Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Thanks to all who talked me out of repairing the Heidenhain controller

RogerN wrote:

I think it would be neat to make a CNC mill that you could operate manually,
maybe handwheels with encoders and toggle switches for feeds. CNC is great
for a new part but it's nice to have a manual mill for repair work, a CNC
mill could be programmed to operate like a manual mill for those instances
where you need to repair an occasional part.

You can do that now, I have a little jog pendant on both my machines,
see http://pico-systems.com/pendant.html
I have a better one on my mini-mill, using a new HEDSS encoder. That
one is small enough you can hold it in one hand and push the dial with
your thumb. Great for use with feeler gauges or paper for tool length
setting. I still use the keyboard arrow keys for steady feedrates,
though. I do this plenty when milling down the top of something until
it cleans up the sawed edge.

Jon