Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Polishing nonwoven wheel for buffers

I have a polishing nonvowen wheel on my grinder, that is quite amazing
in its ability to polish metal objects. It is some sort of a nonwoven,
maybe nylon wheel. It is almost completely worn, however, and has no
markings left. Does anyone know what sorts of wheels can be purchased
as a replacement? Maybe 3M EXL wheels, as it seems to be.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus25445 wrote:
I have a polishing nonvowen wheel on my grinder, that is quite amazing
in its ability to polish metal objects. It is some sort of a nonwoven,
maybe nylon wheel. It is almost completely worn, however, and has no
markings left. Does anyone know what sorts of wheels can be purchased
as a replacement? Maybe 3M EXL wheels, as it seems to be.

Scotchbrite? gray?

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-17, Steve Walker wrote:
Ignoramus25445 wrote:
I have a polishing nonvowen wheel on my grinder, that is quite amazing
in its ability to polish metal objects. It is some sort of a nonwoven,
maybe nylon wheel. It is almost completely worn, however, and has no
markings left. Does anyone know what sorts of wheels can be purchased
as a replacement? Maybe 3M EXL wheels, as it seems to be.

Scotchbrite? gray?

Yes, I think that they should be grey scotchbrite wheels, too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 20:33:06 -0500, Ignoramus25445
wrote:

I have a polishing nonvowen wheel on my grinder, that is quite amazing
in its ability to polish metal objects. It is some sort of a nonwoven,
maybe nylon wheel. It is almost completely worn, however, and has no
markings left. Does anyone know what sorts of wheels can be purchased
as a replacement? Maybe 3M EXL wheels, as it seems to be.

Scotchbrite 7S Fine Light Deburring wheel is good for general purpose
polishing. 8S and 9S are OK, too, just a bit harder.

McMaster p/n 46575A73 is probably a 7S, which would make the next two
in the catalog 8S and 9S.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus25445" wrote in message
I have a polishing nonvowen wheel on my grinder, that is quite amazing
in its ability to polish metal objects. It is some sort of a nonwoven,
maybe nylon wheel. It is almost completely worn, however, and has no
markings left. Does anyone know what sorts of wheels can be purchased
as a replacement? Maybe 3M EXL wheels, as it seems to be.

I think you want a "Hard Felt Wheel", a jewelry supply or about $20 on EBay.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-17, Buerste wrote:

"Ignoramus25445" wrote in message
I have a polishing nonvowen wheel on my grinder, that is quite amazing
in its ability to polish metal objects. It is some sort of a nonwoven,
maybe nylon wheel. It is almost completely worn, however, and has no
markings left. Does anyone know what sorts of wheels can be purchased
as a replacement? Maybe 3M EXL wheels, as it seems to be.

I think you want a "Hard Felt Wheel", a jewelry supply or about $20 on EBay.

What I want, is the exact same wheel I have now, except new and not
completely worn like mine. The wheel works almost like a miracle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-17, Buerste wrote:
"Ignoramus25445" wrote in message
I have a polishing nonvowen wheel on my grinder, that is quite amazing
in its ability to polish metal objects. It is some sort of a nonwoven,
maybe nylon wheel. It is almost completely worn, however, and has no
markings left. Does anyone know what sorts of wheels can be purchased
as a replacement? Maybe 3M EXL wheels, as it seems to be.

I think you want a "Hard Felt Wheel", a jewelry supply or about $20 on EBay.

What I want, is the exact same wheel I have now, except new and not
completely worn like mine. The wheel works almost like a miracle.

I use them. There great
there usually 6in dia 1in thick with a 1in hole .
then an arbour adapter to fit your grinder spindle.
there made of compressed scotchbrite by 3M which is a 3M product.
there are several grades of hardness , the medium soft works better,
also the grit size will be different as well as the grit type.
The cheaper types use aluminium oxide the best cutting is the silicon
carbide fine.
you need to get in touch with or look up 3m products to get vthe right
one thats the same as you have.
good luck.
Ted Frater
Dorset UK.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 16, 9:33*pm, Ignoramus25445 ignoramus25...@NOSPAM.
25445.invalid wrote:
I have a polishing nonvowen wheel on my grinder, that is quite amazing
in its ability to polish metal objects. It is some sort of a nonwoven,
maybe nylon wheel. It is almost completely worn, however, and has no
markings left. Does anyone know what sorts of wheels can be purchased
as a replacement? Maybe 3M EXL wheels, as it seems to be.

sonds like a polybond wheel
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons wrote:
McMaster p/n 46575A73 ...

There must be some mistake - that item is $67.73. Surely, an 8" x 1"
polishing wheel CAN'T be that much?

And what's with the 3" arbor hole that it has? How do you mount a wheel
with a 3" hole? OK, OK, I know ... you make an adapter. But why should
you have to, why doesn't it come with some reasonably sized hole?

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-19, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Ned Simmons wrote:
McMaster p/n 46575A73 ...

There must be some mistake - that item is $67.73. Surely, an 8" x 1"
polishing wheel CAN'T be that much?

And what's with the 3" arbor hole that it has? How do you mount a wheel
with a 3" hole? OK, OK, I know ... you make an adapter. But why should
you have to, why doesn't it come with some reasonably sized hole?

Bob, you need to try a wheel like this. Then you will realize that
$67.73 is a bargain price for what you get. It does an incredible job
at polishing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 22:09:34 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote:
McMaster p/n 46575A73 ...

There must be some mistake - that item is $67.73. Surely, an 8" x 1"
polishing wheel CAN'T be that much?

That's what they cost. But if you're careful about how you present
sharp edges to the wheel they last a very long time. When I was in the
marine hardware fab business I ran 12" x 3" wide wheels on a large
polishing stand. Even with heavy use I don't think we used more than a
couple or three wheels a year.

And what's with the 3" arbor hole that it has? How do you mount a wheel
with a 3" hole? OK, OK, I know ... you make an adapter. But why should
you have to, why doesn't it come with some reasonably sized hole?

3M makes die cast adapters, they're below the wheels on the McMaster
page, and it wouldn't be difficult to make them yourself. That last 3"
of diameter isn't very useful on an 8" buffer, and as you note, the
wheels are expensive.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
McMaster p/n 46575A73 ...

There must be some mistake - that item is $67.73. Surely, an 8" x 1"
polishing wheel CAN'T be that much?

--Sounds a little high; for a 1" thick wheel, 6" dia the last time I
got one I paid maybe $35.- from sbbolts.com
--One trick I learned early on that makes 'em last a little longer:
if you're deburring a corner on a plate don't present the edge to the wheel
horizontally; do it closer to vertical; dunno why but it works. You may
groove the wheel but at least you'll still have most of the larger diameter
left behind, so to speak.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Blue Cross socks us
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : $23,000/yr!! ...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote:
McMaster p/n 46575A73 ...

There must be some mistake - that item is $67.73. Surely, an 8" x 1"
polishing wheel CAN'T be that much?

A typical Scotchbright wheel costs $45

And what's with the 3" arbor hole that it has? How do you mount a wheel
with a 3" hole? OK, OK, I know ... you make an adapter. But why should
you have to, why doesn't it come with some reasonably sized hole?

Bob

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote:
McMaster p/n 46575A73 ...

There must be some mistake - that item is $67.73. Surely, an 8" x 1"
polishing wheel CAN'T be that much?

A typical Scotchbright wheel costs $45

I actually bought that wheel from McMaster. It turned out to be Norton
Bear-Tex wheel, not 3M. It has the same exact feel as the old wheel
(which, IIRC, was not marked as 3M either) and it works amazingly well
at polishing things, being a bigger diameter. I just polished a 3/4"
by 3" cylinder in about 1-2 minutes, just to try it. I am very happy
with this wheel.

On my 3/4 HP Baldor grinder, now, I have this Bear-Tex wheel for
polishing, and a 3M DBX wheel for deburring.

I am sure that I will make my money back many times over, by polishing
things before putting them on ebay.