Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - The Slippery Nature of Secrets -- The shah wasn't supposed to fall; Iraq's WMD were supposed to be a 'slam dunk.'

The title tells it all.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...4681388.html?m
od=WSJ_Opinion_LEFTTopOpinion

The Wall Street Journal, 25 February 2010.

Joe Gwinn

PS: If the URL doesn't work, be sure that you got it all despite line wrapping.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 09:42:47 -0500, the infamous Joseph Gwinn
scrawled the following:

The title tells it all.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...4681388.html?m
od=WSJ_Opinion_LEFTTopOpinion

The Wall Street Journal, 25 February 2010.

Joe Gwinn

PS: If the URL doesn't work, be sure that you got it all despite line wrapping.

Would you do us a favor and use a URL shortener in your browser? Lots
of us follow and it's a PITA to try to get all the text from wrapped
lines every tie. Why your posts don't stay whole I don't know, Joe.
The works for most everyone else's posts. shrug

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...30934681388.ht
ml?m
od=WSJ_Opinion_LEFTTopOpinion

The Wall Street Journal, 25 February 2010.

Joe Gwinn

PS: If the URL doesn't work, be sure that you got it all despite line
wrapping.

Would you do us a favor and use a URL shortener in your browser? Lots
of us follow and it's a PITA to try to get all the text from wrapped
lines every tie. Why your posts don't stay whole I don't know, Joe.
The works for most everyone else's posts. shrug

Well, it's a mystery.. Maybe tinyurl.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 22:58:53 -0500, the infamous Joseph Gwinn
scrawled the following:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 09:42:47 -0500, the infamous Joseph Gwinn
scrawled the following:

The title tells it all.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...30934681388.ht
ml?m
od=WSJ_Opinion_LEFTTopOpinion

The Wall Street Journal, 25 February 2010.

Joe Gwinn

PS: If the URL doesn't work, be sure that you got it all despite line
wrapping.

Would you do us a favor and use a URL shortener in your browser? Lots
of us follow and it's a PITA to try to get all the text from wrapped
lines every tie. Why your posts don't stay whole I don't know, Joe.
The works for most everyone else's posts. shrug

Well, it's a mystery.. Maybe tinyurl.

I figured out what it is. Your damned MAC symbols aren't as robust as
M$ Windoze symbols. Do they make Boost for MACs?

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong
remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...70230934681388
.ht
ml?m
od=WSJ_Opinion_LEFTTopOpinion

The Wall Street Journal, 25 February 2010.

Joe Gwinn

PS: If the URL doesn't work, be sure that you got it all despite line
wrapping.

Would you do us a favor and use a URL shortener in your browser? Lots
of us follow and it's a PITA to try to get all the text from wrapped
lines every tie. Why your posts don't stay whole I don't know, Joe.
The works for most everyone else's posts. shrug

Well, it's a mystery.. Maybe tinyurl.

I figured out what it is. Your damned MAC symbols aren't as robust as
M$ Windoze symbols. Do they make Boost for MACs?

Symbols? Aren't these all in a standard ISO character set? This does not vary
by platform type.

Which symbol sets work and which do not work for you? The newsreader can be
told which set to use.

What does "Boost" do? (The name is too common a word to google for.)

I'm also running into a non-technical problem - the WSJ seems to now be putting
stuff I used to post pointers to behind a paywall. I recall an article quoting
Robert Murdock (who owns the WSJ) saying that they (the newspapers) could not go
on giving content away. So we may be seeing implementation of a new policy.
I'll be digging.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 11:49:26 -0500, the infamous Joseph Gwinn
scrawled the following:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

I figured out what it is. Your damned MAC symbols aren't as robust as
M$ Windoze symbols. Do they make Boost for MACs?

Symbols? Aren't these all in a standard ISO character set? This does not vary
by platform type.

Damned literalists, I swear.

Which symbol sets work and which do not work for you? The newsreader can be
told which set to use.

.
I had it set to US-ASCII. Trying Western Europe (codepage 1252)

What does "Boost" do? (The name is too common a word to google for.)

Boost is one of the senior vitaminized milkshakes. Chocolate Geritol.

I'm also running into a non-technical problem - the WSJ seems to now be putting
stuff I used to post pointers to behind a paywall. I recall an article quoting
Robert Murdock (who owns the WSJ) saying that they (the newspapers) could not go
on giving content away. So we may be seeing implementation of a new policy.
I'll be digging.

Thanks. I used to get the free feed, too, but I found that I was
wasting too much time following each thread and had to stop for my
sanity. Every once in awhile, they'd slip in a link to a page with a
paragraph on it and a link for the paid section if you wanted to view
the whole article.

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong
remedy." -- Ernest Benn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I figured out what it is. Your damned MAC symbols aren't as robust as
M$ Windoze symbols. Do they make Boost for MACs?

Symbols? Aren't these all in a standard ISO character set? This does not
vary
by platform type.

Damned literalists, I swear.

Which symbol sets work and which do not work for you? The newsreader can be
told which set to use.

.
I had it set to US-ASCII. Trying Western Europe (codepage 1252)

What does "Boost" do? (The name is too common a word to google for.)

Boost is one of the senior vitaminized milkshakes. Chocolate Geritol.

Forgot the smiley he did.

I'm also running into a non-technical problem - the WSJ seems to now be
putting
stuff I used to post pointers to behind a paywall. I recall an article
quoting
Robert Murdock (who owns the WSJ) saying that they (the newspapers) could
not go
on giving content away. So we may be seeing implementation of a new policy.

I'll be digging.

Thanks. I used to get the free feed, too, but I found that I was
wasting too much time following each thread and had to stop for my
sanity. Every once in awhile, they'd slip in a link to a page with a
paragraph on it and a link for the paid section if you wanted to view
the whole article.

Well, I'm still semi hooked. Though I drop out when the thread degenerates into
namecalling. People today just aren't that good at namecalling. Used to be
that one could not call oneself a genteleman if one could not curse someone out
for at least a half hour without repetition or profanity.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I'm also running into a non-technical problem - the WSJ seems to now be putting
stuff I used to post pointers to behind a paywall. I recall an article quoting
Robert Murdock (who owns the WSJ) saying that they (the newspapers) could not go
on giving content away. So we may be seeing implementation of a new policy.
I'll be digging.

Thanks. I used to get the free feed, too, but I found that I was
wasting too much time following each thread and had to stop for my
sanity. Every once in awhile, they'd slip in a link to a page with a
paragraph on it and a link for the paid section if you wanted to view
the whole article.

I quite following the emailed links I've been getting for years for the same reason. Fwiw,
they started it back a long time before murdock with John Funds pieces iirc.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

Well, I'm still semi hooked. Though I drop out when the thread degenerates into
namecalling. People today just aren't that good at namecalling. Used to be
that one could not call oneself a genteleman if one could not curse someone out
for at least a half hour without repetition or profanity.

What is the use of subtlety if the audience doesn't comprehend your wit?

Wes