Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default welding repair of a trailer

Yesterday I used the Don 'n Con communal trailer to move some
furniture. Noted that neighbor Con had a bungee cord holding a fender
in place. Con is a consummate craftsman with wood, metal is my
province.

The fender bracket I'd made and welded in place had failed in fatigue
and the other three (two per fender) weren't far behind.

I made new brackets out of thicker metal, fitted them and welded them
in place right over the old ones. Creaked a bit while doing it, but I
got 'er done. The little red box MIG I had when I stuck those fenders
on a decade ago couldn't handle the thick angles I made and stuck on
today, but it was a yawn for the later-accquired Millermatic 210.

I was quite surprised to discover that welds made overhead while on my
back in the grass looked and sounded quite different from those made
in more usual condx. Burned some grass and skin learning.

My first weld of the 8 was sound but not pretty. About impossible to
get at with any grinder I have. What the hell, it's a trailer. The
last weld was ****ing gorgeous. Hey, this creak is hangin' in there.
I have been a competent weldor but it's a skill that is lost if not
practiced. Good news is, the skill is quickly regained if previously
earned.

Those fenders are now on there for as long as I'll care, and a bit of
rattlecan instant cold galvanize made them quite presentable.