Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Wandering threads.......

On 2007-06-04 10:42:37 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

On 2007-06-04 02:01:06 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

In article , The Natural
Philosopher wrote:
Never mind Bill and Ben, the flower pot men, who smoked the little
Weed.

"Alice" would never get past the censors today..

Cap'n Pugwash with Master Bates and Seaman Stains.

Folklore. There was also supposed to have been Roger the cabin boy.

However, it was Master Mate, Tom the cabin boy and pirates Barnabas and
Willy.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/pugwash.htm

Of course I never actually watched it being too old at the time - but did
work on it on many occasions. And it was often said by the crew during a
recording - 'they'll never get away with that'.

Of course I'd be surprised if all the original recordings still exist,
given the nature of the prog and the fact that the BBC destroyed much more
prestigious stuff.

It was made in this way.

The complete sound track was pre-recorded elsewhere as effectively a radio
play. The Wurmser captions (animated mechanically) were placed on stands
in a studio and shot using three ordinary studio cameras which were panned
and zoomed (or even tracked in and out) as needed. So a nice gentle day
for the sound floor crew - once playback speakers and communications had
been rigged there was nothing else to do. ;-)

Well.... if you listen to the sound clip on the Snopes web site, it is
sufficiently muffled to sound questionable.