Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar John Husvar is offline

Default #3 Morse Taper Hand Drill?!?

In article ,
Gerald Miller wrote:

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 07:29:17 -0400, John Husvar
wrote:

In article ,
Gerald Miller wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:52:50 -0500, Ignoramus3537
wrote:

My guess is that it is for people who want to drill large holes.

And I thought that the 1948 US Electrical Tools 1/2 drill I bought the
other day would be a poor choice to use for drilling joists in a house
wiring project!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

My first job was Electrician's Helper/Gofer. We had one of those and
guess which drill motor the Helper/Gofer got to use to drill joists.

Damn thing would lift 200 pounds of me right off the ground when a 5/8 X
18" ship auger caught a knot- or worse, a nail, God forbid. (Lots of
time resharpening the drill and listening to the boss ask me, loudly,
what those "damn things" cost. After the second time, I bought one of
them. That taught me more than all his yelling. And they're still
expensive!

The auger bit or the drill motor? My drill motor cost me $2, but I did
replace the power cord, after I peeled off the 11 patches of duct
tape.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

The auger drill. The drill motor should have been smelted at birth.

I'm a bit surprised. The prices for them haven't risen all that much,
~$15-25 apiece. Still, I don't suppose ruining one would endear one to
his boss. It didn't for me anyway.