Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Kaboom when furnace ignites

Chrissy asked: "What on earth could it be?"

Well, if it's a serious enough problem, "on earth" is a place you and
your family might not be for much longer.

Assuming it's an older unit with a pilot light, it sounds as if the
burner chamber is filling with gas before the pilot ignites it. Once
the fumes build up enough, they reach the pilot flame and things go
boom.

I would seriously consider placing a service call before the boom gets
any bigger. A hospital (or worse) is a terrible place to spend the
holidays.

Reminds me of a show where the bad guy lit a candle and put it on top
of the fridge. He then loosened the flex pipe to the stove and calmly
walked away. It took a long time for the gas fumes to fill the room and
eventually reach the candle. By the time the house blew up, he had
established a pretty solid alibi for being far from the explosion when
it occurred.

Chrissy Wellard wrote:
I get this annoying noise when my furnace kicks on, it sounds as if it's
going to explode or something.

What on earth could it be?