Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Does the police hassle drivers for driving below speed limits

Ignoramus2215 wrote:

That Series II Bridgeport mill weighs 5000 lbs, plus or minus. My
trailer axles are 6,000 lbs, which means that I will be slightly above
the rating.

The easiest way from the seller would be on a highway, which is
actually a decently paved highway. In any case, I would like to drive
slowly, like 40-45 miles an hour, this way I would get the best of
both worlds, safe slow driving and highway quality road.

My question is, how likely will the police be to hassle me for driving
too slowly, if, say, the lowest speed limit is 45 and I am going 40.

Considering how they ignore granny doing 45 in the left lane barely
seeing over the steering wheel, I expect you'd be fine in the far right
lane with hazard flashers on paying attention to what you're doing.

You could also rent a two axle equipment trailer from United Rentals or
similar for about $60 with ~8,000# of cargo capacity.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-25, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus2215 wrote:

[...]

The mill will stay on the trailer for a few days, I cannot use a
rental.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 25, 1:33*pm, Ignoramus2215
On 2010-02-25, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus2215 wrote:

[...]

Rent the trailer, put your trailer on the rented trailer, put the mill
on your trailer....

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-25, Dave__67 wrote:

Rent the trailer, put your trailer on the rented trailer, put the mill
on your trailer....

that was funny
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , JR North wrote:
IMU, delay of 5 or more vehicles, state or LA highway will get you
popped.

Indiana has a law requiring a driver to move over and allow vehicles to pass
if he's obstructing more than *three*.

Hardly anyone knows this.

Including the police. :-(

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-26, Doug Miller wrote:
In article , JR North wrote:
IMU, delay of 5 or more vehicles, state or LA highway will get you
popped.

Indiana has a law requiring a driver to move over and allow vehicles to pass
if he's obstructing more than *three*.

Hardly anyone knows this.

Including the police. :-(

I did not even know it, but I always do it, if I have to drive slow on
a two lane road, I always pull over from time to time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Iggy said height was an issue. Trailer plus
trailer plus lathe = more height problems.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dave__67" wrote in
message

Rent the trailer, put your trailer on the rented
trailer, put the mill
on your trailer....

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It's like the Aesop fable about the man and the
bag of grain on a donkey. Someone came by, and
gave him a rebuke about all that weight on the
donkey. So, the old man shrugged, and hefted the
bag of grain onto his own shoulders and kept
riding.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ignoramus2215"
wrote in
message

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 06:54:10 -0500, Wes wrote:

(Doug Miller) wrote:

At that point in my life, there wasn't much chance of anyone keeping up to be
behind me.

I drove a 1968 Dodge Dart with a 225 slant six...

68 Plymouth Belvedere Sta Wagon with a 318. Dad's Duster that the 225 with 3 on the tree.

Wes

1953 Coronet Sierra Wagon 241 Hemi (3 speed + OD)
1957 Fargo 261 flathead Custom Express - 3 speed
1963 Valiant V100Custom 4 door 170 PB Automatic (Modified - 200+ HP)
1969 Dart Custom 4 door 225 automatic
1974 Dart Sport 225 automatic
1976 RamCXharger SE 4WD automatic - 318
1985 Lebaron T&C wagon - 2.6liter Mitso****ty Hemi automatic
1988 New Yorker 3.0 liter Mitso****ty V6 3 speed automatic
2002 PT Cruiser 2.4L 4 speed automatic
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 20:21:40 -0500, wrote:
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 00:57:43 GMT,
(Doug Miller)wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote:

Indiana has a law requiring a driver to move over and allow vehicles to pass

if he's obstructing more than *three*.

Hardly anyone knows this.

Including the police. :-(

Is that a new law or a fairly old law? I left Indiana in 1975 for good, days
after
graduating highschool.

That's when I graduated, too... It was on the books when I learned to drive.

At that point in my life, there wasn't much chance of anyone keeping up to be
behind me.

California's has been on the books forever, and IIRC if you have a
parade of six or more behind you, pull over and let them by.

But common sense says to do it after one or two when you find a good
spot, and more urgently with three plus behind you...

Because if any one of those drivers gets impatient (and they will!)
one of them is going to try a bonehead move like passing over the
blind crest of a hill...

Then you see the SEMI coming the other way with a car passing him...

Now you're the Dead Meat in the middle of a four-car sandwich with
no place to go. Trust me, that is NOT a good place to be.

I drove a 1968 Dodge Dart with a 225 slant six...

Which means it was good for 104 MPH. Still not too many going to be
wanting to pass. (my '69 did 104 for an hour straight across the
corner of Wyoming)

You want a slug, my 62 IH Scout with the Continental 152 and either
4.11 or 4.27 gears. Take the 304 (great motor) and chop off one bank.

One of my customers still has the Dart GTS with the 340 CID sleeper
motor in it as her Daily Driver. Little Old Lady from Studio City...

Twice she's tried relegating it to Spare Car and buying a newer car,
having computer problems or other modern stupidity with the new car
where it was spending weeks at the dealer.

Then selling it off and going back to the Dart, and that little
bugger still purrs like a kitten - till you let it growl...

More power to her.

-- Bruce --