Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any Way to Buy Steel Construction Beams Damaged?

Is there any way to buy steel construction beams that have some kind of
deformity or damage that would make them unable to be used in commercial
construction? I'm trying to find a way to buy beams for some backyard
Pergolas that would cost pennies on the dollar.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"W" fired this volley in
:

Is there any way to buy steel construction beams that have some kind of
deformity or damage that would make them unable to be used in commercial
construction? I'm trying to find a way to buy beams for some backyard
Pergolas that would cost pennies on the dollar.

Every iron erector has "drops" -- lengths cut off of steel too long to
serve their purposes. Some may be long enough for your application.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"W" wrote in message
Is there any way to buy steel construction beams that have some kind of
deformity or damage that would make them unable to be used in commercial
construction? I'm trying to find a way to buy beams for some backyard
Pergolas that would cost pennies on the dollar.

If you were in central MN, I could cut you a deal. Look to steel salvage
yards if you don't have time to buy at auction. Pretty hard to find good
deals these days though. You used to be able to show up on Saturday and
show'em the color of your money green to get a great deal. At least in MN,
those days are gone.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DanG" wrote in message
Look in your yellow pages under wrecking or demolition.

Here, they have an extensive yard full of beams, bar joists, etc.

What would be considered a good price to pay for a used construction beam?

"W" wrote in message
Is there any way to buy steel construction beams that have some
kind of
deformity or damage that would make them unable to be used in
commercial
construction? I'm trying to find a way to buy beams for some
backyard
Pergolas that would cost pennies on the dollar.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"W" wrote in message
Is there any way to buy steel construction beams that have some
kind of
deformity or damage that would make them unable to be used in
commercial
construction? I'm trying to find a way to buy beams for some
backyard
Pergolas that would cost pennies on the dollar.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

W wrote:
"DanG" wrote in message
Look in your yellow pages under wrecking or demolition.

Here, they have an extensive yard full of beams, bar joists, etc.

What would be considered a good price to pay for a used construction
beam?

Scrap goes for $0.35 per pound around these parts. Drops (useable new steel
in odd lengths, usually 8 footers from my supplier) go for $0.65 per pound
if I'm doing the math right.

The scrap price is what it's been for the last couple of months, the drops
price is from my order about a month ago.

I guess it would depend on how "used" your beam is, how rusty, and in what
lengths.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I would think 50 cents/lb would be a good deal.

--