Ignoramus5411

Default UPDATE $9.99 Hobart CyberTig II welder

I took it down from my pickup truck.

The threaded collar on the amphenol connector for remote control was
all bent and I had to cut it with a chop saw. It would not thread
on. So, now all I can do with this control is "push it on".

I had to changeover the voltage from 460V to 230V. First I forgot to
change the transformer, but eventually I figured it out. The welder
powers up and acts intelligently in both manual mode and programmed
mode. It also responds to the remote.

Now the welder powers up. The fan (110V motor) starts spinning. For
some reason, it is relatively noisy and vibrates more than I would
like. I have much quieter fans at home that move a lot more air per
second. Is that normal?

It responds to controls and supplies DC voltage to welding
terminals. (checked with a multimeter)

I have not tried any welding today, and may not try that for a few
days.

I do not have any tig equipment such as torches, electrodes, water
cooler, gas cylinders, yada yada. At first, I want to mess around with
stick a bit. I will drive to HF soon to get some stick welding stuff.

I also ordered some 2/0 leads from ebay (against advice of Wayne to
buy smaller leads, but 2/0 were only marginally more expensive than 1
gauge leads).

Wayne Cook

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 04:00:36 GMT, Ignoramus5411
wrote:

I took it down from my pickup truck.

The threaded collar on the amphenol connector for remote control was
all bent and I had to cut it with a chop saw. It would not thread
on. So, now all I can do with this control is "push it on".

As long as it stays it'll be ok. I believe you can get those rings
separate. In fact with all of your military surplus there's likely to
be something you've got with one of those rings on them. The connector
just screws together in about 3 places and the rings are replaceable.

I had to changeover the voltage from 460V to 230V. First I forgot to
change the transformer, but eventually I figured it out. The welder
powers up and acts intelligently in both manual mode and programmed
mode. It also responds to the remote.

Good.

Now the welder powers up. The fan (110V motor) starts spinning. For
some reason, it is relatively noisy and vibrates more than I would
like. I have much quieter fans at home that move a lot more air per
second. Is that normal?

Most welder fans are on the noisy side. But you may have bearings
going out in the motor and or something (like a dirt dobbers nest) on
the fan causing extra noise.

I do not have any tig equipment such as torches, electrodes, water
cooler, gas cylinders, yada yada. At first, I want to mess around with
stick a bit. I will drive to HF soon to get some stick welding stuff.

I also ordered some 2/0 leads from ebay (against advice of Wayne to
buy smaller leads, but 2/0 were only marginally more expensive than 1
gauge leads).

All the better. I was just trying to save you some money. With only
200 amps available 2/0 is definite overkill. The only drawback is that
if you don't put a whip on your stinger it will be heavy and hard to
handle from the weight of the 2/0 lead. I've got a 1/0 whip on my 500
amp welder just because of the weight of the 2/0. The whip on my 300
amp Cybertig is only #2 making it much easier to maneuver than the one
on my bigger welder.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm
Gunner

wrote:

[...]

I do the same as Wayne. The 1/0 whip on the end..10' in my case,
makes things much easier.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner