Default Wandering Toilet

I'm trying to decide whether I should attempt to repair my mother's
wandering toilet. This is a What's the Worst That Could Happen
question, because obviously the problem SEEMS to be a missing or
broken bolt. But at least the head of the bolt on the wandering side
is in place.

Last winter, after finding a constantly dripping flexi-pipe to the
toilet, I removed all the 4" x 4" floor tile the toilet sits on. The
tile had become cracked, there was no grout, and the subflooring was
moldy (it still is black, but that's another post topic).

Could the wandering come from the fact that I did not remove the few
tiles the toilet sits on? If the bolts were appropriately fitted to
the floor, wouldn't that keep the toilet from "wandering off?" (Maybe
it's getting senile, like me!)

RBM

Under the toilet, there is a flange, which should have two bolts through it
and attached to the toilet. If you are missing one, you can get a
replacement from a plumbing supply. You must lift the toilet to slip the
bolt into the flange. HTH
wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm trying to decide whether I should attempt to repair my mother's
wandering toilet. This is a What's the Worst That Could Happen
question, because obviously the problem SEEMS to be a missing or
broken bolt. But at least the head of the bolt on the wandering side
is in place.

Last winter, after finding a constantly dripping flexi-pipe to the
toilet, I removed all the 4" x 4" floor tile the toilet sits on. The
tile had become cracked, there was no grout, and the subflooring was
moldy (it still is black, but that's another post topic).

Could the wandering come from the fact that I did not remove the few
tiles the toilet sits on? If the bolts were appropriately fitted to
the floor, wouldn't that keep the toilet from "wandering off?" (Maybe
it's getting senile, like me!)

Joseph Meehan

RBM wrote:
Under the toilet, there is a flange, which should have two bolts
through it and attached to the toilet. If you are missing one, you
can get a replacement from a plumbing supply. You must lift the
toilet to slip the bolt into the flange. HTH

Get a new wax ring while you are at the store. You need to replace the
current one when you rest the toilet.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math