Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus2215 Ignoramus2215 is offline

Default Does the police hassle drivers for driving below speed limits

On 2010-02-25, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus2215 wrote:

That Series II Bridgeport mill weighs 5000 lbs, plus or minus. My
trailer axles are 6,000 lbs, which means that I will be slightly above
the rating.

The easiest way from the seller would be on a highway, which is
actually a decently paved highway. In any case, I would like to drive
slowly, like 40-45 miles an hour, this way I would get the best of
both worlds, safe slow driving and highway quality road.

My question is, how likely will the police be to hassle me for driving
too slowly, if, say, the lowest speed limit is 45 and I am going 40.

Considering how they ignore granny doing 45 in the left lane barely
seeing over the steering wheel, I expect you'd be fine in the far right
lane with hazard flashers on paying attention to what you're doing.

You could also rent a two axle equipment trailer from United Rentals or
similar for about $60 with ~8,000# of cargo capacity.

The mill will stay on the trailer for a few days, I cannot use a
rental.