Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wandering threads.......

One of the things I like about this group is the way threads wander from the
original subject in such bizarre ways.

For example, a thread on Beefing up a Deck ends up talking about Allo Allo.
A B&Q SDS thread ends up talking about buses. A decking thread finishes
with a discussion about apostrophes............

Great innit!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
One of the things I like about this group is the way threads wander
from the original subject in such bizarre ways.

For example, a thread on Beefing up a Deck ends up talking about Allo
Allo. A B&Q SDS thread ends up talking about buses. A decking thread
finishes with a discussion about apostrophes............

Great innit!

Whilst my son was washing his Honda CRX, I was talking to his friend
about Architecture and trying to find him holiday work with a firm to
help him in future life.
No waccy baccy, but responding to the trend!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
One of the things I like about this group is the way threads wander from the
original subject in such bizarre ways.

For example, a thread on Beefing up a Deck ends up talking about Allo Allo.
A B&Q SDS thread ends up talking about buses. A decking thread finishes
with a discussion about apostrophes............

Great innit!

That reminds me, must go and watch tonight's (check apostrophe) Dr. Who!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
:

One of the things I like about this group is the way threads wander
from the original subject in such bizarre ways.

For example, a thread on Beefing up a Deck ends up talking about Allo
Allo. A B&Q SDS thread ends up talking about buses. A decking thread
finishes with a discussion about apostrophes............

Thread drift is greatly deprecated on _proper_ n/gs.

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Ian is offline

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
One of the things I like about this group is the way threads wander from
the original subject in such bizarre ways.

For example, a thread on Beefing up a Deck ends up talking about Allo
Allo. A B&Q SDS thread ends up talking about buses. A decking thread
finishes with a discussion about apostrophes............

Great innit!

--
Dave

There was a terrible queue on the way to Asda earlier. Maybe people just
think the threads you start are boring - or they have a life and want to
speak to people that have more than one interest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Ian is offline

"John Rumm" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
One of the things I like about this group is the way threads wander from
the original subject in such bizarre ways.

For example, a thread on Beefing up a Deck ends up talking about Allo
Allo. A B&Q SDS thread ends up talking about buses. A decking thread
finishes with a discussion about apostrophes............

Great innit!

That reminds me, must go and watch tonight's (check apostrophe) Dr. Who!

--
Cheers,

John.

Dr Who? Either you are very young or bat for the other side.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...
One of the things I like about this group is the way threads wander
from the original subject in such bizarre ways.

For example, a thread on Beefing up a Deck ends up talking about Allo
Allo. A B&Q SDS thread ends up talking about buses. A decking thread
finishes with a discussion about apostrophes............

Great innit!

--
Dave

There was a terrible queue on the way to Asda earlier. Maybe people
just think the threads you start are boring - or they have a life and
want to speak to people that have more than one interest.

But I didn't start all the threads did I ?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
One of the things I like about this group is the way threads wander
from the original subject in such bizarre ways.

For example, a thread on Beefing up a Deck ends up talking about Allo
Allo. A B&Q SDS thread ends up talking about buses. A decking thread
finishes with a discussion about apostrophes............

Great innit!

That reminds me, must go and watch tonight's (check apostrophe) Dr. Who!

There's a brilliant bit of OT on uk.tech.digital-tv - crossposted from a
Dr Who group - were some Greek fella is on about homosexuality/bestiality
in Dr Who/Touchwood. He seems to think inter species 'love' on this sort
of programme against god's laws and designed to pervert our youth. And
then went on to say that animals invite humans to have sex with them -
he's seen a cat turn its back on him and lift its tail. He also invents
words about his subject based loosely on Greek since he says the English
ones aren't clear enough. Easily beats Dribble in full flow - quite an
achievement.

--
*Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
:

But I didn't start all the threads did I ?

And the Germans didn't start _all_ the wars!

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
Ian wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...
One of the things I like about this group is the way threads wander
from the original subject in such bizarre ways.

For example, a thread on Beefing up a Deck ends up talking about Allo
Allo. A B&Q SDS thread ends up talking about buses. A decking thread
finishes with a discussion about apostrophes............

Great innit!

--
Dave

There was a terrible queue on the way to Asda earlier. Maybe people
just think the threads you start are boring - or they have a life and
want to speak to people that have more than one interest.

But I didn't start all the threads did I ?

Thread drift is a feature of a well established news group with members
knowing something of each others background, likes and dislikes and
where any net-nannying tendencies have been squashed:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
One of the things I like about this group is the way threads wander from
the original subject in such bizarre ways.

For example, a thread on Beefing up a Deck ends up talking about Allo
Allo. A B&Q SDS thread ends up talking about buses. A decking thread
finishes with a discussion about apostrophes............

Great innit!

It's a human condition, try looking up something in an ecyclopaedia without
being diverted!

Mary

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
It's a human condition, try looking up something in an ecyclopaedia
without being diverted!

And you a journalist. ;-)

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
It's a human condition, try looking up something in an encyclopaedia
without being diverted!

And you a journalist. ;-)

Not any more! I'm now in the Real World of newsgroups ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-03 09:36:56 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Does indeed.

Mind you there's currently some static from Poland about the
Teletubbies. Somebody wants it banned because one of them has a purple
handbag.

As to cats and their tails.... I am completely convinced that when a
cat turns it's back on you and raises and jerks its tail that it is
giving you the classic 'middle finger' response and is not inviting you
to have sex with it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

There's a brilliant bit of OT on uk.tech.digital-tv - crossposted from a
Dr Who group - were some Greek fella is on about homosexuality/bestiality
in Dr Who/Touchwood. He seems to think inter species 'love' on this sort
of programme against god's laws and designed to pervert our youth. And
then went on to say that animals invite humans to have sex with them -
he's seen a cat turn its back on him and lift its tail. He also invents
words about his subject based loosely on Greek since he says the English
ones aren't clear enough. Easily beats Dribble in full flow - quite an
achievement.

Yup saw that... its like dribble and half_pint rolled into one, but with
less charm.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-03 09:36:56 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Never mind Bill and Ben, the flower pot men, who smoked the little Weed.

"Alice" would never get past the censors today..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-03 09:36:56 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Not to mention what Andy Pandy got up to in that basket - with Teddy.

The one that made me shudder, when the kids watched it, was Rosie and
Jim. Did anyone else find them *very* creepy - something about the
facial expressions? Reminded me of some Hitchcock film.
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Never mind Bill and Ben, the flower pot men, who smoked the little Weed.

"Alice" would never get past the censors today..

Cap'n Pugwash with Master Bates and Seaman Stains.

--
*My designated driver drove me to drink

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-04 02:01:06 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Never mind Bill and Ben, the flower pot men, who smoked the little Weed.

"Alice" would never get past the censors today..

Cap'n Pugwash with Master Bates and Seaman Stains.

Folklore. There was also supposed to have been Roger the cabin boy.

However, it was Master Mate, Tom the cabin boy and pirates Barnabas and Willy.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/pugwash.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-04 02:01:06 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

In article , The Natural
Philosopher wrote:
Never mind Bill and Ben, the flower pot men, who smoked the little
Weed.

"Alice" would never get past the censors today..

Cap'n Pugwash with Master Bates and Seaman Stains.

Folklore. There was also supposed to have been Roger the cabin boy.

However, it was Master Mate, Tom the cabin boy and pirates Barnabas and
Willy.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/pugwash.htm

Of course I never actually watched it being too old at the time - but did
work on it on many occasions. And it was often said by the crew during a
recording - 'they'll never get away with that'.

Of course I'd be surprised if all the original recordings still exist,
given the nature of the prog and the fact that the BBC destroyed much more
prestigious stuff.

It was made in this way.

The complete sound track was pre-recorded elsewhere as effectively a radio
play. The Wurmser captions (animated mechanically) were placed on stands
in a studio and shot using three ordinary studio cameras which were panned
and zoomed (or even tracked in and out) as needed. So a nice gentle day
for the sound floor crew - once playback speakers and communications had
been rigged there was nothing else to do. ;-)

--
*Stable Relationships Are For Horses.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 3, 9:36 am, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

There's a brilliant bit of OT on uk.tech.digital-tv - crossposted from a
Dr Who group - were some Greek fella is on about homosexuality/bestiality
in Dr Who/Touchwood.

*Touchwood* Is that a typo or a Freudian slip? ;-)
--
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-04 10:42:37 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

On 2007-06-04 02:01:06 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

In article , The Natural
Philosopher wrote:
[...]

Well.... if you listen to the sound clip on the Snopes web site, it is
sufficiently muffled to sound questionable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
Rob Hamadi wrote:
There's a brilliant bit of OT on uk.tech.digital-tv - crossposted from
a Dr Who group - were some Greek fella is on about
homosexuality/bestiality in Dr Who/Touchwood.

*Touchwood* Is that a typo or a Freudian slip? ;-)

Just a hook...;-)

--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
The complete sound track was pre-recorded elsewhere as effectively a
radio play. The Wurmser captions (animated mechanically) were placed
on stands in a studio and shot using three ordinary studio cameras
which were panned and zoomed (or even tracked in and out) as needed.
So a nice gentle day for the sound floor crew - once playback speakers
and communications had been rigged there was nothing else to do. ;-)

Well.... if you listen to the sound clip on the Snopes web site, it is
sufficiently muffled to sound questionable.

That's not a function of the original track which was on 1/4" tape at
15ips, but likely from a poor domestic recording.

--
*He's not dead - he's electroencephalographically challenged