Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff Heathcliff is offline

Default Kaboom when furnace ignites

Chrissy Wellard wrote:
I get this annoying noise when my furnace kicks on, it sounds as if it's
going to explode or something.

What on earth could it be?

As a bit of counterpoint to some of the other responses. My gas
furnace also gives kind of a boom/woosh when it fires up, and its
normal, has been doing it for years without any problem. I guess it's
a matter of degree. I wouldn't say it sounds as if it's going to
explode, but you can hear it if you're on the first floor (furnace is
in basement). It has a glow-plug type ignitor. You might try just
watching the furnace while it fires up to see if flames shoot out or
anything. Or for safety and peace of mind, get a technician in to
check it out. -- H