Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default A slo-mo crash, with little drama and no damage

In article ,
"T.Alan Kraus" wrote:

On 4/6/2010 7:47 PM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I was making an arbor for a Norton aluminum-oxide 4" cup grinding wheel
from
mild steel using the Clausing 5914 Lathe, and had a minor misadventure.

The stock is a 2.5" diameter 12L14 alloy bar held in the 3-jaw chuck. The
part
I was working on is 1.000" diameter by 2" long, sticking out to the right
where
the 2.5" diameter bar has been turned down. There must have been two
pounds of
chips in the pan by then.

Anyway, I'm making a near final pass under relatively slow power feed using
BXA-16N toolholder, and the flat full face of the carbide insert comes up
against the machined end face of the bar. Instead of machining the face a
little flatter, the whole BXA tool post rotates on the compound, causing
the bit
on the BXA-16N to dig a bit deeper. There were no groans or loud noises,
but
still this is not a good idea.

Anyway, I realized what was going on, and managed to stop the show before
anything bad happened, leaving only an undercut as evidence.

Another lesson on the way to becoming a machinist.

Joe Gwinn

I put a piece of ordinary notebook paper under my tool post to provide a
bit of friction. Seems to work.

It's a thought. I've heard it suggested before, but don't know how well the
paper will stand up when soaked with soluble-oil coolant.

Joe Gwinn