Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default #3 Morse Taper Hand Drill?!?

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 11:24:27 -0400, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

I'm in the industrial drilling industry and struggling to understand why
would someone want a MT3 equipped, electrically powered hand drill...

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2404.../dp/B00004T16O

I guess there are indeed legitimate needs for it, but... Well... I can
only pray I never have that need!

Talk about a wrist twister if you're not smart.

I had a 3/4 HP..yes..three quarter horsepower hand drill once upon a
time. Damned thing weighed about 10 lbs and would not turn much over 200
rpm. Huge gear box on the front of the drill...

But when you hung the bit...there simply was no way to stop it from
twisting. I put 18" bars on it..and it would still twist anyone who was
hanging on to it.

Guy came over..wanted to borrow a drill to punch a hole under the bed of
his pickup truck for some reason and I told him where the drills were
and kept on working on my project. About 10 minutes later..I kept
hearing this funny sounding "kitten sound" and went looking for the
source.

Found the guy under his pickup, wrapped up in 100' of extension cord,
wrapped up like a bug, wide clear spot in the dirt from where it spun
him around and around and around, after it wrapped his hands around the
drill.

The sqeeking noise was him trying to scream for help..but the cord had
wrapped around his neck and he was having some trouble breathing....

Got out the wire cutters....

The thing was..Id told him on several occasions to NEVER use that
particular drill. Ever. Never. He was fascinated by the 3/4" Jacobs on
the end of it.....damned near killed him.

I eventually sold the drill to a professonal shop who put it into an in
house made clamp on drilling rig for some field use.

I loved the drill..simply because it appealed to my "More Power! Huh
HUH!" side...but..shrug..it was simply too damned dangerous to have
aound a home shop

Never did find out who made it..data plate was missing. Well made
though.

Gunner

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.