Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kaboom when furnace ignites

I get this annoying noise when my furnace kicks on, it sounds as if it's
going to explode or something.

What on earth could it be?
Posted to alt.home.repair

dont know what type of burners you have ,but if its old type with
rail burners and pilot light,, vacuming the burners and pilot area may
help. but really , a trained person should look at it if cleanng doesnt
help. lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chrissy Wellard wrote:
I get this annoying noise when my furnace kicks on, it sounds as if it's
going to explode or something.

What on earth could it be?

Natural gas, propane, Oil, kero ???
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chrissy asked: "What on earth could it be?"

Well, if it's a serious enough problem, "on earth" is a place you and
your family might not be for much longer.

Assuming it's an older unit with a pilot light, it sounds as if the
burner chamber is filling with gas before the pilot ignites it. Once
the fumes build up enough, they reach the pilot flame and things go
boom.

I would seriously consider placing a service call before the boom gets
any bigger. A hospital (or worse) is a terrible place to spend the
holidays.

Reminds me of a show where the bad guy lit a candle and put it on top
of the fridge. He then loosened the flex pipe to the stove and calmly
walked away. It took a long time for the gas fumes to fill the room and
eventually reach the candle. By the time the house blew up, he had
established a pretty solid alibi for being far from the explosion when
it occurred.

Chrissy Wellard wrote:
I get this annoying noise when my furnace kicks on, it sounds as if it's
going to explode or something.

What on earth could it be?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Em Em is offline

My mother had that problem with the heater in her basement, and it went on
for weeks until she called the police to ask if there was artillery practice
going on in the neighborhood. Then she looked in the basement and the
furniture was strewn about. The whole house could have been blown to
smithereens. Turn off the heater and get the problem fixed NOW.
-Em

oups.com...

Chrissy Wellard wrote:
I get this annoying noise when my furnace kicks on, it sounds as if it's
going to explode or something.

What on earth could it be?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chrissy Wellard" wrote in message
I get this annoying noise when my furnace kicks on, it sounds as if it's
going to explode or something.

What on earth could it be?

My neighbor had this problem, and it turned out that the gas jet
for the pilot light was partly plugged, so the flame was too small
to quickly light the burner. I removed the jet, cleared it with a fine
wire. Problem solved.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
"Chrissy Wellard" wrote in message
I get this annoying noise when my furnace kicks on, it sounds as if it's
going to explode or something.

What on earth could it be?

My neighbor had this problem, and it turned out that the gas jet
for the pilot light was partly plugged, so the flame was too small
to quickly light the burner. I removed the jet, cleared it with a fine
wire. Problem solved.

Bob

Same here.. pilot light had to be cleaned. When the gas guy came out to
light my natural gas water heater, it did the same thing.. A little
boom/poof.. etc.. Made my pant leg move and I felt the heat.. but
that's it. No problems since..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chrissy Wellard wrote:
I get this annoying noise when my furnace kicks on, it sounds as if it's
going to explode or something.

What on earth could it be?

As a bit of counterpoint to some of the other responses. My gas
furnace also gives kind of a boom/woosh when it fires up, and its
normal, has been doing it for years without any problem. I guess it's
a matter of degree. I wouldn't say it sounds as if it's going to
explode, but you can hear it if you're on the first floor (furnace is
in basement). It has a glow-plug type ignitor. You might try just
watching the furnace while it fires up to see if flames shoot out or
anything. Or for safety and peace of mind, get a technician in to
check it out. -- H

Posted to alt.home.repair

I lived in a rental house with this issue once, and that's exactly what
was wrong.

By the way, for all of you landlords who are always howling about bad
tenants, in this house the furnace was not controlled by the
thermostat, either. We had to go out on the (unheated) back porch and
flip the circuit breaker on and off to turn the furnace on/off.
Roommate and I took turns at night (whoever got cold first, then
whoever got hot first, and so on). Oh yeah, porch was unlighted, too,
so we kept a flashlight on the kitchen counter by the door so we could
find the circuit breaker in the night.

It took the landlord months to get someone to check into the "exploding
furnace" issue, which would rattle the windows and knock knick-knacks
off shelves.

When the sewer backed up, his answer was to open up the cleanout in the
yard and run the sewage directly into the roadside ditch.

I could say more, but just thought I'd take this opportunity to get a
tenant's 2 cents worth in for a change.

Jo Ann

wrote:
dont know what type of burners you have ,but if its old type with
rail burners and pilot light,, vacuming the burners and pilot area may
help. but really , a trained person should look at it if cleanng doesnt
help. lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair

canard wrote

From past experience, it is the burners that are dirty.

It wasnt when I had that happen, just slow to ignite.

And after 14 years, its unlikely that she is still
waiting for you to tell her what to do about it.

Just turn the furnace off (electrically with the switch on the wall and
put the gaz knob to off and of course put the thermostat at the lowest
setting. Get a good light and a few basic tools and remove the burners and
vacuum them ir even better use a copper brush at the end of a drill to
clean all the burner's openings well. Replace, put the bottom door back if
you removed it (to push on the safety stop switch), put on pilot, relight
with a barbecue lighter, count to 100 and keep your finger on the pilot
buttin, when lit put on ON and then put your thermostat higher and then
listen and it should not bang anymore. If it does clean the pilot as
outlet and you can even try this first but if you pilot flame is good it
should not be the problem.

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-173531-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2021 8:45 PM, canard wrote:
From past experience, it is the burners that are dirty. Just turn the
furnace off (electrically with the switch on the wall and put the gaz
knob to off and of course put the thermostat at the lowest setting. Get
a good light and a few basic tools and remove the burners and vacuum
them ir even better use a copper brush at the end of a drill to clean
all the burner's openings well. Replace, put the bottom door back if you
removed it (to push on the safety stop switch), put on pilot, relight
with a barbecue lighter, count to 100 and keep your finger on the pilot
buttin, when lit put on ON and then put your thermostat higher and then
listen and it should not bang anymore. If it does clean the pilot as
outlet and you can even try this first but if you pilot flame is good it
should not be the problem.

I have seen this when the pilot light jet is plugged, and the flame is
to small to quickly light the flame. It can be cleaned with a fine wire.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 16:18:18 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the auto-contradicting trolling senile asshole's latest troll****
unread

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

canard writes:

From past experience, it is the burners that are dirty. Just turn the
furnace off (electrically with the switch on the wall and put the gaz
knob to off and of course put the thermostat at the lowest
setting. Get a good light and a few basic tools and remove the burners
and vacuum them ir even better use a copper brush at the end of a
drill to clean all the burner's openings well. Replace, put the bottom
door back if you removed it (to push on the safety stop switch), put
on pilot, relight with a barbecue lighter, count to 100 and keep your
finger on the pilot buttin, when lit put on ON and then put your
thermostat higher and then listen and it should not bang anymore. If
it does clean the pilot as outlet and you can even try this first but
if you pilot flame is good it should not be the problem.

Okay you win today's prize.

You may or may not know this, but most of the posts on homeowners hub
are actually from Usenet.

On Usenet, we don't see old posts, only the most recent posts and replies.
The post you just replied to is 14 years old. Please check
the dates and if you feel you must reply, please include the
original post in your reply.

Better yet, get a Usenet account. You can do this for free.

--
Dan Espen

Old Lennox Furnace - Model GH6 100T (maybe thermostat maybe furnace problem) jack Home Repair 5 November 9th 08 02:22 PM
Gas stove no longer ignites Thomas G. Marshall Home Repair 3 July 31st 06 07:28 AM
run my oil forced air furnace once a month in the summer to keep the furnace from rusting clickclack Home Repair 7 July 7th 06 10:55 PM
opinion's on kaboom neverscrub toilet cleaner [email protected] Home Ownership 1 May 25th 06 06:18 PM
opinion's on kaboom neverscrub toilet cleaner [email protected] Home Ownership 0 May 24th 06 10:01 PM