Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] pdrahn@coinet.com is offline

Default Septic tank and blacktop

On Jul 8, 6:07*am, stryped wrote:
What kind of pump do people use to pump their septic tank? Is it a
trash pump? I know this probably sounds stupid but could a person pump
their own tank? I wonder if this would be a good side business to get
into?

With the economy the way it is, I have been lookign for a long time
for somethign to do that a person could "fall back on" I wonder if a
septic tank pumping business that also did driveway sealing (blacktop)
would be good? Can you use a trash pump for blacktop resealing? Where
do you get larger quantities of blacktop?

The reason I asked if you could do it yourself is I would like to test
both theories on my own septic tank which needs to be pumped out and
my driveway.

Septic tanks are pumped with a vacuum cleaner! A huge one driven by a
10 ton truck engine. The whole unit is very expensive, I suspect and
that is just the beginning. You have to contract with some municipal
sewage department to dispose of the stuff. That is not cheap. Then
there is bonding and insurance. Then there is the training you MUST
have in how to maintain and sanitize the equipment before, during and
after pumping.

Your best bet is to befriend someone already in the business and get
the complete scoop from them.

Or, be there when someone pumps your tank. You realize many tanks are
1,000 gallons in size, don't you?

Paul