Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default help, what do you call a pin with threads

I've seen these things somewhere - I need a couple of 3/16 pins, 1.5 inches
long, aprox, with larger threads (like 1/4-20) for 1/4 inch or so on one
end, and slotted or something on that end - the idea is to have a hole that
is threaded for a little bit, then narrows down to the root diameter - these
pins will go into the hole and act like a setscrew on the item at the other
end of the hole - I've seen these somewhere - what are they called?

(I hope that description makes sense - sort of a shoulder bolt in reverse -
threads near the head, then a long unthreaded section that is no larger than
the threads root diameter)

--
Bill -
www.wbnoble.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 22:55:09 -0700, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

I've seen these things somewhere - I need a couple of 3/16 pins, 1.5 inches
long, aprox, with larger threads (like 1/4-20) for 1/4 inch or so on one
end, and slotted or something on that end - the idea is to have a hole that
is threaded for a little bit, then narrows down to the root diameter - these
pins will go into the hole and act like a setscrew on the item at the other
end of the hole - I've seen these somewhere - what are they called?

(I hope that description makes sense - sort of a shoulder bolt in reverse -
threads near the head, then a long unthreaded section that is no larger than
the threads root diameter)

Dog point set screw, although standard ones are more thread, less
point.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
wrote:

[...]

the longest "dog point" I could find was only about 1/4 inch - might there
be another name for something where the 'dog point' is over an inch and the
threaded part is 1/4 or 3/8 inch? If I could get daschund point #10 set
screws, that would be perfect

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 26, 1:55*am, "Bill Noble" wrote:
I've seen these things somewhere - I need a couple of 3/16 pins, 1.5 inches
long, aprox, with larger threads (like 1/4-20) for 1/4 inch or so on one
end, and slotted or something on that end - the idea is to have a hole that
is threaded for a little bit, then narrows down to the root diameter - these
pins will go into the hole and act like a setscrew on the item at the other
end of the hole - I've seen these somewhere - what are they called?

(I hope that description makes sense - sort of a shoulder bolt in reverse -
threads near the head, then a long unthreaded section that is no larger than
the threads root diameter)

--
Bill *-www.wbnoble.com

You only need a couple of these, right? Why not just make them? Seems
like a few minutes and a hunk of allthread ought to get it done.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill,

You might well have seen something made to OEM specs for a specific
application. I've seen them too, and never has the straight portion with
the same black oxide as the threaded portion. I suspect they are made as
needed for particular applications. I have made some myself...

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
[...]

I tried turning some cap screws and it didn't work well - from my
calculations, if I stick with #10, I need four of them if they are hardened
(e.g. #8) but more if they are not (#5), and it would be a challenge to use
more than 4

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 26, 9:31*pm, "Bill Noble" wrote:
"rangerssuck" wrote in message

You only need a couple of these, right? Why not just make them? Seems
like a few minutes and a hunk of allthread ought to get it done.

I tried turning some cap screws and it didn't work well

Did you try boring a hole in a set screw and superglue-ing or
brazing in a dowel pin?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"whit3rd" wrote in message
On Jun 26, 9:31 pm, "Bill Noble" wrote:
"rangerssuck" wrote in message

You only need a couple of these, right? Why not just make them? Seems
like a few minutes and a hunk of allthread ought to get it done.

I tried turning some cap screws and it didn't work well

Did you try boring a hole in a set screw and superglue-ing or
brazing in a dowel pin?

that is one alternative that I've considered - though set screws are
typically hardened, one would hope that with carbide they could be drilled
successfully

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 25, 11:55*pm, "Bill Noble" wrote:
I've seen these things somewhere - I need a couple of 3/16 pins, 1.5 inches
long, aprox, with larger threads (like 1/4-20) for 1/4 inch or so on one
end, and slotted or something on that end - the idea is to have a hole that
is threaded for a little bit, then narrows down to the root diameter - these
pins will go into the hole and act like a setscrew on the item at the other
end of the hole - I've seen these somewhere - what are they called?

(I hope that description makes sense - sort of a shoulder bolt in reverse -
threads near the head, then a long unthreaded section that is no larger than
the threads root diameter)

--
Bill *-www.wbnoble.com

I see this type of thing all the time on older guns, usually the
unthreaded shaft is used for pivoting parts on. I know of no standard
hardware in that configuration, were made as needed for the guns as
designed. I have seen threaded-end dowel pins, but the threads are
ground with the pin surface as the major diameter. Would a two-piece
approach work? Flat-tipped set-screw bearing on a smaller dia. pin?
Getting the pin out of a blind hole might be interesting, though.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

whit3rd wrote:
On Jun 26, 9:31 pm, "Bill Noble" wrote:
"rangerssuck" wrote in message

You only need a couple of these, right? Why not just make them? Seems
like a few minutes and a hunk of allthread ought to get it done.

I tried turning some cap screws and it didn't work well

Did you try boring a hole in a set screw and superglue-ing or
brazing in a dowel pin?

I've made a bunch of brass dog points on steel 1/4-20 setscrews
when I couldn't get any locally. Made a fixture to hold the
setscrew with a jam screw behind it to do the drilling on the
lathe. Press-fitted the brass parts. Worked a charm.
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

indeed, the only reason I want the threads is to get the pin out of a blind
hole.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 22:01:19 -0700, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

indeed, the only reason I want the threads is to get the pin out of a blind
hole.

Pull dowels have female threads for extracting them from blind holes.
See McMaster p.3309

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

indeed, the only reason I want the threads is to get the pin out of a
blind
hole.

Pull dowels have female threads for extracting them from blind holes.
See McMaster p.3309

--
Ned Simmons

yes, indeed, but not in 3/16 diameter - the problem is that these have to go
"sideways" through 3/8 plate, so I can't make them larger than about 3/16 or
I sacrifice strength in the plate

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 21:04:21 -0700, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

indeed, the only reason I want the threads is to get the pin out of a
blind
hole.

Pull dowels have female threads for extracting them from blind holes.
See McMaster p.3309

--
Ned Simmons

yes, indeed, but not in 3/16 diameter - the problem is that these have to go
"sideways" through 3/8 plate, so I can't make them larger than about 3/16 or
I sacrifice strength in the plate

3/16
http://www.mapcomfg.com/store/script...idproduct=3175

5mm
http://us.misumi-ec.com/us/ItemDetail/10300256410.html

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Silly answer - help, what do you call a pin with threads

the question is raised - "help, what do you call a pin with threads?"

And my smart ass answer is "A very tiny bolt?"

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

O/T(ish) - BSP threads David WE Roberts[_2_] UK diy 4 May 18th 10 09:00 PM
More on odd threads.... Phil Kangas[_4_] Metalworking 19 September 29th 08 12:05 AM
5/16-27 threads Randy Metalworking 18 August 10th 08 03:43 AM
Wandering threads....... The Medway Handyman UK diy 23 June 4th 07 02:13 PM
Night call out -- then cancell call Stormin Mormon Home Repair 10 July 22nd 06 11:49 AM