Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Septic tank and blacktop

What kind of pump do people use to pump their septic tank? Is it a
trash pump? I know this probably sounds stupid but could a person pump
their own tank? I wonder if this would be a good side business to get
into?

With the economy the way it is, I have been lookign for a long time
for somethign to do that a person could "fall back on" I wonder if a
septic tank pumping business that also did driveway sealing (blacktop)
would be good? Can you use a trash pump for blacktop resealing? Where
do you get larger quantities of blacktop?

The reason I asked if you could do it yourself is I would like to test
both theories on my own septic tank which needs to be pumped out and
my driveway.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 06:07:09 -0700, stryped wrote:
What kind of pump do people use to pump their septic tank? Is it a trash
pump? I know this probably sounds stupid but could a person pump their
own tank? I wonder if this would be a good side business to get into?

With the economy the way it is, I have been looking for a long time for
something to do that a person could "fall back on" I wonder if a septic
tank pumping business that also did driveway sealing (blacktop) would be
good? Can you use a trash pump for blacktop resealing? Where do you get
larger quantities of blacktop?

The reason I asked if you could do it yourself is I would like to test
both theories on my own septic tank which needs to be pumped out and my
driveway.

Hey, great post! Almost couldn't stop laughing.
(But note, your question is off-topic in this newsgroup.
The purpose of rec.crafts.metalworking is discussion
of metalworking, not humor, sewage, politics, etc)

--
jiw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
What kind of pump do people use to pump their septic tank? Is it a
trash pump? I know this probably sounds stupid but could a person pump
their own tank? I wonder if this would be a good side business to get
into?

With the economy the way it is, I have been lookign for a long time
for somethign to do that a person could "fall back on" I wonder if a
septic tank pumping business that also did driveway sealing (blacktop)
would be good? Can you use a trash pump for blacktop resealing? Where
do you get larger quantities of blacktop?

The reason I asked if you could do it yourself is I would like to test
both theories on my own septic tank which needs to be pumped out and
my driveway.

Use the sludge from the bottom of the tank to seal the blacktop and kill two
birds with one stone...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 8, 6:07*am, stryped wrote:
What kind of pump do people use to pump their septic tank? Is it a
trash pump? I know this probably sounds stupid but could a person pump
their own tank? I wonder if this would be a good side business to get
into?

With the economy the way it is, I have been lookign for a long time
for somethign to do that a person could "fall back on" I wonder if a
septic tank pumping business that also did driveway sealing (blacktop)
would be good? Can you use a trash pump for blacktop resealing? Where
do you get larger quantities of blacktop?

The reason I asked if you could do it yourself is I would like to test
both theories on my own septic tank which needs to be pumped out and
my driveway.

Septic tanks are pumped with a vacuum cleaner! A huge one driven by a
10 ton truck engine. The whole unit is very expensive, I suspect and
that is just the beginning. You have to contract with some municipal
sewage department to dispose of the stuff. That is not cheap. Then
there is bonding and insurance. Then there is the training you MUST
have in how to maintain and sanitize the equipment before, during and
after pumping.

Your best bet is to befriend someone already in the business and get
the complete scoop from them.

Or, be there when someone pumps your tank. You realize many tanks are
1,000 gallons in size, don't you?

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

James Waldby on Thu, 8 Jul 2010 14:48:09 +0000 (UTC) typed
[...]

Well, a pump would be metal working.

And they used to refer to roads paved with asphalt and gravel as
"metaled".
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" on Thu, 8 Jul 2010 09:27:27
-0700 (PDT) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Jul 8, 6:07*am, stryped wrote:
[...]

And don't worry, after a while, you sense of smell returns.

Or, be there when someone pumps your tank. You realize many tanks are
1,000 gallons in size, don't you?

Usually with a sign on the back on the lines "Satisfaction
guaranteed or double you **** back".
My favorite was "Caution: Political Promises"
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped on Thu, 8 Jul 2010 06:07:09 -0700 (PDT)
What kind of pump do people use to pump their septic tank?

Somebody else's. That's a job I don't want to have to deal with,
at all.

Is it a
trash pump? I know this probably sounds stupid but could a person pump
their own tank? I wonder if this would be a good side business to get
into?

If you don't mind having a very large "wet/dry" vacuum cleaner
tank which smells like an outhouse, not at all.
There is, however, going to be the small detail that people (and
local governments) get really touchy when it comes to - ahem- "night
soil". Your system will not be allowed to leak, and you will have to
dispose of all that crap (and it isn't all crap, either) in a
"responsible manner". Which rules out the trip to the local RV dump
spot.
It would make a nice start on a compost pile - but it is a health
hazard till it is done. And even then, not something you should put
on crops which will be eaten - lettuce, tomatoes, etc.

With the economy the way it is, I have been lookign for a long time
for somethign to do that a person could "fall back on" I wonder if a
septic tank pumping business that also did driveway sealing (blacktop)
would be good? Can you use a trash pump for blacktop resealing? Where
do you get larger quantities of blacktop?

Local refinery. Just be aware that your after asphalt - that's
the black goo left over after refining, so there are problems with
that. Like the price of oil. And that for a decent job, you're going
to have to heat it up so that it flows.

The reason I asked if you could do it yourself is I would like to test
both theories on my own septic tank which needs to be pumped out and
my driveway.

Snerk, on a quick read of that last sentence, it read like you
wanted to pump out your septic tank onto your dirveway to seal the
driveway. Well,t hat is one way to keep the in-laws away.

Probably the best way to get into either biz is to find someone
who's willing to take you along as apprentice helper. Pumping Septic
Tanks - it is a ****ty business, but you get to charge a lot to do it.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 08:20:44 -0700, Steve B wrote:
"James Waldby" wrote
[...]

No. (I see you've been patronizing some other posters that
same way recently. Attempt at humor? Sardonic remark?)

Most stuff posted in r.c.m is off topic and often is just noisy
blabber about politics. Anyone who understands that the purpose
of rec.crafts.metalworking is discussion of metalworking should
shun such threads.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
What kind of pump do people use to pump their septic tank? Is it a
trash pump? I know this probably sounds stupid but could a person pump
their own tank? I wonder if this would be a good side business to get
into?

I have a friend who runs a septic business. Takes BIG money to do it
correctly. Pumping is the easy part. Hauling and disposing of the waste
is the hard part.

With the economy the way it is, I have been lookign for a long time
for somethign to do that a person could "fall back on" I wonder if a
septic tank pumping business that also did driveway sealing (blacktop)
would be good? Can you use a trash pump for blacktop resealing? Where
do you get larger quantities of blacktop?

Blacktop sealing is not a fun job either. You need a hot pot and good
sealer if you ever want repeat business. There are some fly-by-night
outfits that travel around and do a "sealing" job that is really nothing
more than a black latex paint. Stuff lasts until the first good rain!!
There used to be an outfit that spray painted barns about the same way.
They sprayed EVERYTHING from the ground. You could tell where they had
been because there would be red on the roof, windows, doors, trim, grass
and dirt around the place.

The reason I asked if you could do it yourself is I would like to test
both theories on my own septic tank which needs to be pumped out and
my driveway.

The local outfit will pump my 1000 gal. tank for $250.00. They like mine
because I installed a pump out port on both sections. Makes it MUCH
easier...

As for the driveway. Buy a GOOD sealer and a wide roller and DIY. Wash
it really well and get all the loose crap off, repair any cracks, then
wait for a hot day and roll on two coats perpendicular to each other.
I buy the same asphalt they use to seal highways at the local batch
plant. Putting it on cool isn't as good as a hot seal BUT it's still
better than most of the store bought crap.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 8, 6:07*am, stryped wrote:
[...]

I'll never forget the old gal with three teeth that pumped our tank a
long time ago. She knew what she was doing, but it was the sight of
her smoking by holding the cig between her pinkie and next finger
while the rest of her hand was covered in grey goo that stuck in my
mind.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I hate two words: should and probably. Should is used by manipulators to
get people to think that they are in the wrong, and "should" think this or
that way. Probably is a catchall word for clueless people who have no idea
of what is going to happen, and is a cop out. Any way it goes, there's
plausible deniability.

HTH

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 11:55:41 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I hate two words: should and probably. Should is used by manipulators to
get people to think that they are in the wrong, and "should" think this or
that way. Probably is a catchall word for clueless people who have no idea
of what is going to happen, and is a cop out. Any way it goes, there's
plausible deniability.

LOL

1 minute search for steve b using the "hated" words "should" and
"probably" in the same post.

First one I clicked on
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...8401d1834fe16a
had 2 instances of "probably" and 1 "should". What an idiot.

Wayne

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 8, 1:51*pm, "Steve W." wrote:
stryped wrote:
[...]

How do I find a batch plant? Cant find one in the phone book. I have a
big driveway.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
What kind of pump do people use to pump their septic tank? Is it a
trash pump? I know this probably sounds stupid but could a person pump
their own tank? I wonder if this would be a good side business to get
into?

With the economy the way it is, I have been lookign for a long time
for somethign to do that a person could "fall back on" I wonder if a
septic tank pumping business that also did driveway sealing (blacktop)
would be good? Can you use a trash pump for blacktop resealing? Where
do you get larger quantities of blacktop?

here you go:
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...date-abrk.html

The reason I asked if you could do it yourself is I would like to test
both theories on my own septic tank which needs to be pumped out and
my driveway.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
On Jul 8, 1:51 pm, "Steve W." wrote:
stryped wrote:
[...]

If you can't get enough maybe you could put it on thinner?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
And they used to refer to roads paved with asphalt and gravel as
"metaled".

The City Road Engineer's daughter liked her asphalt?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:

As for the driveway. Buy a GOOD sealer and a wide roller and DIY. Wash
it really well and get all the loose crap off, repair any cracks, then
wait for a hot day and roll on two coats perpendicular to each other.
I buy the same asphalt they use to seal highways at the local batch
plant. Putting it on cool isn't as good as a hot seal BUT it's still
better than most of the store bought crap.

--
Steve W.

How do I find a batch plant? Cant find one in the phone book. I have a
big driveway.

Easy way is to ask a paving crew where they picked up the asphalt they
are using. Next way would be to call a local quarry about it.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You don't buy asphalt to seal an asphalt surface. You would buy
asphalt if you are going to cap an existing or make a new
pavement. The key to any asphalt job is a lay down machine and a
roller. Installing asphalt is labor AND equipment intensive. It
is installed hot. Capping raises the grade and may affect
drainage. Here's your sign:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASZym...eature=related

Sealing asphalt is closer to painting. There are a number of
products that will get some more life from asphalt that is
beginning to fail. Here's your sign:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOg_n...eature=related

Pumping septic requires a large capacity truck with a holding tank
and vacuum system. Septic systems often run over 1,000 gallons.
Here is a movie to watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsxi1...eature=related

--
DanG

"stryped" wrote in message
On Jul 8, 1:51 pm, "Steve W." wrote:
stryped wrote:
[...]

Septic tank question DS[_3_] Home Repair 1 July 6th 09 02:13 PM
Septic Tank: how often to clean? Eddy Bentley UK diy 21 December 5th 07 09:32 AM
septic tank issue [email protected] Home Repair 4 July 8th 07 11:35 PM
No Septic Tank? Steve B Home Repair 29 June 19th 07 09:09 PM
Help - septic tank ( or not?) howardsend UK diy 23 March 16th 06 06:02 PM