Posted to uk.d-i-y
Russ

Default what equipment for polishing alloy wheel rims?

I've got...or should say 'had'...mirror polished rims on my alloy
wheels.

http://www.randcjones.plus.com/pics/Dec%202005/bbs.JPG

The centres are painted and lacquered, but the rims are un-lacquered.
I've managed to keep them looking ok with a combination of polishing
and then waxing, but last week I didn't get time to clear the car, and
now the salt from the roads has started eating away at the rims.

The surface on one of 2 is starting to look a bit pitted....but you
can't really feel them.

The metal polish I was using before doesn't seem to be touching it now.

Any ideas on what I can use to clean them up and also what power
tool/polishers are available as I can only seem to find angle grinder
types and I don't think they will be small enough to do the job?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Russ wrote:
I've got...or should say 'had'...mirror polished rims on my alloy
wheels.

http://www.randcjones.plus.com/pics/Dec%202005/bbs.JPG

The centres are painted and lacquered, but the rims are un-lacquered.
I've managed to keep them looking ok with a combination of polishing
and then waxing, but last week I didn't get time to clear the car, and
now the salt from the roads has started eating away at the rims.

The surface on one of 2 is starting to look a bit pitted....but you
can't really feel them.

The metal polish I was using before doesn't seem to be touching it
now.

Any ideas on what I can use to clean them up and also what power
tool/polishers are available as I can only seem to find angle grinder
types and I don't think they will be small enough to do the job?

Thanks

There's only one type of drill for confind spaces and thats the DREMEL
type, Aldi where selling a counterpart for £12 two weeks ago? pop along and
see if they have one in your branch, they where also selling 101
attachments for the drill at £3.99.
As for the polish, laquered rims these should just be washed in soapy
water.
Cant really remeber the silver polish I used to use on me motorbike but I
got it from a car accessory shop in a tube which was coloured gold and
think it named (Silvo)?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Russ

I can't seem to find 'Aldi' on the web...I've not heard of them before?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Russ

DOH! ignore that last post!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Russ wrote:
I can't seem to find 'Aldi' on the web...I've not heard of them
before?

You will not find this tool on the Aldi website as it changes every week
for new items.
Only an instore visit will show whether they still have them in stock.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
snip
Cant really remeber the silver polish I used to use on me motorbike but I
got it from a car accessory shop in a tube which was coloured gold and
think it named (Silvo)?

Solvol Autosol?