Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT? 2 men severely burned when spark ignites oil tank

local story.
huh, the first time i read this story i thought it said they were cutting an
oil tank.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/100419913

2 men severely burned when spark ignites oil tank
By Paul Brooks
also by Stephen Sacco

Published: 2:00 AM - 04/13/10
MALDEN-ON-HUDSON - A 275-gallon waste oil tank at Steyer's Hudson Valley
Automotive exploded Monday, severely burning two mechanics.
Scott Kammerzell, 39, of Palenville, was flown to Westchester Medical Center
in critical condition and Brian Wright, 44, of Saugerties, was flown to
Albany Medical Center in serious condition, state police said.
A third mechanic, Steven Steyer, 21, of Saugerties, suffered a cut to his
ear and minor burns and was taken to Kingston Hospital for treatment.
Firefighters were on the scene within four minutes. The building at 468
Malden Turnpike sustained only minor damage. "They were lucky the whole
building was not leveled," said Randy Ricks, chief of the Centerville-Cedar
Grove Fire Department.
Troopers said the 1:28 p.m. explosion was caused by a spark from metal
cutting that ignited gas in the tank.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Why is gasoline in a waste oil tank?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"William Wixon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 20, 3:43*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Why is gasoline in a waste oil tank?

Presumably waste MOTOR oil. That smell you get from the old black
stuff when you change oil is gas or its residue. If you're really
unlucky and have a stuck ring, bad carb or fuel injection, there could
be a lot of raw gas in there, wouldn't be unheard of for somebody to
roll into a repair shop with those problems. Most joints I've been in
that recycle waste motor oil have the tanks vented to the outside,
though. Apparently not the case here. And guys do put most any waste
petroleum product in those tanks, too.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 17:43:27 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Why is gasoline in a waste oil tank?

In an automotive shop I can see it happening if oil gets diluted with
gas on an engine that gets "flooded" - but I thought this was an
industrial lubricant tank????
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Why is gasoline in a waste oil tank?

In an automotive shop I can see it happening if oil gets diluted with
gas on an engine that gets "flooded" - but I thought this was an
industrial lubricant tank????

You can get the correct conditions to blow up a diesel tank also. Guy
working for my dad was welding the fuel tank for a Hopto many years ago, in
downtown San Francisco. The tank blew out the side. Broke lots of
windows, but the welder did not get injured. They were all surprised the
diesel tank went.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 19:06:13 -0700, "Bill McKee"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Why is gasoline in a waste oil tank?

In an automotive shop I can see it happening if oil gets diluted with
gas on an engine that gets "flooded" - but I thought this was an
industrial lubricant tank????

You can get the correct conditions to blow up a diesel tank also. Guy
working for my dad was welding the fuel tank for a Hopto many years ago, in
downtown San Francisco. The tank blew out the side. Broke lots of
windows, but the welder did not get injured. They were all surprised the
diesel tank went.

Welding ON the tank - sure - you get it hot enough to vapourize the
fuel oil and you have a real bomb.

A spark won't do it though.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Not sure we ever got the real story.
Butt---- if some of that "waste oil" came from an old engine, it
could have had a high percentage of gasoline in it.
for a while, my Ford 4000 backhoe had a plugged up gas tank cap.
When the engine and tank got hot, the pressure pushed gasoline in raw.
When I discovered the problem and checked the oil, I had about 3 extra
quarts in the sump.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------------

wrote:

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 19:06:13 -0700, "Bill McKee"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

Why is gasoline in a waste oil tank?

In an automotive shop I can see it happening if oil gets diluted with
gas on an engine that gets "flooded" - but I thought this was an
industrial lubricant tank????

You can get the correct conditions to blow up a diesel tank also. Guy
working for my dad was welding the fuel tank for a Hopto many years ago, in
downtown San Francisco. The tank blew out the side. Broke lots of
windows, but the welder did not get injured. They were all surprised the
diesel tank went.

Welding ON the tank - sure - you get it hot enough to vapourize the
fuel oil and you have a real bomb.

A spark won't do it though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
Not sure we ever got the real story.
Butt---- if some of that "waste oil" came from an old engine, it could
have had a high percentage of gasoline in it.
for a while, my Ford 4000 backhoe had a plugged up gas tank cap. When
the engine and tank got hot, the pressure pushed gasoline in raw. When I
discovered the problem and checked the oil, I had about 3 extra quarts in
the sump.

Pete Stanaitis

i haven't seen any follow up articles. newspapers so often get the real
details and facts wrong huh?
yeah, really. me too. whew! huge scary learning experience. one time,
cutting the grass, lawnmower stalled, stupidly i forgot to turn off the key,
left it there for several hours, came back and... it was a long time ago, i
think i had trouble starting it... can't remember... but i do remember i
finally DID get it started (maybe i had to jump the solenoid?) and black
thin "oil" was *SPEWING* out the pvc valve connector (and other orifices)(i
think i had removed the air cleaner to see what was up) ALL OVER the engine,
it was terrifying. i was so afraid (i think at that point i figured out it
was gasoline) it was going to burst into flame. what had happened was the
fuel pump had stayed on (when i neglected to turn off the key) and the
needle valve in the carb wasn't seating correctly and it overflowed down the
carb and (somehow?) filled the crankcase with gasoline. was very scary.

b.w.