Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Thanks to all who talked me out of repairing the Heidenhaincontroller

I would not even know what I was missing. Thanks to all
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus23878" wrote in message
I would not even know what I was missing. Thanks to all

its been a pleasure to actually have a stream of on topic posts. I was
getting close to writing this NG off.

Take good care of this machine and you'll be able to give it to your son one
day.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus23878" wrote in message
I would not even know what I was missing. Thanks to all

Way to go! Now can you do the math for 6 axis robotic arm kinematics? :-)

Once you get your electricals all done you might enjoy the software things
you can do. If you get into it deeply enough there could be advantages of
having the source code available.

I think it would be neat to make a CNC mill that you could operate manually,
maybe handwheels with encoders and toggle switches for feeds. CNC is great
for a new part but it's nice to have a manual mill for repair work, a CNC
mill could be programmed to operate like a manual mill for those instances
where you need to repair an occasional part.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-21, Karl Townsend wrote:

"Ignoramus23878" wrote in message
I would not even know what I was missing. Thanks to all

its been a pleasure to actually have a stream of on topic posts. I was
getting close to writing this NG off.

good to hear

Take good care of this machine and you'll be able to give it to your son one
day.

I was hoping to use it for 60 more years.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-21, RogerN wrote:

"Ignoramus23878" wrote in message
I would not even know what I was missing. Thanks to all

Way to go! Now can you do the math for 6 axis robotic arm kinematics? :-)

Once you get your electricals all done you might enjoy the software things
you can do. If you get into it deeply enough there could be advantages of
having the source code available.

I think so and I feel strongly about it. There is a huge advantage of
using a full fledged programming system, as opposed to using it like a
VCR.

I think it would be neat to make a CNC mill that you could operate manually,
maybe handwheels with encoders and toggle switches for feeds. CNC is great
for a new part but it's nice to have a manual mill for repair work, a CNC
mill could be programmed to operate like a manual mill for those instances
where you need to repair an occasional part.

I want to get this mill into a fully working shape. Once I do that, I
will work on getting the original controls to operate as
intended. John F did that with his old BP (almost exactly like mine)
and he even posted his HAL files online.

I think that using a mill with keyboard is not very classy, when it
runs in manual mode. It is like fishing with a skiing pole -- can be
done, but just not cool.

I think that I will get them to work, though possibly I will need one
more DIO board from Jon to handle all the buttons.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-21, wrote:

id wrote in message
[...]

Put a couple of handwheel encoders on it and you could operate it just
like a manual. I run our Sugami CNC with the manual hand wheel all the
time for one off parts. All the tooling is already set up. MDI is also
an easy way to go too, especially if you have some macros for bolt
circles and the whole boatload of g codes. As someone said recently,
you got to think outside the box to get things done.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/20/2010 5:06 PM, Ignoramus23878 wrote:
I would not even know what I was missing. Thanks to all

The real fun is just beginning!

Enjoy.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-21, john wrote:

Put a couple of handwheel encoders on it and you could operate it just
like a manual. I run our Sugami CNC with the manual hand wheel all the
time for one off parts. All the tooling is already set up. MDI is also
an easy way to go too, especially if you have some macros for bolt
circles and the whole boatload of g codes. As someone said recently,
you got to think outside the box to get things done.

I think that even one off things, are best handled with G
codes. Mostly, for hand control, I only see repair applications like
"drill out this broken bolt" or some such.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-21, john wrote:

Put a couple of handwheel encoders on it and you could operate it just
like a manual. I run our Sugami CNC with the manual hand wheel all the
time for one off parts. All the tooling is already set up. MDI is also
an easy way to go too, especially if you have some macros for bolt
circles and the whole boatload of g codes. As someone said recently,
you got to think outside the box to get things done.

I think that even one off things, are best handled with G
codes. Mostly, for hand control, I only see repair applications like
"drill out this broken bolt" or some such.

I use CNC to drill even one hole. Turn on computer, start control, click
"Home", put part in vice, bring up drill.job to edit and put in coords. of
holes, put drill in machine, zero Z axis, click cycle start. You're done.
Its a push on CNC vs. manual on one hole, do two and CNC is more accurate
and faster.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:

I think it would be neat to make a CNC mill that you could operate manually,
maybe handwheels with encoders and toggle switches for feeds. CNC is great
for a new part but it's nice to have a manual mill for repair work, a CNC
mill could be programmed to operate like a manual mill for those instances
where you need to repair an occasional part.

You can do that now, I have a little jog pendant on both my machines,
see http://pico-systems.com/pendant.html
I have a better one on my mini-mill, using a new HEDSS encoder. That
one is small enough you can hold it in one hand and push the dial with
your thumb. Great for use with feeler gauges or paper for tool length
setting. I still use the keyboard arrow keys for steady feedrates,
though. I do this plenty when milling down the top of something until
it cleans up the sawed edge.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus23878" wrote in message
I would not even know what I was missing. Thanks to all.

Thanks for taking us through this conversion with you. After your long
hours of working on this machine you took the time to take pictures, videos,
and post it. This would take 6 months to a year to follow in a magazine
article but you did it for us as it happened and without cost to us.
Anyway, a big thanks to you!

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-21, RogerN wrote:
"Ignoramus23878" wrote in message
I would not even know what I was missing. Thanks to all.

Thanks for taking us through this conversion with you. After your long
hours of working on this machine you took the time to take pictures, videos,
and post it. This would take 6 months to a year to follow in a magazine
article but you did it for us as it happened and without cost to us.
Anyway, a big thanks to you!

I am glad to hear, though I am not yet done.

Talked with DoN GeoLane at PTD dot NET Metalworking 8 March 20th 09 11:01 PM
Talked with DoN DoN. Nichols Metalworking 0 March 17th 09 12:44 AM
Talked with DoN DoN. Nichols Metalworking 0 March 17th 09 12:42 AM
Talked with DoN Wes[_2_] Metalworking 0 March 16th 09 09:52 PM
It kicked, you talked, yet Maify never wastefully lived between the autumn. Walker Woodworking 0 June 27th 06 10:38 AM