Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A slo-mo crash, with little drama and no damage

I was making an arbor for a Norton aluminum-oxide 4" cup grinding wheel from
mild steel using the Clausing 5914 Lathe, and had a minor misadventure.

The stock is a 2.5" diameter 12L14 alloy bar held in the 3-jaw chuck. The part
I was working on is 1.000" diameter by 2" long, sticking out to the right where
the 2.5" diameter bar has been turned down. There must have been two pounds of
chips in the pan by then.

Anyway, I'm making a near final pass under relatively slow power feed using a
BXA-16N toolholder, and the flat full face of the carbide insert comes up
against the machined end face of the bar. Instead of machining the face a
little flatter, the whole BXA tool post rotates on the compound, causing the bit
on the BXA-16N to dig a bit deeper. There were no groans or loud noises, but
still this is not a good idea.

Anyway, I realized what was going on, and managed to stop the show before
anything bad happened, leaving only an undercut as evidence.

Another lesson on the way to becoming a machinist.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/6/2010 7:47 PM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
[...]

I put a piece of ordinary notebook paper under my tool post to provide a
bit of friction. Seems to work.

cheers
T.Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"T.Alan Kraus" wrote:

[...]

It's a thought. I've heard it suggested before, but don't know how well the
paper will stand up when soaked with soluble-oil coolant.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
"T.Alan Kraus" wrote:

[...]

How about a piece of fine grit carborundum paper? Something used for wet
sanding..

-bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 22:47:05 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:
snip
Instead of machining the face a
little flatter, the whole BXA tool post rotates on the compound, causing the bit
on the BXA-16N to dig a bit deeper.

snip
=======
Old time machinists books advises (when possible) setting up a
tool for a lathe cut, that it should be arranged such that if
anything shifts the tool swings out of/away from the cut rather
than into the cut.

Lindsay has many reprints of the older texts that are quite
helpful for the home/hobby machinist.
A good place to start for an overview is
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks/milne/index.html
and any of these will be helpful
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks/milne/index.html

and see my web page
http://mcduffee-associates.us/machin...ning_books.htm

Better luck on the next project, and its a mistake only if you
didn't learn anything...

Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 12:15:02 -0700, Bill Martin
wrote:

Joe Gwinn
I put a piece of ordinary notebook paper under my tool post to provide a
bit of friction. Seems to work.

It's a thought. I've heard it suggested before, but don't know how well the
paper will stand up when soaked with soluble-oil coolant.

Joe Gwinn

How about a piece of fine grit carborundum paper? Something used for wet
sanding..

-bill

I use a bit of yellow legal pad paper on ALL of my lathes. Works very
well with no damage to anything.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn on Wed, 07 Apr 2010 09:06:18 -0400
In article ,
"T.Alan Kraus" wrote:

[...]

Paper will stand up well enough. And it is cheap to replace,
while not causing a lot of other problems.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
F. George McDuffee wrote:

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 22:47:05 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:
snip
Instead of machining the face a
little flatter, the whole BXA tool post rotates on the compound, causing the
bit
on the BXA-16N to dig a bit deeper.

snip
=======
Old time machinists books advises (when possible) setting up a
tool for a lathe cut, that it should be arranged such that if
anything shifts the tool swings out of/away from the cut rather
than into the cut.

To the extent practical, for sure. But the setup is an Aloris BXA toolpost with
a BXA-16N toolholder held in the left dovetail (and thus perpendicular to the
bedway), cutting up close to the chuck, and the carriage can get only so close
without a collision. There is an irreducible torque arm here.

Another thing to note is that I didn't appear to have the problem when feeding
by hand. The power feed was slow, and so the carbide insert didn't cut when
presented the full face - the rise in force was too slow, so it just shoved the
toolpost gradually aside. If it had dug in and started cutting, the forces and
thus torque on the toolpost would have been lower.

It appears that the problem is common, as is the solution - a piece of paper
under the toolpost, which I will try.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
"T.Alan Kraus" wrote:

[...]

I use notebook paper for various clamps and fixtures on my mill. It works
great. While I do not soak it down continuously at this time it does get
quite soaked with oil based lubricant. I have not had it fail during a job
or run of jobs where I do not remove the clamp or fixture. Some of the
things I use routinely I have precut several pieces and have them stacked up
in the cabinet next to my mill.

NY Prius crash Ed Pawlowski Home Repair 9 March 24th 10 04:35 AM
Catfish crash -ED Woodworking 0 June 26th 06 10:16 PM
C-5 crash...Fixable? Tom Gardner Metalworking 43 April 6th 06 10:49 PM
Sony KP-46V15 Convergence Fuse Grief & Drama Jeff Electronics Repair 3 August 27th 04 02:54 PM