Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default #3 Morse Taper Hand Drill?!?

I'm in the industrial drilling industry and struggling to understand why
would someone want a MT3 equipped, electrically powered hand drill...

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2404.../dp/B00004T16O

I guess there are indeed legitimate needs for it, but... Well... I can
only pray I never have that need!

Talk about a wrist twister if you're not smart.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

I'm in the industrial drilling industry and struggling to understand why
would someone want a MT3 equipped, electrically powered hand drill...

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2404.../dp/B00004T16O

I guess there are indeed legitimate needs for it, but... Well... I can
only pray I never have that need!

Structural steel site work I imagine.

Talk about a wrist twister if you're not smart.

I imaging the average structural steel site worker is a bit beefier than
most of us desk jockeys.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 13, 11:33*am, "Pete C." wrote:
Joe AutoDrill wrote:

I'm in the industrial drilling industry and struggling to understand why
would someone want a MT3 equipped, electrically powered hand drill...

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2404.../dp/B00004T16O

I guess there are indeed legitimate needs for it, but... *Well... *I can
only pray I never have that need!

Structural steel site work I imagine.

Talk about a wrist twister if you're not smart.

I imaging the average structural steel site worker is a bit beefier than
most of us desk jockeys.

And, the manual warns that if there's any chance of binding, you want
to brace the handle against something solid.

But that is certainly a big-ass drill.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My guess is that it is for people who want to drill large holes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 07/13/2010 08:24 AM, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
I'm in the industrial drilling industry and struggling to understand why
would someone want a MT3 equipped, electrically powered hand drill...

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2404.../dp/B00004T16O

I guess there are indeed legitimate needs for it, but... Well... I can
only pray I never have that need!

Talk about a wrist twister if you're not smart.

Anyone preparing to use a drill like that needs to see "Wallace and
Gromit, A Grand Day Out". I won't say why -- just watch the rocket
building sequence and you'll understand.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 13, 11:24*am, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:
I'm in the industrial drilling industry and struggling to understand why
would someone want a MT3 equipped, electrically powered hand drill...

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2404.../dp/B00004T16O

I guess there are indeed legitimate needs for it, but... *Well... *I can
only pray I never have that need!
Talk about a wrist twister if you're not smart.
Joe Agro, Jr.

I've used a similar Milwaukee to drill ~3" holes for conduit in
industrial JIC control enclosures. When the hole saw jammed the
handles would coast a quarter turn no matter what was in the way, so I
had to hold the drill at an angle inside the cramped enclosure.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 11:24:27 -0400, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

I'm in the industrial drilling industry and struggling to understand why
would someone want a MT3 equipped, electrically powered hand drill...

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2404.../dp/B00004T16O

I guess there are indeed legitimate needs for it, but... Well... I can
only pray I never have that need!

Talk about a wrist twister if you're not smart.

I had a 3/4 HP..yes..three quarter horsepower hand drill once upon a
time. Damned thing weighed about 10 lbs and would not turn much over 200
rpm. Huge gear box on the front of the drill...

But when you hung the bit...there simply was no way to stop it from
twisting. I put 18" bars on it..and it would still twist anyone who was
hanging on to it.

Guy came over..wanted to borrow a drill to punch a hole under the bed of
his pickup truck for some reason and I told him where the drills were
and kept on working on my project. About 10 minutes later..I kept
hearing this funny sounding "kitten sound" and went looking for the
source.

Found the guy under his pickup, wrapped up in 100' of extension cord,
wrapped up like a bug, wide clear spot in the dirt from where it spun
him around and around and around, after it wrapped his hands around the
drill.

The sqeeking noise was him trying to scream for help..but the cord had
wrapped around his neck and he was having some trouble breathing....

Got out the wire cutters....

The thing was..Id told him on several occasions to NEVER use that
particular drill. Ever. Never. He was fascinated by the 3/4" Jacobs on
the end of it.....damned near killed him.

I eventually sold the drill to a professonal shop who put it into an in
house made clamp on drilling rig for some field use.

I loved the drill..simply because it appealed to my "More Power! Huh
HUH!" side...but..shrug..it was simply too damned dangerous to have
aound a home shop

Never did find out who made it..data plate was missing. Well made
though.

Gunner

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On 07/13/2010 08:24 AM, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
I'm in the industrial drilling industry and struggling to understand why
would someone want a MT3 equipped, electrically powered hand drill...

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2404.../dp/B00004T16O

I guess there are indeed legitimate needs for it, but... Well... I can
only pray I never have that need!

Talk about a wrist twister if you're not smart.

Anyone preparing to use a drill like that needs to see "Wallace and
Gromit, A Grand Day Out". I won't say why -- just watch the rocket
building sequence and you'll understand.

--

That was my first thought. Gromit with that drill!

JB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

So, how did it happen exactly?

I have hard times picturing the exact chain of events here, starting
from when the drill became stuck.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 07/13/2010 01:02 PM, JB wrote:
"Tim wrote in message
On 07/13/2010 08:24 AM, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
I'm in the industrial drilling industry and struggling to understand why
would someone want a MT3 equipped, electrically powered hand drill...

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2404.../dp/B00004T16O

I guess there are indeed legitimate needs for it, but... Well... I can
only pray I never have that need!

Talk about a wrist twister if you're not smart.

Anyone preparing to use a drill like that needs to see "Wallace and
Gromit, A Grand Day Out". I won't say why -- just watch the rocket
building sequence and you'll understand.

--

That was my first thought. Gromit with that drill!

Or imagine what Don Martin would have done with it: "Fonebone's Hole
Drilling Service".

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 15:04:36 -0500, Ignoramus3537

On 2010-07-13, Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

This sounds perfectly plausible... once upon a time the bit stuck, and
at the very same instant the guy caught sight of a 2' centipede.
Startled, his finger clenched the trigger instead of letting go. Then
the drill started to rotate him like a will-it-blend test, and his
panicked death grip caused him to become unified with his tool.
Unfortunately he was using one of those popular 100' cords that allows
one to neatly unravel every last coil before it pulls out of the
socket. Thank goodness gummer the magnificent was there to save him,
and they all lived happily ever after.

It happens that I have a similar story. A friend wanted to bore some
big holes in his trailer. I handed him my fearsome wrist-busting 1/2"
Makita, and warned him to keep clear of the side handle in case the
bit snagged. About 30 seconds later it did, and he held on snapping
the bit clean off. Dang, that doesn't sound very interesting, does it?
begin absurd embellishment So then I welded his hand to the trailer,
and told him that if he ratted me out I'd drive 8 million miles to
hunt him down and use his carcass to build a pinata filled with razor
blades and acetone. Which I'd flail with barbed wire that was covered
in the putrid hair of a cow that died of...

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The guy was typically careless and as best as we can figure...he had the
cord looped around his hand or his body and when the bit hung..it
wrapped around his hands and then just kept winding once he was looped
into it. He didnt dare let loose of it as it would bash his head in..and
once his hands were tied (and he couldnt release the trigger)..the
damned thing just kept on winding him and the cord up until it unplugged
the extension cord. Had a two speed gear box on it and fortunately it
was in Low..so was turning about 30-45 rpm best as I can recall.

Fortunately. At 200 rpm, the handles would simply have ripped his
hand/arms off and beat him to death

He cant remember nearly anything that happened beyond hanging the drill
bit and it happened FAST

Thank Crom he was under a really tall 4x4 so he didnt bust his skull on
the running gear.

I warned him on a number of occasions..shrug. But he just had to use it.

One of those more balls than brains types.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-13, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
I'm in the industrial drilling industry and struggling to understand why
would someone want a MT3 equipped, electrically powered hand drill...

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2404.../dp/B00004T16O

I guess there are indeed legitimate needs for it, but... Well... I can
only pray I never have that need!

Talk about a wrist twister if you're not smart.

Note how far from the center of the drill the handle with the
trigger switch is. And note the screw-in handle bar with the cushion
handle grip opposite it? *That* is what takes the torque -- with a big
bit, ideally with a helper on the extra handle.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:52:50 -0500, Ignoramus3537
wrote:

My guess is that it is for people who want to drill large holes.

And I thought that the 1948 US Electrical Tools 1/2 drill I bought the
other day would be a poor choice to use for drilling joists in a house
wiring project!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

This is a truly incredible story!

I find it difficult to believe, I am sorry to say.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

One of those more balls than brains types.

This is a truly incredible story!

I find it difficult to believe, I am sorry to say.

But you have to admit, hell of a story!

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-14, cavelamb wrote:

One of those more balls than brains types.

This is a truly incredible story!

I find it difficult to believe, I am sorry to say.

But you have to admit, hell of a story!

Yep, extremely fascinating!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Shrug...happened. Sorry you have never run into one of those drills.

Glad I sold the damned thing.

Shrug

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My guess is that it is for people who want to drill large holes.

And I thought that the 1948 US Electrical Tools 1/2 drill I bought the
other day would be a poor choice to use for drilling joists in a house
wiring project!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

My first job was Electrician's Helper/Gofer. We had one of those and
guess which drill motor the Helper/Gofer got to use to drill joists.

Damn thing would lift 200 pounds of me right off the ground when a 5/8 X
18" ship auger caught a knot- or worse, a nail, God forbid. (Lots of
time resharpening the drill and listening to the boss ask me, loudly,
what those "damn things" cost. After the second time, I bought one of
them. That taught me more than all his yelling. And they're still
expensive!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This is a truly incredible story!

I find it difficult to believe, I am sorry to say.

Shrug...happened. Sorry you have never run into one of those drills.

It has nothing to do with the drill. You want readers to believe that
the guy couldn't let off the switch, couldn't let go of the drill, and
was using a 100' cord when he was what, 1' from the outlet? It's clear
that you crank out these whoppers without giving their plausibility a
second thought.

Wayne

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Tue, 13 Jul 2010 23:53:12 -0700

Thank Crom he was under a really tall 4x4 so he didnt bust his skull on
the running gear.

I warned him on a number of occasions..shrug. But he just had to use it.

One of those more balls than brains types.

This is a truly incredible story!

I find it difficult to believe, I am sorry to say.

Shrug...happened. Sorry you have never run into one of those drills.

Truth is stranger than Fiction. Fiction has to be plausible.

"Doest thou believe it?
"Struth, but twere played out upon a stage, I would not."

Lines from Hamlet as a 'plot device' works out.

pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 07:29:17 -0400, John Husvar
wrote:

wrote:

My guess is that it is for people who want to drill large holes.

And I thought that the 1948 US Electrical Tools 1/2 drill I bought the
other day would be a poor choice to use for drilling joists in a house
wiring project!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

My first job was Electrician's Helper/Gofer. We had one of those and
guess which drill motor the Helper/Gofer got to use to drill joists.

Damn thing would lift 200 pounds of me right off the ground when a 5/8 X
18" ship auger caught a knot- or worse, a nail, God forbid. (Lots of
time resharpening the drill and listening to the boss ask me, loudly,
what those "damn things" cost. After the second time, I bought one of
them. That taught me more than all his yelling. And they're still
expensive!

The auger bit or the drill motor? My drill motor cost me $2, but I did
replace the power cord, after I peeled off the 11 patches of duct
tape.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Gerald Miller wrote:

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 07:29:17 -0400, John Husvar
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The auger drill. The drill motor should have been smelted at birth.

I'm a bit surprised. The prices for them haven't risen all that much,
~$15-25 apiece. Still, I don't suppose ruining one would endear one to
his boss. It didn't for me anyway.