kind of I-beam.

SW

This is a 1 Ton HF trolley on rails made of 3" channel iron:
http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/F...88504883032706

I had to turn the trolley wheels down to fit into the channel.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-p...ley-97392.html
The text is wrong, there are no gears and the bearings on mine weren't
sealed.
It disassembles easily by removing the nuts on the large shaft.

Three inch channel is marginal or inadequate for a ton but I don't
think I've lifted half that with it yet.

jsw

Maybe two large bolts with large dia. bushings to hold it together.
I'll have to think about that, but that is what I'm looking for in
ideas. The beam is 6" tall X 4"

Note that the wheels on the shown trolley are tapered to match
the angle of the flanges of the channel iron. Something to bear in
mind when you make your own.

Enjoy,
DoN.