Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Import BXA toolpost experience

*Has anybody had a bad
experience with the import knock-offs other than that the screws on
the individual tool holders need to be replaced.

I have a Phase II piston type from Enco (on sale). I've had to file
one genuine Aloris morse taper holder slightly to get it on the
dovetail, but other than that, no issues--I've not had any trouble
with random import holders off ebay. Any time I've had chatter, it's
always ended up being in the carriage or compound, not the toolpost.

Looking at the auction, he used a stock photo, not one of the actual
item. That usually makes me wary, but using the _wrong_ stock photo
gets me fully on my guard immediately, makes me wonder if he's
actually got any to sell at all, or if he's just drop-shipping from
some other retailer (for example, it's common to see stuff listed from
HF for $10 over their price) or just scamming outright. A 98.2
feedback isn't much to write home about, especially after only 699
auctions--I'd walk away just from that. Lots of dings for late
shipment and poor communication. Personally, I think I'd keep
looking, especially when there's stuff like items 270414954729 or
330434576690 out there.

CDCOtools.com has a no-name BXA piston style for under a c-note. Enco
currently has Phase II on sale, in both piston and wedge--and will
actually support you after the sale.

--Glenn Lyford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Glenn Lyford" wrote in message
[...]

I sold a BXA piston type holder, real Aloris, for a little over $100 a few
years back, and bought a wedge type for about $50 more - if you are patient
you can get the real thing at an OK price, particularly in a used set with a
bunch of holders - and even more particularly if the auction starting price
is high, or the BIN is about right

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 May 2010 06:48:48 -0700 (PDT), Glenn Lyford
wrote:

*Has anybody had a bad
experience with the import knock-offs other than that the screws on
the individual tool holders need to be replaced.

A 98.2
feedback isn't much to write home about, especially after only 699
auctions--I'd walk away just from that. Lots of dings for late
shipment and poor communication. Personally, I think I'd keep
looking, especially when there's stuff like items 270414954729 or
330434576690 out there.

I took the plunge and ordered the one from Discount_Tools / Shars
since the price was comparable and the feedback was 99.8 and he'd sold
61 of them previously. It also stuck in the back of my mind that in
the past someone had mentioned that Shars stuff was OK. I guess I"m
the guinea pig. I'll let you guys know what I think when I've had a
chance to use it. Unfortunately, I've never owned an Aloris so I
don't have the gold standard for comparison.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Did you mean "Discount_Machine"? I have a lot of items from SHARS.
(Including the AXA toolpost).

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...slander/Tools/
http://www.shars.com/products/view/1...Wedge_Type_111

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I've bought from Shars, as wells a HH and CDCO.
All were good experiences, no drama.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
*Has anybody had a bad
experience with the import knock-offs other than that the screws on
the individual tool holders need to be replaced.

[ ... ]

I took the plunge and ordered the one from Discount_Tools / Shars
since the price was comparable and the feedback was 99.8 and he'd sold
61 of them previously. *It also stuck in the back of my mind that in
the past someone had mentioned that Shars stuff was OK. *I guess I"m
the guinea pig. *I'll let you guys know what I think when I've had a
chance to use it. *Unfortunately, I've never owned an Aloris so I
don't have the gold standard for comparison.

[ ... ]

Did you mean "Discount_Machine"? I have a lot of items from SHARS.
(Including the AXA toolpost).

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...slander/Tools/
http://www.shars.com/products/view/1...Wedge_Type_111

Hmm ... this is perhaps a chance to see whether other of this
brand of Wedge style toolpost also have the screw on the bottom of the
turning position wedge. Re-post the links to the photo which shows the
screw, so he can check that and compare with his toolpost.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
*Has anybody had a bad
experience with the import knock-offs other than that the screws on
the individual tool holders need to be replaced.

* * * * [ ... ]

http://www.shars.com/products/view/1...ol_Post_Set_We...

* * * * Hmm ... this is perhaps a chance to see whether other of this
brand of Wedge style toolpost also have the screw on the bottom of the
turning position wedge. *Re-post the links to the photo which shows the
screw, so he can check that and compare with his toolpost.

* * * * Good Luck,
* * * * * * * * DoN.

--
*Email: * * | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
* * * * (too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
* * * * * *--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

The screw can be seen in the 6th photo on that page.(Here is a larger
pic: http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...Toolpostb.jpg).

There is definitely no screw on the other side.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

* * * * Hmm ... this is perhaps a chance to see whether other of this
brand of Wedge style toolpost also have the screw on the bottom of the
turning position wedge. *Re-post the links to the photo which shows the
screw, so he can check that and compare with his toolpost.

* * * * Good Luck,
* * * * * * * * DoN.

The screw can be seen in the 6th photo on that page.(Here is a larger
pic: http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...Toolpostb.jpg).

There is definitely no screw on the other side.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

I downloaded the photo and saved it to my computer. It needed to be
lightened in order to see what I think you're talking about. It looks
like there's a screw head on the underside of the wedge. Is that what
you're talking about? If so, I'll check mine when it arrives. It
shipped today from wherever Discount Machine is located.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-21, Searcher7 wrote:
On May 20, 6:31*pm, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

* * * * Hmm ... this is perhaps a chance to see whether other of this
brand of Wedge style toolpost also have the screw on the bottom of the
turning position wedge. *Re-post the links to the photo which shows the
screw, so he can check that and compare with his toolpost.

[ ... ]

The screw can be seen in the 6th photo on that page.(Here is a larger
pic: http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...Toolpostb.jpg).

Download it and use whatever tools your computer offers to
lighten the image. All of his images are too dark to clearly see
details. I boost the gamma to 1.5 or 2.0 to get a good view of the
screw.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
*Has anybody had a bad
experience with the import knock-offs other than that the screws on
the individual tool holders need to be replaced.

* * * * [ ... ]

I took the plunge and ordered the one from Discount_Tools / Shars
since the price was comparable and the feedback was 99.8 and he'd sold
61 of them previously. *It also stuck in the back of my mind that in
the past someone had mentioned that Shars stuff was OK. *I guess I"m
the guinea pig. *I'll let you guys know what I think when I've had a
chance to use it. *Unfortunately, I've never owned an Aloris so I
don't have the gold standard for comparison.

* * * * [ ... ]

Did you mean "Discount_Machine"? I have a lot of items from SHARS.
(Including the AXA toolpost).

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...slander/Tools/
http://www.shars.com/products/view/1...ol_Post_Set_We...

* * * * Hmm ... this is perhaps a chance to see whether other of this
brand of Wedge style toolpost also have the screw on the bottom of the
turning position wedge. *Re-post the links to the photo which shows the
screw, so he can check that and compare with his toolpost.

* * * * Good Luck,
* * * * * * * * DoN.

--
*Email: * * | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
* * * * (too) near Washington D.C.
|http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
* * * * * *--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

The screw can be seen in the 6th photo on that page.(Here is a larger
pic:
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...ction=view&cur
rent=Aloris12NonToolpostb.jpg).

There is definitely no screw on the other side.

The picture was hard to interpret, but it does appear that things are gummed up
with cosmoline or the like. Paint thinner on a rag will take the cosmoline off.
Be sure to get down into the V-corners of the dovetails on both holders and
toolpost. Dry with paper towels.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I took the plunge and ordered the one from Discount_Tools / Shars

RWL

Did you mean "Discount_Machine"? I have a lot of items from SHARS.
(Including the AXA toolpost).

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Oops. You're right. It was Discount Machine.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I took the plunge and ordered the one from Discount_Tools / Shars
since the price was comparable and the feedback was 99.8 and he'd sold
61 of them previously. *It also stuck in the back of my mind that in
the past someone had mentioned that Shars stuff was OK.

Glad that helped. I'd be curious to see your evaluation once it
arrives.

--Glenn Lyford