Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 80 year old waterpump that still works

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...-Pump-6762.jpg

And the company is still around also.

I want to look THAT good at the age of this pump.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

And, notice the cloth insulated wires. That's a gem.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ignoramus27467" wrote
in message

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...-Pump-6762.jpg

And the company is still around also.

I want to look THAT good at the age of this pump.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus27467 wrote:
http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...-Pump-6762.jpg

And the company is still around also.

I want to look THAT good at the age of this pump.

Great looking pump! What make is the electric motor?

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-11, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Ignoramus27467 wrote:
http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...-Pump-6762.jpg

And the company is still around also.

I want to look THAT good at the age of this pump.

Great looking pump! What make is the electric motor?

Westinghouse is the motor brand.

Amazingly, both Westinghouse and the original maker of the pump (McKay
equipment), are still around.

This pump was used by an "old lady" until her house was demolished.

I would like to posit a hypothesis that I came up with yesterday,
which is that makers of equipment that is very long lasting,
themselves last longer. Some examples are Quincy compressor, McKay
equipment (maker of the pump), Champion compressor, etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4694 fired this volley in
:

I would like to posit a hypothesis that I came up with yesterday,
which is that makers of equipment that is very long lasting,
themselves last longer. Some examples are Quincy compressor, McKay
equipment (maker of the pump), Champion compressor, etc.

And Santore & Sons, Inc (pyrotechnics) in business continually since 1898.

(Of which I am affiliated)G

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4694 wrote:

Great looking pump! What make is the electric motor?

Westinghouse is the motor brand.

Amazingly, both Westinghouse and the original maker of the pump (McKay
equipment), are still around.

This pump was used by an "old lady" until her house was demolished.

Why was her house demolished?

Next question, what caused you to find this pump and buy it?

Note: Lycos is dead so I set up a new gmail account for this group.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-12, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus4694 fired this volley in
:

I would like to posit a hypothesis that I came up with yesterday,
which is that makers of equipment that is very long lasting,
themselves last longer. Some examples are Quincy compressor, McKay
equipment (maker of the pump), Champion compressor, etc.

And Santore & Sons, Inc (pyrotechnics) in business continually since 1898.

(Of which I am affiliated)G

Yep. And the reaosn is that probably, long lived products mean good
reputation and ability to charge premium prices.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-12, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus4694 wrote:

Great looking pump! What make is the electric motor?

Westinghouse is the motor brand.

Amazingly, both Westinghouse and the original maker of the pump (McKay
equipment), are still around.

This pump was used by an "old lady" until her house was demolished.

Why was her house demolished?

No idea.

Next question, what caused you to find this pump and buy it?

I bought it from a guy who was selling off his equipment. He had a
huge hangar full of Stuff. He was in excavating business and is
getting out. I bought this antique pump for $5 (and the ARO 4000 lbs
pneumatic chain hoist for $35, and a huge Greymills parts washer for
$40, and a Snapon YA212A MIG/TIG welder with tank for a undisclosed
price, and more stuff).

Note: Lycos is dead so I set up a new gmail account for this group.

I love gmail and moved most of my correspondence there. Gmail, google
calendar, and google docs changed the way I live my life, literally.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-12, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus4694 wrote:

[...]

I avoid all things Google and do quite nicely. I see Google as the
world's largest source of all things SPAM (not just Google Groups).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-12, Ignoramus4694 wrote:
I bought it from a guy who was selling off his equipment. He had a
huge hangar full of Stuff. He was in excavating business and is
getting out. I bought this antique pump for $5 (and the ARO 4000 lbs
pneumatic chain hoist for $35, and a huge Greymills parts washer for
$40, and a Snapon YA212A MIG/TIG welder with tank for a undisclosed
price, and more stuff).

Also a box with a four jaw chuck for Craftsman 12" lathe, steady rest
for same, dog drive plate for same, and a set of change gears for same
lathe, all for $10.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-12, Pete C. wrote:

I love gmail and moved most of my correspondence there. Gmail, google
calendar, and google docs changed the way I live my life, literally.

I avoid all things Google and do quite nicely. I see Google as the
world's largest source of all things SPAM (not just Google Groups).

Google pays me several K per month. Because of it, it has a special
place in my heart. But I am sure that you are missing a lot frmo not
using gmail, calendar and google docs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Ignoramus4694 wrote:

Great looking pump! What make is the electric motor?

Westinghouse is the motor brand.

Amazingly, both Westinghouse and the original maker of the pump (McKay
equipment), are still around.

This pump was used by an "old lady" until her house was demolished.

Why was her house demolished?

Next question, what caused you to find this pump and buy it?

Note: Lycos is dead so I set up a new gmail account for this group.

Wes

cool pump. amazing it's got a leather belt. lol.

my local newspaper did like an informal "contest" for local residents to
send in who was running the oldest appliance in the area. was probably the
funniest and most interesting thing they ever ran in the newspaper. i just
did a search at the newspaper's website, no luck (they have a SUCKY search
engine). i wish i could remember the details, i think a woman won who has a
refrigerator from like the 20's, and i believe they said it's been in
continuous use(?). is that possible? did they even have electric
refrigerators in the 20's? i can't remember the details of the article but
it was damn funny.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Google (Was 80 year old waterpump)

In article ,

On 2010-04-12, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus4694 wrote:

(Snipped)

Note: Lycos is dead so I set up a new gmail account for this group.

I love gmail and moved most of my correspondence there. Gmail, google
calendar, and google docs changed the way I live my life, literally.

Me too... been heavily using pretty much everything Google offers for a
good while now.

Not so crazy about their newsgroup reader though... use MT Newswatcher
for that.

Google Voice is one that really changed things... works well, and all
it's call forwarding and voice mail features/flexibility are amazing.
Being able to call anywhere in the US toll free 24/7 saves me a bundle
every month as well.

Erik

PS, wow, haven't even heard the word Lycos since I can't remember
when...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-12, Erik wrote:
In article ,

On 2010-04-12, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus4694 wrote:

(Snipped)

Note: Lycos is dead so I set up a new gmail account for this group.

I love gmail and moved most of my correspondence there. Gmail, google
calendar, and google docs changed the way I live my life, literally.

Me too... been heavily using pretty much everything Google offers for a
good while now.

Not so crazy about their newsgroup reader though... use MT Newswatcher
for that.

Google Voice is one that really changed things... works well, and all
it's call forwarding and voice mail features/flexibility are amazing.
Being able to call anywhere in the US toll free 24/7 saves me a bundle
every month as well.

I love Google Voice, too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-12, Pete C. wrote:

I love gmail and moved most of my correspondence there. Gmail, google
calendar, and google docs changed the way I live my life, literally.

I avoid all things Google and do quite nicely. I see Google as the
world's largest source of all things SPAM (not just Google Groups).

Google pays me several K per month. Because of it, it has a special
place in my heart. But I am sure that you are missing a lot frmo not
using gmail, calendar and google docs.

So they pay you for helping them SPAM I take it?

I run my own mail server and have no issues at all with it. I have my
own web mail available that has no advertising SPAM on it, there are no
SPAM tag lines on my mail, etc. Virtually no SPAM mail makes it through
my filters either.

On Calendars, I don't know what they calendar could possibly do for me
and I admit I haven't looked at it since I have no apparent use for it.
My primary calendar is a good old fashioned paper calendar on the wall
in my office, and since I work from home it's pretty much always readily
available. I have virtually no need to consult it when I'm not near it
so the paper one works well.

I haven't looked at Google docs at all, so I can't say how little use I
might have for it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 11, 8:46*pm, "William Wixon" wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message

Ignoramus4694 wrote:

[...]

b.w.- Hide quoted text -

Yup, fridges were around, just cost a big fraction of an average
family's income to own one. Iceboxes had to serve for a looong time
for the not-so-wealthy. One design had the coils on top of the box,
you'll see them now and then in old movies where an early form of
product placement seems to have been practiced. Freon wasn't around,
so the individual units had nifty stuff like sulphur dioxide or methyl
chloride as the refrigerant. There were a few high-end apartment
buildings that had whole-building refrigeration, one pump in the
basement, tubing in the walls and each kitchen had a box and a set of
coils. Had one of those leak in S.F. while I was still in the Bay
Area, was either SO2 or ammonia for refrigerant. Had to clear the
building for several days. I had to get rid of an SO2-charged unit,
we used it for years for powder storage. My dad salvaged the motor,
they didn't have sealed units back then either. The b-in-law helped
me haul it off to the "recycle area"(dump), where we set it next to
the Freon fridges. Just hope the guy draining them had the proper
equipment. Weighed a ton.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 21:13:43 -0500, Ignoramus4694
wrote:

Google pays me several K per month.

There must be an interesting story there.....

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Google pays me several K per month.

There must be an interesting story there.....

I expect so. If Google would pay me a sizable amount, without giving me
ethics agida, I might reconsider dealing with them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Google pays me several K per month.

There must be an interesting story there.....

I expect so. If Google would pay me a sizable amount, without giving me
ethics agida, I might reconsider dealing with them.

I have a popular website. This is my hustle #1.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a popular website. This is my hustle #1.

Post a link and we will all go and visit your site right now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Ignoramus4694 wrote:

I love gmail and moved most of my correspondence there. Gmail, google
calendar, and google docs changed the way I live my life, literally.

I tried Gmail when it first came out, but stopped using it fairly quickly.
It seemed to need the latest browser to work right (not sure if this is
still true). Using a lot of different computers, some fairly old, this was
a major nuisance to me.

Chris

GMail *does* have a POP3 interface, Chris, that eliminates any need for a
browser. grin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

BERNIE THE BUNION wrote:

I have a popular website. This is my hustle #1.

Post a link and we will all go and visit your site right now.

WWW.algebra.com if I'm guessing correctly.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-12, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Ignoramus4694 wrote:

Great looking pump! What make is the electric motor?

Westinghouse is the motor brand.

Thanks. That was a seriously good deal for $5. I would have considered
it a fair deal at $100.

Does all the pipework hang from the top of the pump? That looks a bit
fragile, but maybe it's intended to be bolted to a wall.

I believe that the pipes go into a tank (which I decided not to take
with me). I will go back to that seller, and may change my mind about
the tank. The tank looked like nothing special.

Amazingly, both Westinghouse and the original maker of the pump (McKay
equipment), are still around.

This pump was used by an "old lady" until her house was demolished.

I would like to posit a hypothesis that I came up with yesterday,
which is that makers of equipment that is very long lasting,
themselves last longer. Some examples are Quincy compressor, McKay
equipment (maker of the pump), Champion compressor, etc.

Interesting hypothesis (I'm assuming that you're excluding consumable
goods). To turn it around another way, can anyone think of a maker of
crappy "durable" goods that has been in business a long time, and making
crappy goods all that time?

I cannot think of any first hand. I see a lot of progressions from
good to crappy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-12, Wes wrote:
BERNIE THE BUNION wrote:

I have a popular website. This is my hustle #1.

Post a link and we will all go and visit your site right now.

WWW.algebra.com if I'm guessing correctly.

Yep Wes, that's right. It has 60k lines of perl code alone. Plus a lot
of content that I created in the database.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus1414 wrote:

Yep Wes, that's right. It has 60k lines of perl code alone. Plus a lot
of content that I created in the database.

Very impressive.

You must have been the early bird who got the worm with that website
name.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RAM³ wrote:

GMail *does* have a POP3 interface, Chris, that eliminates any need for a
browser. grin

And IMAP too. But there are times when webmail is so much more
convenient. Like when you're using someone else's computer.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-12, BERNIE THE BUNION wrote:

Ignoramus1414 wrote:

Yep Wes, that's right. It has 60k lines of perl code alone. Plus a lot
of content that I created in the database.

Very impressive.

You must have been the early bird who got the worm with that website
name.

It was 1995. I got the name because it sounded nice and was
available. I wanted to have a cool domain name. I had no idea of its
potential.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 22:00:04 +0000, Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Ignoramus4694 wrote:

[...]

American auto makers?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

Interesting hypothesis (I'm assuming that you're excluding consumable
goods). To turn it around another way, can anyone think of a maker of
crappy "durable" goods that has been in business a long time, and making
crappy goods all that time?

Chris

American auto makers?
Gerry :-)}

Be careful there. There is a lot of Canadian content in crappy American cars. We have
the UAW, you have the CAW and they all are working for companies in distress.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Google pays me several K per month.

There must be an interesting story there.....

I expect so. If Google would pay me a sizable amount, without giving me
ethics agida, I might reconsider dealing with them.

Id do it for $500 a month

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:50:51 -0500, Ignoramus1414

wrote:

Google pays me several K per month.

There must be an interesting story there.....

I expect so. If Google would pay me a sizable amount, without giving me
ethics agida, I might reconsider dealing with them.

I have a popular website. This is my hustle #1.

Care to provide a link?

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Google pays me several K per month.

There must be an interesting story there.....

I expect so. If Google would pay me a sizable amount, without giving me
ethics agida, I might reconsider dealing with them.

I have a popular website. This is my hustle #1.

Care to provide a link?

Sorry.

http://www.algebra.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 19:58:53 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Gerald Miller wrote:

Interesting hypothesis (I'm assuming that you're excluding consumable
goods). To turn it around another way, can anyone think of a maker of
crappy "durable" goods that has been in business a long time, and making
crappy goods all that time?

Chris

American auto makers?
Gerry :-)}

Be careful there. There is a lot of Canadian content in crappy American cars. We have
the UAW, you have the CAW and they all are working for companies in distress.

Wes

I liked the Ford Ranger pick-um-up I saw the other day plastered with
CAW issued stickers like "out of a job yet - keep buying foreign" "buy
Canadian - keep the jobs in Canada" "CAW - working for you" ad
nauseam! Where do rangers come from??? Hint - they come by sea!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 16:59:13 -0500, Ignoramus1414

On 2010-04-12, Wes wrote:
BERNIE THE BUNION wrote:

I have a popular website. This is my hustle #1.

Post a link and we will all go and visit your site right now.

WWW.algebra.com if I'm guessing correctly.

Yep Wes, that's right. It has 60k lines of perl code alone. Plus a lot
of content that I created in the database.

Very very nice!!

Bravo!!

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

Interesting hypothesis (I'm assuming that you're excluding consumable
goods). To turn it around another way, can anyone think of a maker of
crappy "durable" goods that has been in business a long time, and making
crappy goods all that time?

Chris

American auto makers?

Seriously, what's a reasonably balanced view of American cars? I mean,
it's a large market, so there's probably a lot of variety, but surely
they can't all be crap? Otherwise you'd be dumb to buy them, right? I
remember taking a fairly old American taxi in Niagara Falls (a few years
ago now), probably an '80s Ford Crown Victoria, and thinking it was a
sweet ride.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy wrote:

Seriously, what's a reasonably balanced view of American cars? I mean,
it's a large market, so there's probably a lot of variety, but surely
they can't all be crap? Otherwise you'd be dumb to buy them, right? I
remember taking a fairly old American taxi in Niagara Falls (a few years
ago now), probably an '80s Ford Crown Victoria, and thinking it was a
sweet ride.

Think I was mistaken. It was possibly a Mercury Grand Marquis I rode in.
Definitely American, defintely '80s, and definitely not a Town Car.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 17:19:15 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

wrote:

Google pays me several K per month.

There must be an interesting story there.....

I expect so. If Google would pay me a sizable amount, without giving me
ethics agida, I might reconsider dealing with them.

Id do it for $500 a month

Me, too. It'd pay the bills.

--
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace
will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 02:22:39 +0000, Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Gerald Miller wrote:

Interesting hypothesis (I'm assuming that you're excluding consumable
goods). To turn it around another way, can anyone think of a maker of
crappy "durable" goods that has been in business a long time, and making
crappy goods all that time?

Chris

American auto makers?

Seriously, what's a reasonably balanced view of American cars? I mean,
it's a large market, so there's probably a lot of variety, but surely
they can't all be crap? Otherwise you'd be dumb to buy them, right? I
remember taking a fairly old American taxi in Niagara Falls (a few years
ago now), probably an '80s Ford Crown Victoria, and thinking it was a
sweet ride.

Chris

Made about 15 miles from here - just hope that the assemblers were not
suffering DT's or over indulgence in whatever recreational medication
they were on at the time that vehicle was passing through. Latest from
that front is that police forces in Texas can buy that Crown Victoria
Police Interceptor for about 70% of what the local commission has to
pay. Oh yeah, and they are closing that plant and discontinuing that
model after next years production.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada