Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hobart Gasoline Welder

On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 02:37:19 +0000, ElusiveStranger
wrote:

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 17:35:52 -0800, Gunner Asch wrote:

Anyone know anything about this beasty?

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...asolineWelder#

I brought it home last night. Previous owner claimed it ran the last
time they welded with it..about 12 yrs ago. Look at the wheels....blink
blink..Ive never seen a wheel with no hole in the middle before. I drug
it from Bakersfield..about 45 miles at 55-60 mph and the bearings didnt
get warm..and I know it had sat parked for at least 8 yrs since they
pulled it down from the ranch.

Owner claimed it had come off a Liberty Ship vintage WW2...shrug

Anyone have any ideas?

Nope, sorry Gunner.

But could you do me a real biggie and run a couppla tests for the post down
below please?

As I said I've been lurking and occasionally posting on here.

I know all about your wheel incident & love your posts.

I didn't see his 5-March post on RCM.

My late FIL and very good friend had a gas-engine trailer-mounted
Hobart, said it was the sweetest welder he'd ever used. He burned a
lot of 7018 with that machine.

I coulda had it for the asking when he died but I've no place to keep
it or use it and someone who did was very glad to have it. There was
some *very* heavy stuff in the basement, so the deal was they got that
Hobart for a very good price providing they also take a welding table
that easily weighed 500 lb. No prob, they showed up with some big
friends and it was all gone before sundown. Good deal for everyone.

Hell, I'm learning from reading on here

(posted from sejw)