Derek Andrews

Default Morse Taper Drill Bits

Keith Young wrote:
#2 Tailstock
Anybody know of a Canadian source

I would try your local machine tool supplier. Locally (NS) I would call
Fundy Grinding in Truro. You could also try Busy Bee Tools, or KMS tools.

The problem I think you will find is that MT drill bits are most
probably made for the metal working industry and the bits won't be
terribly suitable for wood.

For most drilling operations upto half inch diameter, I use a Jacobs
chuck and a drill bit with a brad point.

I think I got the Jacobs chuck from Busy Bee Tools. If I remember
rightly, the Jacobs chuck came with a JT taper and I had to buy the
JT/MT adaptor seperately.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
Wedding Favors ~ Artisan Crafted Gifts ~ One-of-a-Kind Woodturning

JHS

I got mine on Ebay

#2 Tailstock
Anybody know of a Canadian source

Thanks
Keith

Leo Van Der Loo

Hello Keith

I don't think you should go with the taper shank twist drills, first of
all they are expensive compared to regular straight shank drills,
secondly they are only available in limited sizes, (approx1/2"to3/4") in
the # 2 morse taper size, smaller sizes in #1 morse taper they go (again
approx.) from 5/16" to 5/8" (you would need a #1 to #2 mt sleeve to be
able to use them) and larger sizes have a #3 or larger morse taper shank.
now if I was you, I would get a good drill chuck with a #2 mt drill
chuck arbor, if you can afford a ball bearing chuck, get it.
Then you are able to use the regular drills you already have and also
other special drill bits.
In Canada you can get some decent quality tools from Busy Bee Tools,
they had a warehouse special on and their 1/2" cap. precision chuck was
$27.99 and the drill chuck arbor for that chuck was $7.99
They also had a 5 pc. taper shank drill set for $29.99 but only 3 of the
5 drills are #2 mt and the other two #3 mt (they are 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8,
and 1" in size)

Have fun and take care
Leo van Der Loo

#2 Tailstock