Michael Shaffer

Default Boat trailer repair questions

Hi, I bought a boat trailer and just noticed the frame is a little bent
at the front. The original owner mentioned that he had two boats on it
at once but I didn't think to inspect the frame. Here is a picture of
where it's bent. BTW it's bend on both sides equally so it doesn't seem
to affect the steering or anything.

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/trailer9.jpg

One other question I had is, the trailer has some rust and I'm not sure
how bad it is. Also, should I change the u-bolts on the axle just to be
safe?

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/trailer8.jpg
http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/trailer10.jpg
http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/trailer7.jpg

Thanks,
Michael

Mike Fields

Michael Shaffer wrote:

Nevermind, I just jumped on the front of it and it bent right back
into place

Michael Shaffer wrote:

If I could jump on the front and bend it back (and I'm good size),
I think I would consider using only for hauling mattresses or pillows.

mikey

Don White

Michael Shaffer wrote:

If I could jump on the front and bend it back (and I'm good size),
I think I would consider using only for hauling mattresses or pillows.

mikey

Personally, I would junk the thing and but a new galvanized trailer. It
will last you 20 years if you take care of it.
Don White

Michael Shaffer wrote:

If I could jump on the front and bend it back (and I'm good size),
I think I would consider using only for hauling mattresses or pillows.

mikey

Personally, I would junk the thing and but a new galvanized trailer. It
will last you 20 years if you take care of it.

That should be 'buy'....

I doubt if the U bolts need to be changed. They are pretty thick
metal. So if you lost .050 off them , they would not have lost a large
percentage of their strength. The Frame is a different story. It is
likely less than 1/8 inch thick when new. So losing .050 off the frame
may have cut the strength in half.

I would take a hammer and rap all over the frame to see if any parts
are nearly rusted thru. I helped repair a boat trailer that had
serious rust from being in salt water. I replaced the pieces that were
seriously rusted.

Dan

Damp repair questions Brian UK diy 6 July 20th 07 04:42 PM
GE refrigerator warranty repair misery [email protected] Home Ownership 6 March 13th 05 04:29 AM
Drywall Repair Questions mjb920 Home Repair 1 February 11th 05 10:48 PM
Log Loading Ramp for trailer?? Terry King Metalworking 5 September 25th 03 11:19 PM
Small trailer plans John Rumm UK diy 8 August 16th 03 04:39 PM