Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Its alive!!! 1943 Hobart gasoline welder...update

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 14:55:27 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/HobartGasWelder#

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...15299718135618
http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...15280034888082

Nada.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...15264015202514

Ah, the pics! What's with the bubblegum in pic 5? Are your arms all
UVed tonight? I saw bare armed welding in there. tsk tsk tsk
Hey! What's that _green_ stuff in front of your house? It wasn't
there in July.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...15330663814994
http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...15326046218002

Zero pics, dude.

Now Ive got to get a good battery, clean up all the wiring
(carefully..its 70 yrs old), repaint etc etc...G

I LIKE this welder. I burned probably a pound of rod today farting
around, overhead, vertical up, down, sideways etc etc....marvelous what
this machine can do. Its got a far cleaner and easier arc to work with
than any of my other stick welders, Ranger 9, ArcoDialarc 250 etc etc.

Muahahahaha!!!

Congrats.

Now if I ever get the Miller 55G back from the guy who is slowly
rebuilding it.....

You'll what, use it or sell it?

--
May those who love us, love us;
And may those that don't love us,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 21:11:07 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 14:55:27 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/HobartGasWelder#

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...15299718135618
http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...15280034888082

Nada.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...15264015202514

Ah, the pics! What's with the bubblegum in pic 5? Are your arms all
UVed tonight? I saw bare armed welding in there. tsk tsk tsk
Hey! What's that _green_ stuff in front of your house? It wasn't
there in July.

Thats rather odd. I had two sections with the Hobart welder pics. One
of them seems to have flown the coop.

As for the green stuff...thats what we have in winter time.. In summer
time..it all dies and stays brown until late fall. Of course..that
105-115F tends to have something to do with it. One can..can run
sprinklers at night..but the soil here is poor..tends towards sandy clay
here in the high desert....so I irrigate the grapes, the trees and let
the spring grass die out in the cactus gardens.

In the picture from the back of the welder..one can see my old black
Mazda/Ranger and one of the Wells-Cargo containers in my side lot..and
Im going to have to attack it with the weed wacker this weekend..its
grown about 2' tall and in just a couple months..it will be 24" of
FLAMMABLE dead and dried grass.. The orange boat is my 85 AMF Force 5
sail boat. Ive got a Hobie 16 tucked away in the side yard and the 22'
Ensenada is out at a friends ranch.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...15330663814994
http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...15326046218002

Zero pics, dude.

Now Ive got to get a good battery, clean up all the wiring
(carefully..its 70 yrs old), repaint etc etc...G

I LIKE this welder. I burned probably a pound of rod today farting
around, overhead, vertical up, down, sideways etc etc....marvelous what
this machine can do. Its got a far cleaner and easier arc to work with
than any of my other stick welders, Ranger 9, ArcoDialarc 250 etc etc.

Muahahahaha!!!

Congrats.

Now if I ever get the Miller 55G back from the guy who is slowly
rebuilding it.....

You'll what, use it or sell it?

I dont know yet. Ive got 3 gasoline powered welders now...the Miller is
being rebuilt..but it and the Ranger 9 are MIG compatable...though Ive
got a Cobra "Brute" wire feeder I could stick on any of the three. Water
cooled mig feederr..with a 400 amp torch...G Been using it for
Aluminum on one of the old Miller35s Ive got in the welding shop.

The old Hobart so far has cost me $69. $60 for a pair of 16" used
tires, mounted and $9 for gasoline...oh...and $1.50 for the car wash

Hell..I could donate it to the oil museum
http://www.westkern-oilmuseum.org/

And visit it every day..pull it in the Oildorado parades this year with
one of the Dart or White trucks they have restoredG

Though to be fair..this welder was said to have come off a Liberty ship
and was made before 1945 according to Hobart

http://lariverrailroads.com/oil_trucks.html

Gota love it!

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 01:21:08 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

wrote:

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 14:55:27 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/HobartGasWelder#

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...15299718135618
http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...15280034888082

Nada.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...15264015202514

Ah, the pics! What's with the bubblegum in pic 5? Are your arms all
UVed tonight? I saw bare armed welding in there. tsk tsk tsk
Hey! What's that _green_ stuff in front of your house? It wasn't
there in July.

Thats rather odd. I had two sections with the Hobart welder pics. One
of them seems to have flown the coop.

I thought that maybe you'd just futzed the link.

As for the green stuff...thats what we have in winter time.. In summer
time..it all dies and stays brown until late fall. Of course..that
105-115F tends to have something to do with it. One can..can run
sprinklers at night..but the soil here is poor..tends towards sandy clay
here in the high desert....so I irrigate the grapes, the trees and let
the spring grass die out in the cactus gardens.

Figgered as much.

In the picture from the back of the welder..one can see my old black
Mazda/Ranger and one of the Wells-Cargo containers in my side lot..and
Im going to have to attack it with the weed wacker this weekend..its
grown about 2' tall and in just a couple months..it will be 24" of
FLAMMABLE dead and dried grass..

Yeah, you definitely don't want that.

The orange boat is my 85 AMF Force 5
sail boat. Ive got a Hobie 16 tucked away in the side yard and the 22'
Ensenada is out at a friends ranch.

When's the last time you went sailing in one?

You'll what, use it or sell it?

I dont know yet. Ive got 3 gasoline powered welders now...the Miller is
being rebuilt..but it and the Ranger 9 are MIG compatable...though Ive
got a Cobra "Brute" wire feeder I could stick on any of the three. Water
cooled mig feederr..with a 400 amp torch...G Been using it for
Aluminum on one of the old Miller35s Ive got in the welding shop.

Braggart.

The old Hobart so far has cost me $69. $60 for a pair of 16" used
tires, mounted and $9 for gasoline...oh...and $1.50 for the car wash

Hell..I could donate it to the oil museum
http://www.westkern-oilmuseum.org/

And visit it every day..pull it in the Oildorado parades this year with
one of the Dart or White trucks they have restoredG

Though to be fair..this welder was said to have come off a Liberty ship
and was made before 1945 according to Hobart

http://lariverrailroads.com/oil_trucks.html

Gota love it!

Cool.

--
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent,
but the one most responsive to change.