TwoGuns

Default I need some good used steel I-Beams

I am going to be building a truck shop on the farm next year. I need at
least 20 - 8" to 10" 40 foot long steel I-Beams. Salvaged steel is OK.
What kind of prices, not counting transportation, would be typical for
good used steel like that described? No E-mails please.I check the
group two or three times a week.
TIA,
Dennis

Grant Erwin

TwoGuns wrote:
I am going to be building a truck shop on the farm next year. I need at
least 20 - 8" to 10" 40 foot long steel I-Beams. Salvaged steel is OK.
What kind of prices, not counting transportation, would be typical for
good used steel like that described? No E-mails please.I check the
group two or three times a week.

Really, call the steel distributors in your area and check the new prices. For
that volume they might be willing to give you a pretty decent price, not much
more than used, and just what you want with little rust.

GWE
Bruce L. Bergman

On 25 Oct 2005 21:37:47 -0700, "TwoGuns"
wrote:

I am going to be building a truck shop on the farm next year. I need at
least 20 - 8" to 10" 40 foot long steel I-Beams. Salvaged steel is OK.
What kind of prices, not counting transportation, would be typical for
good used steel like that described? No E-mails please.I check the
group two or three times a week.
TIA,
Dennis

Besides checking the steel yards, I'd also call the companies
advertising complete steel buildings. Erector Sets for adults.

They might be able to sell you a complete building kit for less than
the cost of materials and fasteners, welding up columns and braces to
hold those I beams up, the sheetmetal to cover them, and all the
engineering and architect time you'd have to pay for to get a set of
plans past the building inspectors and pull permits.

(The sentence structure of that last paragraph sucks eggs, and I'm
not going to waste time trying to fix it. So there. Nyah.)

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545