Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT? 2 men severely burned when spark ignites oil tank

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 19:06:13 -0700, "Bill McKee"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 17:43:27 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Why is gasoline in a waste oil tank?

In an automotive shop I can see it happening if oil gets diluted with
gas on an engine that gets "flooded" - but I thought this was an
industrial lubricant tank????

You can get the correct conditions to blow up a diesel tank also. Guy
working for my dad was welding the fuel tank for a Hopto many years ago, in
downtown San Francisco. The tank blew out the side. Broke lots of
windows, but the welder did not get injured. They were all surprised the
diesel tank went.

Welding ON the tank - sure - you get it hot enough to vapourize the
fuel oil and you have a real bomb.

A spark won't do it though.