Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon William Wixon is offline

Default OT? 2 men severely burned when spark ignites oil tank

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
Not sure we ever got the real story.
Butt---- if some of that "waste oil" came from an old engine, it could
have had a high percentage of gasoline in it.
for a while, my Ford 4000 backhoe had a plugged up gas tank cap. When
the engine and tank got hot, the pressure pushed gasoline in raw. When I
discovered the problem and checked the oil, I had about 3 extra quarts in
the sump.

Pete Stanaitis

i haven't seen any follow up articles. newspapers so often get the real
details and facts wrong huh?
yeah, really. me too. whew! huge scary learning experience. one time,
cutting the grass, lawnmower stalled, stupidly i forgot to turn off the key,
left it there for several hours, came back and... it was a long time ago, i
think i had trouble starting it... can't remember... but i do remember i
finally DID get it started (maybe i had to jump the solenoid?) and black
thin "oil" was *SPEWING* out the pvc valve connector (and other orifices)(i
think i had removed the air cleaner to see what was up) ALL OVER the engine,
it was terrifying. i was so afraid (i think at that point i figured out it
was gasoline) it was going to burst into flame. what had happened was the
fuel pump had stayed on (when i neglected to turn off the key) and the
needle valve in the carb wasn't seating correctly and it overflowed down the
carb and (somehow?) filled the crankcase with gasoline. was very scary.

b.w.