Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor Pete Keillor is offline

Default help, what do you call a pin with threads

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 22:55:09 -0700, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

I've seen these things somewhere - I need a couple of 3/16 pins, 1.5 inches
long, aprox, with larger threads (like 1/4-20) for 1/4 inch or so on one
end, and slotted or something on that end - the idea is to have a hole that
is threaded for a little bit, then narrows down to the root diameter - these
pins will go into the hole and act like a setscrew on the item at the other
end of the hole - I've seen these somewhere - what are they called?

(I hope that description makes sense - sort of a shoulder bolt in reverse -
threads near the head, then a long unthreaded section that is no larger than
the threads root diameter)

Dog point set screw, although standard ones are more thread, less
point.

Pete Keillor