Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Are u supposed to sharpen breaker chisels ???

Are u supposed to sharpen breaker chisels ???

As my dewalt breaker does not seem as good lately.

Are u supposed to lean on them with all your weight to get them to
work.

Or is there something more serious ??
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 9, 1:59 pm, itsafluke wrote:
Are u supposed to sharpen breaker chisels ???

Yes, based on there being a re-sharpening charge when I hired one.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

good thinking

Yes, based on there being a re-sharpening charge when I hired one.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from itsafluke contains these words:

Are u supposed to lean on them with all your weight to get them to
work.

I find with impact tools they seem to work better if you leave them
loose so they dance rather than leaning on them.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 13:59:41 GMT, itsafluke wrote:

|!Are u supposed to sharpen breaker chisels ???
|!
|!As my dewalt breaker does not seem as good lately.
|!
|!Are u supposed to lean on them with all your weight to get them to
|!work.
|!
|!Or is there something more serious ??

Yes *all* chisels need resharpening regularly.
I use a small bench grinding wheel something like
---
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
20,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.org
For Yorkshire Dialect go to www.hyphenologist.co.uk/songs/
also PG Nos 2888, 3232, 17472, 17799

Posted to uk.d-i-y

itsafluke wrote:

Are u supposed to sharpen breaker chisels ???

I always do...

As my dewalt breaker does not seem as good lately.

Are u supposed to lean on them with all your weight to get them to
work.

Have you lubricated the shank of the bit from time to time? That will
stop the bit sticking in the chuck.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"itsafluke" wrote in message
Are u supposed to sharpen breaker chisels ???

As my dewalt breaker does not seem as good lately.

Are u supposed to lean on them with all your weight to get them to
work.

Or is there something more serious ??

All chisels rely on transmitting a force -thump - onto a thin "working end'.
iIn a sense the 'working end' acts as a force multiplier concentrating the
'thump'
onto the work-surface - and in the case of a 'breaker' overcoming the
integral bond-strength of the material. The 'finer' the working edge - the
less 'Thump' is required; double the width of the working edge (let it get
blunted- and guess what .... ?

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

itsafluke wrote:
Are u supposed to sharpen breaker chisels ???

You can do.

As my dewalt breaker does not seem as good lately.

Are u supposed to lean on them with all your weight to get them to
work.

No

Or is there something more serious ??

As someone else has mentioned, apply some lubrication to the end of the bit
that goes into the chuck, also, if it's not a dedicated breaker but a drill
as well, insert a drill bit and drill half a dozen holes - this is
reccomended from time to time to prevent the internal mechanisms from
seizing into one position

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

Yes *all* chisels need resharpening regularly.
I use a small bench grinding wheel something like

I use an angle grinder. Or a bench sander.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
itsafluke wrote:

Are u supposed to sharpen breaker chisels ???

I always do...

As my dewalt breaker does not seem as good lately.

Are u supposed to lean on them with all your weight to get them to
work.

Have you lubricated the shank of the bit from time to time? That will stop
the bit sticking in the chuck.

That is a good point. My Makita loves a bit of grease on it's shank but my
DeWalt manual tells you not to use it. They both need some pressure to make
the SDS start to thump.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Feb, 18:43, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Dave Fawthrop wrote:

Yes *all* chisels need resharpening regularly.

I use an angle grinder. Or a bench sander.

I use a dangle grinder + grinding disc, but they have one gotcha. They
run at such high speeds that they'll overheat the workpiece and ruin
the temper very quickly. So use with care not to let the chisel tip
heat up.

BTW I've found grit discs quicker going than diamond on HSS. Still not
too sure why.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
crb crb is offline

On 9 Feb, 14:17, " wrote:
Yes, based on there being a re-sharpening charge when I hired one.

HSS offer a resharpening and heat-treatment service for breaker steels
even if you do not hire anything. Last time I used the service it was
about £3 per steel IIRC. I found that re-sharpening them myself
without the heat treatment was a waste of time.

CRB