Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Accu-Lube LS-3V lubrication thing, what oil goes in it

This is supposed to be some kind of a microdrop thing.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Accu-Lube/

It came with the mill. If I understand it right, I am supposed to use
special vegetable oil with it.

1) Would mcMaster item 10305K26 be the proper lubricant to put into it
(I will try to find out by calling the company, but I doubt that
they still exist based on some google searches).
2) Is that supposed to be used on aluminum?

I tried machining Aluminum. First without lube, promptly broke
endmill. :-(

Then I tried a bigger end mill, slower feed, and this
Accu-Lube. (there is still a tiny amount of oil left in it).

The endmill did not break, but aluminum still gummed up
completely.

The aluminum did seem machinable.

I would be perfectly open to using flood coolant for this
application. I just have not started using the flood unit yet and have
not set up guards.

Any suggestion, how would I go about machining aluminum with a 3/8"
ball carbide endmill. Speed up to 3k rpm. Open to coolant ideas.