Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT computer/video question OT

I'm tryin' to assemble diverse pieces into a sorta-kinda media center .
One of those pieces is a computer , Intel D865PERL MoBo with ATI 9600 series
video card . The video looks great on a VGA monitor but ain't so great on my
TeeVee . I'm hooked up with an s-video cable straight off the card into the
TeeVee , and the picture is B&W for all practical purposes . Drivers and all
are up-to-date .
I'm wondering if it's just a cheap cable , it's one my son got with
another device . Got an adapter (s-vid male/rca female) that I'll try since
I was too late to cancel the order (didn't know son had cables ...) .
Another option is the DVR I hooked up yesterday . It has an ethernet port
and recognized my network . Only problem is that the menu didn't show the
network options it's supposed to have when hooked to a network . I'd really
rather stream from my in-house servers thru the DVR , cuz that's one less
device in my living room . Doing it that way will also let me stream stuff
like netflix onto my TeeVee ...
--
Snag
And this all started

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

I'm tryin' to assemble diverse pieces into a sorta-kinda media center .
One of those pieces is a computer , Intel D865PERL MoBo with ATI 9600 series
video card . The video looks great on a VGA monitor but ain't so great on my
TeeVee . I'm hooked up with an s-video cable straight off the card into the
TeeVee , and the picture is B&W for all practical purposes . Drivers and all
are up-to-date .

Possibly.

I'm wondering if it's just a cheap cable , it's one my son got with
another device . Got an adapter (s-vid male/rca female) that I'll try since
I was too late to cancel the order (didn't know son had cables ...) .

It may be wired for a different application.

Another option is the DVR I hooked up yesterday . It has an ethernet port
and recognized my network . Only problem is that the menu didn't show the
network options it's supposed to have when hooked to a network . I'd really
rather stream from my in-house servers thru the DVR , cuz that's one less
device in my living room . Doing it that way will also let me stream stuff
like netflix onto my TeeVee ...

The DVR probably needs an IP address assigned for it to work with
your network.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

http://www.flickr.com/photos/materrell/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
I'm tryin' to assemble diverse pieces into a sorta-kinda media center .
One of those pieces is a computer , Intel D865PERL MoBo with ATI 9600
series
video card . The video looks great on a VGA monitor but ain't so great on
my
TeeVee . I'm hooked up with an s-video cable straight off the card into
the
TeeVee , and the picture is B&W for all practical purposes . Drivers and
all
are up-to-date .

snip

you are probably running at a much higher resolution than the TV's native
resolution - the loss of color suggests inadequate video bandwidth so a
cable could contribute there, but in general a TV's resolution is
dramatically lower than most computer monitors, and the video bandwidth is
also dramatically lower -

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 8, 12:51*pm, "Snag" wrote:
[...]

Is the aforementioned TeeVee analog or digital?

If digital, try HDMI / DVI. I got a poor picture using s-video from an
ATI 9250 card to a Visio HDTV/monitor.

Else If analog, give up.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Snag wrote:

I'm tryin' to assemble diverse pieces into a sorta-kinda media
center . One of those pieces is a computer , Intel D865PERL MoBo
with ATI 9600 series video card . The video looks great on a VGA
monitor but ain't so great on my TeeVee . I'm hooked up with an
s-video cable straight off the card into the TeeVee , and the
picture is B&W for all practical purposes . Drivers and all are
up-to-date .

Possibly.

I'm wondering if it's just a cheap cable , it's one my son got with
another device . Got an adapter (s-vid male/rca female) that I'll
try since I was too late to cancel the order (didn't know son had
cables ...) .

It may be wired for a different application.

The video card (ATI Radeon 9600/9550/1050X series) is intended for just
this type of application . That's where I'm plugged .

Another option is the DVR I hooked up yesterday . It has an
ethernet port and recognized my network . Only problem is that the
menu didn't show the network options it's supposed to have when
hooked to a network . I'd really rather stream from my in-house
servers thru the DVR , cuz that's one less device in my living room
. Doing it that way will also let me stream stuff like netflix onto
my TeeVee ...

The DVR probably needs an IP address assigned for it to work with
your network.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

http://www.flickr.com/photos/materrell/

It's set to auto-detect , the router assigned an IP address (192.168.1.104)
and had all the proper entries for subnet mask and all that , but the
network options don't come up when I press the "menu" key .

--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Noble wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
I'm tryin' to assemble diverse pieces into a sorta-kinda media
center . One of those pieces is a computer , Intel D865PERL MoBo
with ATI 9600 series
video card . The video looks great on a VGA monitor but ain't so
great on my
TeeVee . I'm hooked up with an s-video cable straight off the card
into the
TeeVee , and the picture is B&W for all practical purposes . Drivers
and all
are up-to-date .

snip

you are probably running at a much higher resolution than the TV's
native resolution - the loss of color suggests inadequate video
bandwidth so a cable could contribute there, but in general a TV's
resolution is dramatically lower than most computer monitors, and the
video bandwidth is also dramatically lower -

Hmm , one thing I saw in properties (I think , I'm a bit confused right
now) that referred to a refresh rate of 25 Hz ... and that was the only
selection . Might this be part of the problem ?

--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Apr 8, 12:51 pm, "Snag" wrote:
[...]

Hmm , this is an older analog CRT TeeVee , we still be in the stone age in
that respect . In fact , the only digital/LCD displays we have are our
computers ...

--
Snag
Got one helluva

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
Bill Noble wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
[...]

analog TV refreshes at 30 hz so 25 might be right, or 60 hz interlaced.
Resolution is less than VGA though, closer to EGA - video bandwidth is way
too low for even a 640X480 picture - unless you really love the TV, you
would be better served using a computer monitor for the TV display and
driving it with a TV card when you want to watch a program from a broadcast
station - some computer monitors have multiple inputs - analog, digital and
also S video or other VCR type output - for some years I used an old color
monitor with a VCR for a TV for the kids - much better picture than a TV and
it was free - and it worked with their computer too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Noble wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
Bill Noble wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
[...]

Ya know , it's a good thing I've got less than ten bucks and a couple of
hours on this project . I think I'm going to concentrate on using the DRV to
access that media - just gotta figure out why it doesn't wanna "see" the
rest of my network .

--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Snag wrote:

I'm tryin' to assemble diverse pieces into a sorta-kinda media
center . One of those pieces is a computer , Intel D865PERL MoBo
with ATI 9600 series video card . The video looks great on a VGA
monitor but ain't so great on my TeeVee . I'm hooked up with an
s-video cable straight off the card into the TeeVee , and the
picture is B&W for all practical purposes . Drivers and all are
up-to-date .

Possibly.

I'm wondering if it's just a cheap cable , it's one my son got with
another device . Got an adapter (s-vid male/rca female) that I'll
try since I was too late to cancel the order (didn't know son had
cables ...) .

It may be wired for a different application.

The video card (ATI Radeon 9600/9550/1050X series) is intended for just
this type of application . That's where I'm plugged .

I was talking about the cable, not the card.

Another option is the DVR I hooked up yesterday . It has an
ethernet port and recognized my network . Only problem is that the
menu didn't show the network options it's supposed to have when
hooked to a network . I'd really rather stream from my in-house
servers thru the DVR , cuz that's one less device in my living room
. Doing it that way will also let me stream stuff like netflix onto
my TeeVee ...

The DVR probably needs an IP address assigned for it to work with
your network.

It's set to auto-detect , the router assigned an IP address (192.168.1.104)
and had all the proper entries for subnet mask and all that , but the
network options don't come up when I press the "menu" key .

That doesn't mean that the DVR can access it. All it means is that the
router SEES something connected to 192.168.1.104.

There are a lot of complaints about this problem with DVR and BlueRay
players. Check the menus in the DVR and make sure its configured for a
network, including the network name.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

http://www.flickr.com/photos/materrell/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Noble wrote:

"Snag" wrote in message
[...]

If it is a TV output card with S-Video output it will only run at
NTSC standard 30 Hz vertical and 15,734.3434 Hz Horizontal. Anything
else would either shut the TV down, or destroy the sweep circuits.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

http://www.flickr.com/photos/materrell/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote...

Hmm , one thing I saw in properties (I think , I'm a bit confused right
now) that referred to a refresh rate of 25 Hz ... and that was the only
selection . Might this be part of the problem ?

Hi Snag,

The 25Hz refresh suggests that it may be a European / African / Arabic /
Oceanian / Soviet / Asian spec' card, or configured in software as such -
unlike the USA and Canada (and perhaps Pacific rim, e.g. Phillipines?) most
of the world uses 625-line 50Hz interlaced [1] analogue video (as opposed to
525-line 60Hz interlaced) which gives 25 full frames per second - the
luminance (black and white brightness) signal's pretty much compatible and
the TV's scan circuitry can (usually) synchronise to it, but the chrominance
(colour information) is in PAL (Phase Alternate Line) format rather than
NTSC (Never Twice the Same Colour ) - the sub-carrier frequency's
different so the TV probably can't lock onto it (although a lot of Euro TVs
can receive NTSC, additional circuitry being fitted for it). Check whether
the video card setup software has an option for NTSC Vs PAL - if so,
selecting NTSC will probably bring up the right options for the S-VHS
connector to drive a USAnian NTSC TV.

Hope that helps,

Dave H.
--
(The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

"Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men" -
Douglas Bader

[1] that is, each of the 50Hz half-frames does every other line, first
1,3,5,7...625 then 2,4,6,8...624, the two sets repeated 25 times a second,
alias 25Hz refresh... this was done to reduce the bandwidth required to
generate a full picture while exploiting persistence of vision.
European AC power is at 50Hz rather than the USA's 60Hz, for historic
reasons, which is why the analogue TV refresh rates were chosen to match!

I suspect you can now guess one field of engineering I've worked in!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave H. wrote:
"Snag" wrote...

[...]

Easy to guess ... OK , I've played with the refresh rate , it was set to
25Hz interlaced , which is where I presume it needs to be for an older (8-10
yrs ?) analog CRT television . Nothing I do seems to have any effect on the
picture I get on the tv , monitor I have hooked up looks just fine - vibrant
color , in focus , great detail for a small monitir .
I'm beginning to think this tv is just too old to interface with a
computer without a converter box of some kind between the two . That leaves
me with a couple of choices , neither of which is exactly cheap - new
flatscreen tv or buy a "media box" as suggested by a friend on another forum
.. Neither is likely , rifgt now because we are just gettin' by since I got
laid off .
The one other thing I can do is to try the adapter I ordered the other day
(s-vhs to RCA) when it arrives . If that doesn't work I have one option left
, and that is to figger out why the DVR recognizes a connection to my
network but won't give me the menu items to actually use that connection .
--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" --
[...]

let's try this again - IT WONT WORK - the video bandwidth is inadequate.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Noble wrote:
" --
[...]

Well , it might not work straight into the TV ... but I finally got the DVR
to connect to my network , and I can now play my stuff thru it .
I'm assuming the reason the direct connection won't work is because of the
age/type of my TV ? Though it really doesn't matter now , since I've
achieved my goal .
--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Noble wrote:

let's try this again - IT WONT WORK - the video bandwidth is inadequate.

You're right. it won't work, if you don't know what the hell you're
doing. The card produces EITHER NTSC OR SVGA, but it doesn't try to run
a TV at the SVGA resolution. I've used video cards with NTSC output for
over 10 years.

That 25 Hz refresh rate is a specification for the SVGA port, not the
S-VHS port. The age of the TV has nothing to do with it. It is either
a cabling problem, or a defective video card.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

http://www.flickr.com/photos/materrell/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Bill Noble wrote:

let's try this again - IT WONT WORK - the video bandwidth is
inadequate.

You're right. it won't work, if you don't know what the hell you're
doing. The card produces EITHER NTSC OR SVGA, but it doesn't try to
run a TV at the SVGA resolution. I've used video cards with NTSC
output for over 10 years.

That 25 Hz refresh rate is a specification for the SVGA port, not
the S-VHS port. The age of the TV has nothing to do with it. It is
either a cabling problem, or a defective video card.

Weeelllll , let's just say I'm in learning mode . The video card is an ATI
Radeon 9600/9550/X1050 series . I just pulled up the specs and this
statement is copied from there "Integrated TV Output support up to 1024x768
resolution ." I also see that this card supports ATI Catalyst , which I
don't have on that comp . Download time ...
--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just downloaded and installed ATI Catalyst Control Center . I now have
A COLOR PICTURE ON MY ****IN" TEEVEE !!!

Helps to have the proper software for the video card .
Y'al have all been most helpful , and I appreciate everyones contributions
to my problems .
THANKS !!!

--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

I just downloaded and installed ATI Catalyst Control Center . I now have
A COLOR PICTURE ON MY ****IN" TEEVEE !!!

Helps to have the proper software for the video card .
Y'al have all been most helpful , and I appreciate everyones contributions
to my problems .
THANKS !!!

You're welcome, but don't spend all you time watching TV when there
is metal waiting to be made into something useful!

I lucked out a couple years ago when a local computer store closed.
The owner gave me a couple truckloads of old computers, parts and a case
of driver disks. About a dozen were ATI, and they fixed a lot of
problems for me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Snag wrote:

I just downloaded and installed ATI Catalyst Control Center . I
now have A COLOR PICTURE ON MY ****IN" TEEVEE !!!

Helps to have the proper software for the video card .
Y'al have all been most helpful , and I appreciate everyones
contributions to my problems .
THANKS !!!

You're welcome, but don't spend all you time watching TV when there
is metal waiting to be made into something useful!

I lucked out a couple years ago when a local computer store closed.
The owner gave me a couple truckloads of old computers, parts and a
case of driver disks. About a dozen were ATI, and they fixed a lot of
problems for me.

--
Lead free solder is Belgium's version of 'Hold my beer and watch
this!'

The whole thing started because my wife wanted to see The Blind Side ...
and I didn't want to pay the outrageous prices they charge at the theaters .
It's out on DVD now , but I'm still in "frugal mode" , and the whole Idea
when I got this comp (part of a trade deal) was to use it as part of my
"entertainment suite" .
Yesterday morning we watched that movie ...

--
Snag
And last night I went

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

The whole thing started because my wife wanted to see The Blind Side ...
and I didn't want to pay the outrageous prices they charge at the theaters .
It's out on DVD now , but I'm still in "frugal mode" , and the whole Idea
when I got this comp (part of a trade deal) was to use it as part of my
"entertainment suite" .
Yesterday morning we watched that movie ...

And crossed another item off her 'list'.