Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve

Default Aren't chimneys supposed to be hollow?

Hi

Any ideas on the following problem gratefully received.

We moved into a bungalow a few months ago. The chimney in the kitchen
appears to have been bricked up and it looks like (from old pipe work) that
it was once used to vent an oil-fired boiler.

The chimney is not capped, and there's evidence of damp on the chimneybreast
upstairs, so I thought I'd put in a vent near the bottom. The plan was to
drill a few large holes near the base of the chimney in the kitchen and
cover them with a grill.

I've drilled in from the front and side but the chimney doesn't seem to be
hollow! The chimneybreast is 19"wide. I've drilled to a depth of 10" from
middle of one side and still haven't broken through. If the chimney is
symmetrical, this suggests it isn't hollow!

So, any ideas on how to proceed, gratefully received.

Festive greeting to all.

Cheers,

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

The actual flue will probably only be 9" square, so a small proportion
of the width of the chimney breast. It is also quite common for the
flue not to be straight but angled, particularly if the same stack is
used on more than one floor.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ophelia

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Oh dear worried How will Santa get down(

http://www.qpat.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

[...]

It could be 9" clay pipes with a stainless steel insert if there was
gas or oil used in it. You have got the right room have you? How about
some piccies to facilitate the detective work?
(Inside and out please.)

The top needs a cap. Perhaps a paving tile; which should be raised
slightly for venting gaps in the mortar. But before doing that check
for jackdaw's nests. Drop marbles or somesuch down it to guesstimate
and have someone inside listening for the likely backing.

Could be muffled with debris though, especially if the front has been
bricked up. You should check the leadwork while you are up there and
look for loose and/or broken tiles.

As for the inside, presumably you are going to strip the wallpaper over
it? Wet the plaster and it will tell you where the brick joints are
(hopefully.) The straight joints are the infil.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Autolycus

"Steve" wrote in message

We moved into a bungalow a few months ago. The chimney in the kitchen
appears to have been bricked up and it looks like (from old pipe work)
that it was once used to vent an oil-fired boiler.

The chimney is not capped, and there's evidence of damp on the
chimneybreast upstairs, so I thought I'd put in a vent near the
bottom. The plan was to drill a few large holes near the base of the
chimney in the kitchen and cover them with a grill.

Are you sure about this idea? The kitchen often contains quantities of
warm, moist air. Let it into the chimney through your vents, and it
will hit a much cooler surface in the bedroom. Result - condensation -
damp patches.

Hang on... bungalow ... upstairs??

Can you vent to the outside instead?

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve

Many thanks for the replies, all.

I'm rethinking in the light of Kevin's comments - that ventilation would let
loads of damp air from the kitchen rise and condense on the higher part of
the chimney. Maybe that's why there was no vent fitted.

(Incidentally it's a 'dormer' bungalow, so there is an upstairs!)

If I go ahead, I'll try a few more deep holes.

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year.

Steve

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg

Moist air from the kitchen would not condense as to be a problem -
after all it will be getting through ventilation and so moisture will
be evapourated and expelled via the top outlet. Its more likely that no
vent was fitted because the previous owner/builder was not bothered or
did not have a clue about the need for venting the flue

The fire recess may be filled up so a vent at higher level where the
flue would start may be possible - centre of the brest and about
900-1200mm up from the heath to miss any lintel.

Alternatively put a vent in the brest in the upstairs room below where
the damp is

Wait at least untill boxing day to do any drilling though! lol

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve

Thanks for that dg. Yes, a vent upstairs sound like a good compromise.

Cheers

Steve

"dg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Moist air from the kitchen would not condense as to be a problem -
after all it will be getting through ventilation and so moisture will
be evapourated and expelled via the top outlet. Its more likely that no
vent was fitted because the previous owner/builder was not bothered or
did not have a clue about the need for venting the flue

The fire recess may be filled up so a vent at higher level where the
flue would start may be possible - centre of the brest and about
900-1200mm up from the heath to miss any lintel.

Alternatively put a vent in the brest in the upstairs room below where
the damp is

Wait at least untill boxing day to do any drilling though! lol

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

If the chimney is symmetrical, this suggests it isn't hollow!

Chimneys are rarely symmetrical. Usually the downstairs flue is on one side
and the upstairs is on the other. Normally the
flues appear central at the opening (for aesthetic reaons) and then
immediately rise diagonally to one side so that the opening on the next
storey can also appear central.

Christian.

removing chimneys werd UK diy 8 December 16th 05 04:32 PM
Wooden Hollow Forms - Spitting in the Wind? charlie b Woodturning 9 November 14th 05 09:38 PM
Safety of metal chimneys butch Home Ownership 3 April 4th 05 02:27 AM
Hollow Drill Question J T Woodworking 17 February 24th 05 08:02 AM