Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus5687 Ignoramus5687 is offline

Default Accu-Lube LS-3V lubrication thing, what oil goes in it

On 2010-07-29, Steve Lusardi wrote:
3000 RPM? Are you trying to win a race? Try 500 RPM and you won't be melting the aluminum....you won't need carbide...you don't
need coolant....life is easy. Try to remember these are your tools, not the company's. I use m35 and m42 Cobalt HSS endmills
almost exclusively. I never wear them out.....they stay sharp forever....I use diesel fuel for lube when I need it and apply it
with a brush... when machining pockets, I use compressed air only and never have chip bind. Yes, you need chip shields with
compressed air. Also remember air by itself is a coolant. The high speed you are trying to run will work in a totally enclosed CNC
machining center with 100 psi+ flood coolant and will pay for itself in a high volume make-a-buck job shop, but is totally
unnecessary in a hobby/model making environment.

So you say, 500 RPM, 3/8" endmill, no coolant, 1 IPM?

"Ignoramus6705" wrote in message ...
This is supposed to be some kind of a microdrop thing.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Accu-Lube/

It came with the mill. If I understand it right, I am supposed to use
special vegetable oil with it.

1) Would mcMaster item 10305K26 be the proper lubricant to put into it
(I will try to find out by calling the company, but I doubt that
they still exist based on some google searches).
2) Is that supposed to be used on aluminum?

I tried machining Aluminum. First without lube, promptly broke
endmill. :-(

Then I tried a bigger end mill, slower feed, and this
Accu-Lube. (there is still a tiny amount of oil left in it).

The endmill did not break, but aluminum still gummed up
completely.

The aluminum did seem machinable.

I would be perfectly open to using flood coolant for this
application. I just have not started using the flood unit yet and have
not set up guards.

Any suggestion, how would I go about machining aluminum with a 3/8"
ball carbide endmill. Speed up to 3k rpm. Open to coolant ideas.